Velocity Reviews

-   -   JPEG virus (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572316-jpeg-virus.html)

will 09-30-2004 04:43 AM

JPEG virus

hi,

how do you check if your browser is still vulnerable? is there a test
JPEG to try?

thanks

will.

Harry 09-30-2004 04:51 AM

Re: JPEG virus

will wrote:

> hi,
>
> how do you check if your browser is still vulnerable? is there a test
> JPEG to try?

Which browser on which OS?

will 09-30-2004 05:08 AM

Re: JPEG virus

> Which browser on which OS?

#### IE6 and Firefox 0.9.2 on W2K.

thanks

will.

Gordon 09-30-2004 05:36 AM

Re: JPEG virus

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:08:33 +1200, will wrote:

>> Which browser on which OS?

> #### IE6 and Firefox 0.9.2 on W2K.

Not exactly on the topic

In the Oct 04 edition of PC User Rose Vines launches one scathing attack
on MSIE. Okay so poster here have done better in the past, but here is
a mainstream publication almost ordering one to ditch MSIE.

For it is

1. It's a security nightmare
2. It's a target
3. It's a dead-end
4. It's broken
5. It's a has-been.

Unquote.

BTW Firefox is now at 1.0PR1. http://www.mozilla.org Grap a copy. It free.
Use and see if you can find a bug. Unlike MSIE Firefox is being developed.

Also folks, remember Firefox has extensions, those small programmes/add
ons which allow Firefox to do something extra.They are under the Tools =>
Extensions menu.

Max Burke 09-30-2004 05:44 AM

Re: JPEG virus

> Gordon scribbled:

> 1. It's a security nightmare
> 2. It's a target
> 3. It's a dead-end
> 4. It's broken
> 5. It's a has-been.
>
> Unquote.
>
> BTW Firefox is now at 1.0PR1. http://www.mozilla.org Grap a copy. It
> free. Use and see if you can find a bug. Unlike MSIE Firefox is being
> developed.

FYI:
Security Alert, September 28, 2004
Multiple Vulnerabilities in Mozilla-based Web Browsers

Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox,
and Mozilla Thunderbird, the most severe of which could compromise a system.
The vulnerabilities (discovered by Georgi Guninski, Wladimir Palant, Gael
Delalleau, Mats Palmgren, Jesse Ruderman, Daniel Koukola, Andrew Schultz,
and Harald Milz) include a
long list of problems--too many to list in this security alert! The Mozilla
organization recommends that affected users immediately upgrade to the
latest release of software. For complete details about each of the
vulnerabilities, be sure to read the article on our Web site.
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...991/43991.html

--
mlvburke@xxxxxxxx.nz
Found Images

Bret 09-30-2004 06:00 AM

Re: JPEG virus

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:44:30 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

>> Gordon scribbled:

>> 1. It's a security nightmare
>> 2. It's a target
>> 3. It's a dead-end
>> 4. It's broken
>> 5. It's a has-been.
>>
>> Unquote.
>>
>> BTW Firefox is now at 1.0PR1. http://www.mozilla.org Grap a copy. It
>> free. Use and see if you can find a bug. Unlike MSIE Firefox is being
>> developed.

> FYI:
> Security Alert, September 28, 2004
> Multiple Vulnerabilities in Mozilla-based Web Browsers
>
> Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox,
> and Mozilla Thunderbird, the most severe of which could compromise a system.
> The vulnerabilities (discovered by Georgi Guninski, Wladimir Palant, Gael
> Delalleau, Mats Palmgren, Jesse Ruderman, Daniel Koukola, Andrew Schultz,
> and Harald Milz) include a
> long list of problems--too many to list in this security alert! The Mozilla
> organization recommends that affected users immediately upgrade to the
> latest release of software. For complete details about each of the
> vulnerabilities, be sure to read the article on our Web site.
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...991/43991.html

Wow Max, impressive!
Those open source guys are really on to it, itīs a pity MS rely on
security by obscurity.

Ryan Jacobs 09-30-2004 06:01 AM

Re: JPEG virus

"Max Burke" <mlvburke@xxxxxxxxx.nz> wrote in message
>> Gordon scribbled:

>> 1. It's a security nightmare
>> 2. It's a target
>> 3. It's a dead-end
>> 4. It's broken
>> 5. It's a has-been.
>>
>> Unquote.
>>
>> BTW Firefox is now at 1.0PR1. http://www.mozilla.org Grap a copy. It
>> free. Use and see if you can find a bug. Unlike MSIE Firefox is being
>> developed.

> FYI:
> Security Alert, September 28, 2004
> Multiple Vulnerabilities in Mozilla-based Web Browsers
>
> Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox,
> and Mozilla Thunderbird, the most severe of which could compromise a
> system. The vulnerabilities (discovered by Georgi Guninski, Wladimir
> Palant, Gael Delalleau, Mats Palmgren, Jesse Ruderman, Daniel Koukola,
> Andrew Schultz, and Harald Milz) include a
> long list of problems--too many to list in this security alert! The
> Mozilla organization recommends that affected users immediately upgrade to
> the latest release of software. For complete details about each of the
> vulnerabilities, be sure to read the article on our Web site.
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...991/43991.html

Keep it quiet :-)

The anti MS/IE/OE crowd are delirious in their ignorance of the
vulnerabilities of their preferred apps.

At least we get to laugh at them.

AD. 09-30-2004 06:39 AM

Re: JPEG virus

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:01:28 +1200, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

> Keep it quiet :-)
>
> The anti MS/IE/OE crowd are delirious in their ignorance of the
> vulnerabilities of their preferred apps.
>
> At least we get to laugh at them.

Why would an IE/OE user laugh at others?

It's like someone who is standing up to their neck in a pool of ****
laughing at a passerby for stepping in a dog turd.

Seems a little stupid to me.

Cheers
Anton

steve 09-30-2004 06:46 AM

Re: JPEG virus

will wrote:

> hi,
>
> how do you check if your browser is still vulnerable? is there a test
> JPEG to try?
>
> thanks
>
> will.

This is another Windows virus, right?

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

steve 09-30-2004 06:48 AM

Re: JPEG virus

Max Burke wrote:

> FYI:
> Security Alert, September 28, 2004
> Multiple Vulnerabilities in Mozilla-based Web Browsers
>
> Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox,
> and Mozilla Thunderbird, the most severe of which could compromise a
> system. The vulnerabilities (discovered by Georgi Guninski, Wladimir
> Palant, Gael Delalleau, Mats Palmgren, Jesse Ruderman, Daniel Koukola,
> Andrew Schultz, and Harald Milz) include a
> long list of problems--too many to list in this security alert! The
> Mozilla organization recommends that affected users immediately upgrade to
> the latest release of software. For complete details about each of the
> vulnerabilities, be sure to read the article on our Web site.
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...991/43991.html

No version information.....looks like the typical FUD post from Max Burke.

One thing to remember: the viruses are written for MS IE....."It's a
target".