Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hardware mpeg2 cards (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572208-hardware-mpeg2-cards.html)

richard 09-22-2004 07:14 AM

Hardware mpeg2 cards

Time has come to retire the bt878 card.

Im looking at the hauppague 250 as a viable purchase, but one thing bothers me.

Can it do uncompressed capture? If Im recording something to keep, I would not
want to have to decompress it to edit out the advertisements and then recompress
with 2 passes to get it best fitting.

Diskspace is a non-issue, I already do this with the BT878 card.

Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

Karen Parker 09-22-2004 07:51 AM

Re: Hardware mpeg2 cards

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:14:01 +1200, richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>Time has come to retire the bt878 card.
>
>Im looking at the hauppague 250 as a viable purchase, but one thing bothers me.

Save Money and get the Pixelview as its only about $180, yes it does have a
Mpeg II encoder.

PixelView PlayTV@P7000

http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/pr...ayTV@P7000.htm

JohnO 09-22-2004 08:07 AM

Re: Hardware mpeg2 cards

"richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Time has come to retire the bt878 card.
>
> Im looking at the hauppague 250 as a viable purchase, but one thing
> bothers me.
>
> Can it do uncompressed capture? If Im recording something to keep, I would
> not want to have to decompress it to edit out the advertisements and then
> recompress with 2 passes to get it best fitting.

No, the PVR250 cannot capture anything other than MPEG2.

However you can edit out advertisments in MPEG files. See something like
http://VirtualDubMod.sourceforge.net

> Diskspace is a non-issue, I already do this with the BT878 card.
>
> Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

Not that I've seen.

richard 09-22-2004 08:45 AM

Re: Hardware mpeg2 cards

JohnO wrote:

> No, the PVR250 cannot capture anything other than MPEG2.
>
> However you can edit out advertisments in MPEG files. See something like
> http://VirtualDubMod.sourceforge.net

Everytime I have tried to work on mpeg files without totally decompressing first
in virtual dub I have sync issues. Actually, I have had issues with virtualdub
even on non-compressed files.

I dont want to be double compressing things when I take it to VBR to put on disc
a second time.

>>Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

> Not that I've seen.

Seems stupid to me...

JohnO 09-22-2004 08:55 AM

Re: Hardware mpeg2 cards

> JohnO wrote:
>
>> No, the PVR250 cannot capture anything other than MPEG2.
>>
>> However you can edit out advertisments in MPEG files. See something like
>> http://VirtualDubMod.sourceforge.net

> Everytime I have tried to work on mpeg files without totally decompressing
> first in virtual dub I have sync issues. Actually, I have had issues with
> virtualdub even on non-compressed files.
>
> I dont want to be double compressing things when I take it to VBR to put
> on disc a second time.

I have'nt had that much experience with that. I have used this one though:
MPEG Video Wizard from www.womble.com. Not free, but there is a time limited
evaluation download.
.... and it seems to work well enough.

>>>Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

>> Not that I've seen.

> Seems stupid to me...

Yes, it is a bit odd. I guess the market is totally skewed towards recording
TV broadcasts and most settop boxes don't have component or RGB output?

theseus 09-22-2004 09:06 AM

Re: Hardware mpeg2 cards

"richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Time has come to retire the bt878 card.
>
> Im looking at the hauppague 250 as a viable purchase, but one thing
> bothers me.
>
> Can it do uncompressed capture? If Im recording something to keep, I would
> not want to have to decompress it to edit out the advertisements and then
> recompress with 2 passes to get it best fitting.
>
> Diskspace is a non-issue, I already do this with the BT878 card.
>
> Also anyone do a card with RGB or even component inputs?

The PVR 250 only does compressed video.
There are more recent chipsets than the BT 878 now that will still be on
cheap tuner cards. The Philips SAA7130 on the Flyvideo range is still really
cheap, or there is the Leadtek Winfast PVR2000 which is the conexant
CX23880/CX23416 which I believe will allow you to compress in hardware or
software.
For component capture cards you are into pro gear manufacturers such as
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/ who make the Decklink SP which you can buy
from DVT. or a Matrox Digisuite
Most pros bypass analogue entirely if possible but these cards are used to
capture from analogue betacam vcrs

richard 09-22-2004 10:57 AM

Re: Hardware mpeg2 cards

JohnO wrote:

>>>Not that I've seen.

>>Seems stupid to me...

> Yes, it is a bit odd. I guess the market is totally skewed towards recording
> TV broadcasts and most settop boxes don't have component or RGB output?

Ones in the states have component out on some of the sat boxes, and the shitty
boxes sky give us here in NZ will do rgb on the scart, so there is definatly
sources that do it.