Velocity Reviews

-   -   MythTV - Handle 2 tuners (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572284-mythtv-handle-2-tuners.html)

The Hobbit 09-27-2004 03:51 AM

MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

Hi All,

Hoping that someone close to home can help out on this one before we go
bothering the list with the query. We've searched the MythTV archives and
have seen posts by others with this issue, but no resolution (I could find)
yet.

The problem is we can't seem to switch between the channels when they exists
on different cards. i.e. if we're watching channel 2 on the el-cheapo and
want to switch to channel 41 (cartoon network on Sky via S-Vid on the
Hauppauge) it won't work. If we're watching channel 2 FTA via the RF input
on the Hauppauge and want to switch to a sky channel (different input - same
card) then it will switch.

I know you can hit 'Y' to switch tuner cards, but want to simply be able to
hit '2' on the remote then '41' to change channels.

System is FC2, running Myth .16. We have 2 tuner cards, an el-cheapo and a
Hauppauge 250.

We're wanting to use the 250 as the primary card for recording, and also the
card for viewing sky (via the S-Video inputs) leaving the el-cheapo for
watching live FTA TV.

The WAF is key to the successful installation of this device into the stereo
rack, if the Wife and kids (5 y.o.) can't use this then it's been a waste of
time and new PC gear points (which I'd have otherwise put toward updating
the graphics card on my primary machine).

Any suggestions for configurations which would deliver the desired effect
would be gratefully received - We'll post back with any successes we
encounter for the sake of the archives.

Help??

JohnO 09-27-2004 04:49 AM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

"The Hobbit" <Bilbo.Baggins@bag.end.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Hoping that someone close to home can help out on this one before we go
> bothering the list with the query. We've searched the MythTV archives and
> have seen posts by others with this issue, but no resolution (I could

find)
> yet.
>
> The problem is we can't seem to switch between the channels when they

exists
> on different cards. i.e. if we're watching channel 2 on the el-cheapo and
> want to switch to channel 41 (cartoon network on Sky via S-Vid on the
> Hauppauge) it won't work. If we're watching channel 2 FTA via the RF input
> on the Hauppauge and want to switch to a sky channel (different input -

same
> card) then it will switch.
>
> I know you can hit 'Y' to switch tuner cards, but want to simply be able

> hit '2' on the remote then '41' to change channels.
>
> System is FC2, running Myth .16. We have 2 tuner cards, an el-cheapo and a
> Hauppauge 250.
>
> We're wanting to use the 250 as the primary card for recording, and also

the
> card for viewing sky (via the S-Video inputs) leaving the el-cheapo for
> watching live FTA TV.
>
> The WAF is key to the successful installation of this device into the

stereo
> rack, if the Wife and kids (5 y.o.) can't use this then it's been a waste

of
> time and new PC gear points (which I'd have otherwise put toward updating
> the graphics card on my primary machine).
>
> Any suggestions for configurations which would deliver the desired effect
> would be gratefully received - We'll post back with any successes we
> encounter for the sake of the archives.
>
> Help??

Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.

However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it should
always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something already.

BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.

The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV partition
and just use GBPVR and am loving it.

www.gbpvr.com

Cheers,
JohnO

Nathan Mercer 09-27-2004 05:06 AM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

JohnO wrote:

> Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
>
> However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
> first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it should
> always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something already.
>
> BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
> This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
> it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
> encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
> h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
> inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
>
> The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
> working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
> multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
> downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
> inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV partition
> and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
>
> www.gbpvr.com

Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed

Cheers
Nathan

JohnO 09-27-2004 07:50 AM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

"Nathan Mercer" <nmercer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> JohnO wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
>>
>> However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
>> first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it
>> should
>> always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something
>> already.
>>
>> BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at
>> GBPVR.
>> This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that
>> against
>> it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
>> encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
>> h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
>> inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
>>
>> The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
>> working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
>> multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder,
>> automagic
>> downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients
>> using
>> inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV
>> partition
>> and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
>>
>> www.gbpvr.com

> Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
> I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed
>
> Cheers
> Nathan

AFAIK there's no official XML feed . As you know SkyTV has resisted pressure
to catch up with the rest of the world and issue an XM EPG. However there
are some clever buggers out there that have written HTML scrapers that
produce an XMLTV file. Sky would like to close them down if they could.
Bastards.

Craig Shore 09-27-2004 07:51 AM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:49:43 +1200, "JohnO" <john@nospam.com> wrote:

>BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
>This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
>it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
>encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
>h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
>inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
>
>The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
>working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
>multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
>downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
>inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV partition
>and just use GBPVR and am loving it.

What do you use for a remote control to control the PC and where did you get it?

JohnO 09-27-2004 08:10 AM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

"Craig Shore" <craigshore@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:49:43 +1200, "JohnO" <john@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
>>This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
>>it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
>>encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
>>h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
>>inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
>>
>>The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
>>working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
>>multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
>>downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
>>inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV
>>partition
>>and just use GBPVR and am loving it.

> What do you use for a remote control to control the PC and where did you
> get it?

The Lola X10 r.f. remote. It's pretty much the same as the ATI Remote Wonder
r.f. remote that you can buy here from www.ascent.co.nz and others. I got it
from www.x10.com for free! Occasionally they give them away for the cost of
postage presumably as a loss-leader for the other crap they sell. The cool
thing with this remote is that no line of sight is required as it is a rado
device. I use girder (www.girder.nl) to accept the remote control control
commands, translate them into key presses, windows messages etc and send
them to GBPVR. girder is a very very clever application which not only sends
keypresses to targeted apps (which *do not* require the focus), but also can
do stuff like power down the system, change the volume, start and stop the
PVR application, send general windows messages etc.

If you have a Hauppauge PVR350 card that comes with an IR remote control you
can use that to control GBPVR as it is supported natively and won't even
need girder. I think this holds for XCard tuner card/remote control combos
too.

I'm using a USB-UIRT device (www.usbuirt.com) to transmit the channel change
commands to the Sky decoder. This amazing device can run up to 3 IR emitters
so it can control, for example, 2 sky decoders and a sound system. It is
supported by both GBPVR and girder. I mail-ordered it directly from the
manufacturer - it arrived within a week of ordering.

HTH
JohnO

Craig Sutton 09-27-2004 12:34 PM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

"Nathan Mercer" <nmercer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> JohnO wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
> >
> > However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
> > first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it

should
> > always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something

already.

> > BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at

GBPVR.
> > This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that

against
> > it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
> > encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range

of
> > h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
> > inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
> >
> > The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
> > working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
> > multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder,

automagic
> > downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients

using
> > inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV

partition
> > and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
> >
> > www.gbpvr.com

> Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
> I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed

I think he pulls it off the SKY e.p.g with satellite tuner card.

JohnO 09-27-2004 10:47 PM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

"Craig Sutton" <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Nathan Mercer" <nmercer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > JohnO wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
> > >
> > > However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in

the
> > > first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it

> should
> > > always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something

> already.
> > >
> > > BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at

> GBPVR.
> > > This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that

> against
> > > it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
> > > encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range

> of
> > > h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
> > > inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
> > >
> > > The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get

MythTV
> > > working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
> > > multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder,

> automagic
> > > downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients

> using
> > > inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV

> partition
> > > and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
> > >
> > > www.gbpvr.com

> > Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
> > I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed
> >

> I think he pulls it off the SKY e.p.g with satellite tuner card.

Who does?

Craig Shore 09-28-2004 06:24 AM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:10:18 +1200, "JohnO" <spam@me.com> wrote:

>The Lola X10 r.f. remote. It's pretty much the same as the ATI Remote Wonder
>r.f. remote that you can buy here from www.ascent.co.nz and others.

Thanks, ordered.

What capture card are you using, and most importantly, do you get excellent
quality stereo sound off the FTA NICAM broadcasts? Or are you doing it all via
line in from your sky box?

JohnO 09-28-2004 08:20 AM

Re: MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:10:18 +1200, "JohnO" <spam@me.com> wrote:
>
>>The Lola X10 r.f. remote. It's pretty much the same as the ATI Remote
>>Wonder
>>r.f. remote that you can buy here from www.ascent.co.nz and others.

> Thanks, ordered.
>
> What capture card are you using, and most importantly, do you get
> excellent
> quality stereo sound off the FTA NICAM broadcasts? Or are you doing it all
> via
> line in from your sky box?

I'm using twin Haupauge PVR250 MCE OEM's. composite video and audio Line in
from sky box on one tuner, and the FTA UHF/VHF in on the second tuner.
However the output of all this is going from the gForce tvout and onboard
audio out straight to a tv and it's shitty speakers so I couldn't comment on
the stereo quality. Also the FTA signal is a bit poor - I think all the
stormy weather over winter has blown the aerial out of whack. Supposedly the
PAL-B tuner on the card should be capturing the stereo signal properly
though.