Velocity Reviews

-   -   PC won't start (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572365-pc-wont-start.html)

jakec 10-04-2004 09:21 PM

PC won't start

Hi,
My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
ATX case and then reinstalled it.

Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
joy - no fans.

I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
start from anything.

Help!

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-04-2004 10:29 PM

Re: PC won't start

jakec wrote:
> My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
> Pentium III 933

Im not sure about this board, but was it jumpered? or is it multiplier
all done in software?

heh, nice cross posting, next time limit it a tad, you've broken at
least one group charter.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

ftran999 10-04-2004 10:30 PM

Re: PC won't start

"jakec" <jakecollins@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:baa5cf3b.0410041321.7dff6fed@posting.google.c om...
> Hi,
> My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
> Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
> DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
> ATX case and then reinstalled it.
>
> Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
> start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
> There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
> everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
> joy - no fans.
>
> I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
> light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
> start from anything.
>
> Help!

First question,have you updated your MB with the latest bios so that it may
support the new processor. I ask this because the way I read the Abit site
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=97 ,
the VA6 supports up to 733MHZ. This was most likely the original
configuration for the board so that's why I suggest upgrading your bios. If
you have upgraded and are still having the same problem my guess would be
that you have a faulty processor. I'm assuming this since you have tried
the same processor in two different MBs and have gotten the same results
I would contact your vendor and tell them your problem. Perhaps they will
send you a replacement processor.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.

Timberwolf 10-05-2004 12:45 AM

Re: PC won't start

"jakec" <jakecollins@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:baa5cf3b.0410041321.7dff6fed@posting.google.c om...
> Hi,
> My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
> Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
> DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
> ATX case and then reinstalled it.
>
> Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
> start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
> There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
> everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
> joy - no fans.
>
> I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
> light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
> start from anything.
>
> Help!

Try reading your motherboard specs before upgrades---from what info you give
(abit va6)
it would seem reasonable from the user manual from abit
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/...6&file=va6.pdf
that you have been overclocking as the max speed cpu is given as p3 450-733
(100&133 FSB) p2 233-450 (66&100FSB) Celeron 266-533 (66 FSB)
However it does state that it "reserves the support for future p3 cpu"
assuming you have the latest "update" (bios) and you say it ran your celeron
950--check your wiring---either that or it is toast
personally i would quit wasting time with it and aquire something more
recent (finances allowing)

just a comment
Timberwolf

"I do not mind dying, i just do not want to be there when it
happens"-----nice one Spike

~misfit~ 10-05-2004 01:04 AM

Re: PC won't start

jakec wrote:
> Hi,
> My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
> Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
> DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
> ATX case and then reinstalled it.
>
> Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
> start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
> There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
> everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
> joy - no fans.
>
> I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
> light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
> start from anything.

Next time try changing one thing at a time, then testing. Your approach to
upgrading seems similar to your approach to crossposting, not the best.

Can't help you, too many changes, too little info.
--
~misfit~

Kaius 10-06-2004 01:00 AM

Re: PC won't start

It's the power supply. You don't even get the fan running, and you get a
dim light on a separate board. Sounds to me it's either the power supply
doesn't have enough juice for your new computer, or the power supply just
died. You need around 300 - 350W minimum to run the Pentium III and all the
drives reliably. You can by the power supply separately from the case.
Just make sure it's an ATX form factor.

Raymond 10-06-2004 05:56 AM

Re: PC won't start

Nah, 250W is good enough for a PIII. Got
a system like that here filled with components
(3 HDD, 3 sticks of RAM, 5 cards, DVD-ROM,
FDD, and overclocked) that's been doing just fine
for years, using a cheap 250W PSU .

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-06-2004 08:34 PM

Re: PC won't start

Raymond wrote:
> the most expensive thing in it is the old
> Abit motherboard, custom built of course.

no wonder it was expensive, a custom built motherboard... sheesh.

Duane's Mum 10-06-2004 10:37 PM

Re: PC won't start

fa928f84a5140ffaddb0178a01c96c8@news...handari.pvt.np:

--
Linux makes you stupid

Waylon Kenning 10-07-2004 10:38 AM

Re: PC won't start

It seems like Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:33:15 +0545 was when Djed-neb-heqa
IV <djed-neb-heqa.iv@rec.games.pillow.biters> said Blah blah blah...

>When a tampon untoward the flowerpot is low-cost, an attention-seeking penis
>fondles a fungal giblet.

Now really, how many attention-seeking penises do you know that
folders a giblet let alone a fungal giblet?:)
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec