Velocity Reviews

-   -   google desktop ponderings. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572544-google-desktop-ponderings.html)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-18-2004 04:07 AM

google desktop ponderings.

I wonder how long it will take for someone to open up google desktop to
remote access/searching?

personally, I'd love this, passworded of course, but being able to
search my home machine, click and "download" the email/file that I want
to have at work...

sure theres plenty of potential for abuse, but ut'd be handy for the
geek elite :)

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Allistar 10-19-2004 06:55 AM

Re: google desktop ponderings.

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> I wonder how long it will take for someone to open up google desktop to
> remote access/searching?
>
> personally, I'd love this, passworded of course, but being able to
> search my home machine, click and "download" the email/file that I want
> to have at work...
>
> sure theres plenty of potential for abuse, but ut'd be handy for the
> geek elite :)

Sounds like you should use ssh.

Allistar.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-19-2004 08:52 AM

Allistar wrote:
>>I wonder how long it will take for someone to open up google desktop to
>>remote access/searching?
>>personally, I'd love this, passworded of course, but being able to
>>search my home machine, click and "download" the email/file that I want
>>to have at work...

>>sure theres plenty of potential for abuse, but ut'd be handy for the
>>geek elite :)

> Sounds like you should use ssh.

I vpn in.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is dave@the.domain.above

Allistar 10-19-2004 10:48 AM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>>>I wonder how long it will take for someone to open up google desktop to
>>>remote access/searching?
>>>personally, I'd love this, passworded of course, but being able to
>>>search my home machine, click and "download" the email/file that I want
>>>to have at work...

>>>sure theres plenty of potential for abuse, but ut'd be handy for the
>>>geek elite :)

>> Sounds like you should use ssh.

> I vpn in.

I do to (to one of my clients). VPN provides access to the office subnet,
ssh provides access to everything on my office computer from home,
including the file system, applications etc. Seems to do everything the
suggested google desktop would achieve.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-19-2004 07:12 PM

Allistar wrote:
>>>Sounds like you should use ssh.

>>I vpn in.

> I do to (to one of my clients). VPN provides access to the office subnet,
> ssh provides access to everything on my office computer from home,
> including the file system, applications etc. Seems to do everything the
> suggested google desktop would achieve.

yes but it would bring it to the unwashed masses.

personally I'm looking at taking the usual search function of my start
menu and just using google search, it is fantastic.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz