Velocity Reviews

-   -   ADSL router setup pointers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572186-adsl-router-setup-pointers.html)

Mike Smith 09-20-2004 09:32 AM

ADSL router setup pointers

I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
Jetstream via a router with built in switch

Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
dialup connections

Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

With thanks

Mike S

EMB 09-20-2004 09:43 AM

Re: ADSL router setup pointers

Mike Smith wrote:
> I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
> Jetstream via a router with built in switch
>
> Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
> ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
> dialup connections
>
> Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

What sort of router (brand, model)?

As a start, use DHCP to assign IP addresses, change the default admin
password on the router, disable access to port 80 from the web.

--
EMB
change two to the number to reply

wogers nemesis 09-20-2004 12:26 PM

Re: ADSL router setup pointers

In article <414ea29b.2433671@news.paradise.net.nz>, m-
smith@paradise.net.nz says...

> I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
> Jetstream via a router with built in switch
>
> Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
> ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
> dialup connections
>
> Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated
>
> With thanks
>
> Mike S

Er buy some Network cables (+ cards) ?
Read the router manual long enough to find out what IP address it uses
for configuration and the default admin username/password...

Mike Smith 09-21-2004 10:02 AM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:43:09 +1200, EMB <embtwo@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>Mike Smith wrote:
>> I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
>> Jetstream via a router with built in switch
>>
>> Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
>> ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
>> dialup connections
>>
>> Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

>What sort of router (brand, model)?

Was looking at using the Xtra Jetstream starter pack sold by Harvey
Normans, which uses the D-Link DSL-504

>As a start, use DHCP to assign IP addresses, change the default admin
>password on the router, disable access to port 80 from the web.

Thanks

Mike Smith 09-21-2004 10:03 AM

Re: ADSL router setup pointers

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:26:54 +1200, wogers nemesis
<haha@spamhater.org> wrote:

>In article <414ea29b.2433671@news.paradise.net.nz>, m-
>smith@paradise.net.nz says...
>>

>> I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
>> Jetstream via a router with built in switch
>>
>> Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
>> ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
>> dialup connections
>>
>> Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated
>>
>> With thanks
>>
>> Mike S
>>

>Er buy some Network cables (+ cards) ?

Both machines have on board network ports already

Ron McNulty 09-21-2004 10:04 AM

Re: ADSL router setup pointers

Hi Mike

A common frustration is not being able to connect to the router to configure
it. This is a problem if your machines have fixed IPs and the netmasks stop
you seeing the router.

The two routers I have played with turned up on 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1.
If your machine is on a 192.168.x.x address, just set your netmask to
255.255.0.0 and all will be sweet.

And if you use the DHCP facility that a modern router usually provides, even
less hassle.

Regards

Ron

EMB 09-21-2004 10:30 AM

Mike Smith wrote:

> Was looking at using the Xtra Jetstream starter pack sold by Harvey
> Normans, which uses the D-Link DSL-504

Don't. Go to Dick Smith Electronics and buy the DSE branded ADSL router
from them (part no. XH1169). They are reliable, easy to set up and
reasonably good value for money, and also DSE offer good warranty
service if anything does go wrong.

..Waylon Smithers.. 09-21-2004 11:23 AM

Mike Smith wrote:
> I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
> Jetstream via a router with built in switch
>
> Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
> ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
> dialup connections
>
> Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

Mike, I've done my home system with 3 x XP into a DSE XH1149 router. Simply
used the wizard for connections into the router, plugged the adsl line into
the router and set logons via the web browser.

Works a treat, each pc running NAV and ZA Pro = no a single problem. Here,
XP have things sorted out quite well.

Good luck.

Tim 09-22-2004 05:33 AM

Re: ADSL router setup pointers