Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   SETI BOINC (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572078-seti-boinc.html)

~misfit~ 09-12-2004 11:27 AM

SETI BOINC
 
Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on the
board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.

I see from the recent credit I'm not going to stay at P2 for long, I'll be
lucky if I'm still in the top 5 in a week or two. It's all good.

Happy crunching, I'm off to watch the F1 now.
--
~misfit~



steve 09-12-2004 09:07 PM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
~misfit~ wrote:

> Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on the
> board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.
>
> I see from the recent credit I'm not going to stay at P2 for long, I'll be
> lucky if I'm still in the top 5 in a week or two. It's all good.
>
> Happy crunching, I'm off to watch the F1 now.
> --
> ~misfit~


I'll be joining you.

I don't have half the hardware of one or two currently climbing the list.

Though in the past, what I lacked in hardware, I surely made up for in
dogged, 24/7 commitment......and distributed computing sees turtles do very
well in the long run.

Hares often - (though not always!) - get bored quickly. :-)

Dogg 09-12-2004 09:27 PM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:27:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@hayoo.co.nz> wrote:

>Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on the
>board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.
>
>I see from the recent credit I'm not going to stay at P2 for long, I'll be
>lucky if I'm still in the top 5 in a week or two. It's all good.
>
>Happy crunching, I'm off to watch the F1 now.


As soon as it looked like the issues were solved, I got as many
machines on the job as possible. Some of the ones shown for me have
since been sold etc but there's still a few chugging away nicely :)

~misfit~ 09-12-2004 10:54 PM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
~misfit~ wrote:
> Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on
> the board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.


Also welcome to Michael Daly, another new appearance.

> I see from the recent credit I'm not going to stay at P2 for long,
> I'll be lucky if I'm still in the top 5 in a week or two. It's all
> good.


--
~misfit~



~misfit~ 09-13-2004 12:19 AM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
steve wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on
>> the board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.
>>
>> I see from the recent credit I'm not going to stay at P2 for long,
>> I'll be lucky if I'm still in the top 5 in a week or two. It's all
>> good.
>>
>> Happy crunching, I'm off to watch the F1 now.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

>
> I'll be joining you.
>
> I don't have half the hardware of one or two currently climbing the
> list.


Same. Some of the machines listed under my name are no longer crunching, I'm
basically running two on BOINC ATM and the girlfriend (shady angel) is
running one.

> Though in the past, what I lacked in hardware, I surely made up for in
> dogged, 24/7 commitment......and distributed computing sees turtles
> do very well in the long run.


I leave one of my BOINC machines on 24/7 (Celeron Tualatin running at
1.6Ghz), the other about 17/7 due to having to watch the power
consumption/cost at the moment.
--
~misfit~



~misfit~ 09-13-2004 12:20 AM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
Dogg wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:27:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <misfit61nz@hayoo.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on
>> the board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.
>>
>> I see from the recent credit I'm not going to stay at P2 for long,
>> I'll be lucky if I'm still in the top 5 in a week or two. It's all
>> good.
>>
>> Happy crunching, I'm off to watch the F1 now.

>
> As soon as it looked like the issues were solved, I got as many
> machines on the job as possible. Some of the ones shown for me have
> since been sold etc but there's still a few chugging away nicely :)


Whew! Then you may not *completely* dominate the list. ;-)
--
~misfit~



steve 09-13-2004 04:05 AM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
~misfit~ wrote:

> I leave one of my BOINC machines on 24/7 (Celeron Tualatin running at
> 1.6Ghz), the other about 17/7 due to having to watch the power
> consumption/cost at the moment.


You mnean your power bills aren't over $200 even in the middle of
summer? :-)



~misfit~ 09-13-2004 06:43 AM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
steve wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I leave one of my BOINC machines on 24/7 (Celeron Tualatin running at
>> 1.6Ghz), the other about 17/7 due to having to watch the power
>> consumption/cost at the moment.

>
> You mnean your power bills aren't over $200 even in the middle of
> summer? :-)


LOL, about $160/month summer and winter.
--
~misfit~



Dave - Dave.net.nz 09-13-2004 07:24 AM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
~misfit~ wrote:
>>You mnean your power bills aren't over $200 even in the middle of
>>summer? :-)


> LOL, about $160/month summer and winter.


man, you guys use lots.
in summer me and the mrs use ~$80 and in winter ~$120 and thats with the
Pc running 24/7 all year round.

Maybe we just arent home much.

~misfit~ 09-13-2004 09:43 AM

Re: SETI BOINC
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> You mnean your power bills aren't over $200 even in the middle of
>>> summer? :-)

>
>> LOL, about $160/month summer and winter.

>
> man, you guys use lots.
> in summer me and the mrs use ~$80 and in winter ~$120 and thats with
> the Pc running 24/7 all year round.
>
> Maybe we just arent home much.


We're in a rental property and have pin-power. You have to buy it in advance
and you pay more for the privelege. The price-per-unit is high to make up
for the fact that they aren't charging a line rental fee. It's an ideal
situation for anyone who uses *very* little power but anyone who uses
anything from below average upwards (they don't want to lose money do they?)
pays quite a bit more than someone who gets billed.

We've run an electric heater for perhaps six hours all-up this last winter.
--
~misfit~




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.