Velocity Reviews

-   -   WindowsXP on laptop zapped, can I get install disk from supplier? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572440-windowsxp-on-laptop-zapped-can-i-get-install-disk-from-supplier.html)

Chris Wilkinson 10-10-2004 07:17 AM

WindowsXP on laptop zapped, can I get install disk from supplier?

Hi there,

A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
was realised)...

The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

--
Kind regards,

Harry 10-10-2004 07:35 AM

Re: WindowsXP on laptop zapped, can I get install disk from supplier?

Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
> was realised)...
>
> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

Why don't you ask the supplier?

JohnO 10-10-2004 07:42 AM

"Chris Wilkinson" <misterblobby@NOSPAMsnap.net.nz> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
> was realised)...
>
> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
> Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

Chris Wilkinson 10-10-2004 08:02 AM

JohnO wrote:
> "Chris Wilkinson" <misterblobby@NOSPAMsnap.net.nz> wrote in message
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
>>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
>>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
>>was realised)...
>>
>>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
>>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
>>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
>>
>>--
>>Kind regards,
>>
>>Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
>>Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

> Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
> bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

Yup, it sure is there. I'm hoping the supplier will happily supply the
disk since it wasn't my laptop. It was however my oooops!.... :-)

--
Kind regards,

JohnO 10-10-2004 08:30 AM

> Hi there,
>
> JohnO wrote:
>> "Chris Wilkinson" <misterblobby@NOSPAMsnap.net.nz> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
>>>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
>>>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
>>>was realised)...
>>>
>>>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
>>>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
>>>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
>>>
>>>--
>>>Kind regards,
>>>
>>>Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
>>>Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

>> Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
>> bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

> Yup, it sure is there. I'm hoping the supplier will happily supply the
> disk since it wasn't my laptop. It was however my oooops!.... :-)

It's been discussed in this newsgroup not too long ago - I forget the
details of how exactly you go about ordering the replacement media from MS,
but I'm pretty sure there's no requirement to show proof of purchase,
ownership or anything like that.

Chris Mayhew 10-10-2004 08:45 AM

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
> was realised)...
>
> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling
was that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a
license from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows
installation and that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In
my case, a Dell, the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which
worked fine when reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

JohnO 10-10-2004 08:51 AM

"Chris Mayhew" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
>> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
>> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
>> was realised)...
>>
>> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
>> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
>> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
>>

> When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling was
> that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a license
> from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows installation and
> that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In my case, a Dell,
> the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which worked fine when
> reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

I thought that meant you couldn't use a laptop system restore cd to install
on a different machine - as it installs hardware specific drivers etc.

Subject to getting a standard XP install disk, you can install it on a
laptop, but it won't install all the drivers for that machine's mobo etc. It
will work, bit not particularly well. However you can subseuently download
all the required drivers from the manufacturer.

E. Scrooge 10-10-2004 09:30 AM

Re: WindowsXP on laptop zapped, can I get install disk from supplier?

"Chris Wilkinson" <misterblobby@NOSPAMsnap.net.nz> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> JohnO wrote:
> > "Chris Wilkinson" <misterblobby@NOSPAMsnap.net.nz> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi there,
> >>
> >>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
> >>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
> >>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
> >>was realised)...
> >>
> >>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
> >>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
> >>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
> >>
> >>--
> >>Kind regards,
> >>
> >>Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
> >>Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

> > Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
> > bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

> Yup, it sure is there. I'm hoping the supplier will happily supply the
> disk since it wasn't my laptop. It was however my oooops!.... :-)
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Chris Wilkinson

At least you're honest about your self inflicted problem.

E. Scrooge

Chris Mayhew 10-10-2004 07:39 PM

JohnO wrote:
> "Chris Mayhew" <user@example.net> wrote in message
>
>>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
>>>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
>>>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
>>>was realised)...
>>>
>>>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
>>>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
>>>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
>>>

>>When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling was
>>that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a license
>>from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows installation and
>>that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In my case, a Dell,
>>the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which worked fine when
>>reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

> I thought that meant you couldn't use a laptop system restore cd to install
> on a different machine - as it installs hardware specific drivers etc.
>
> Subject to getting a standard XP install disk, you can install it on a
> laptop, but it won't install all the drivers for that machine's mobo etc. It
> will work, bit not particularly well. However you can subseuently download
> all the required drivers from the manufacturer.

My Dell came with a separate "System" CD with all the drivers on. I
used the Dell XP CD to perform a fresh install on the Dell it came with,
not another PC

Italian Jobs 10-10-2004 08:39 PM

Re: WindowsXP on laptop zapped, can I get install disk from supplier?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:45:35 +1300, Chris Mayhew <user@example.net>
wrote:

>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
>> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
>> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
>> was realised)...
>>
>> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
>> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
>> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
>>

>When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling
>was that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a
>license from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows
>installation and that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In
>my case, a Dell, the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which
>worked fine when reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

I have even used my Dell disk on non Dell systems - with the
appropriate key.