Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dell Laptops any good? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572008-dell-laptops-any-good.html)

Bob 09-07-2004 07:09 AM

Dell Laptops any good?

I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good value.
There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with 2
USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they any
good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
protected with the CGA?

thing 09-07-2004 07:47 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

Bob wrote:
> I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
> overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good value.
> There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with 2
> USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they any
> good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
> it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
> protected with the CGA?

I like them, I consider the build quality fine, there are other
alternatives like Asus and Acer. dell would make my shopping list just
about every time. While you loose a parallel port, surely these days
that is no biggee?

Just about everything is built in in most laptops these days.

regards

Thing

Bob 09-07-2004 08:07 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

"thing" <ms@thing.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> Bob wrote:
> > I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
> > overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good

value.
> > There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with

2
> > USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they

any
> > good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong?

Is
> > it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
> > protected with the CGA?

> I like them, I consider the build quality fine, there are other
> alternatives like Asus and Acer. dell would make my shopping list just
> about every time. While you loose a parallel port, surely these days
> that is no biggee?
>
> Just about everything is built in in most laptops these days.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Thanks for your feedback. I have looked at acer and asus. Asus look good,
and have a 2 year warranty, but their WXGA screen isn't appaerently as good
as dells, and I can get a better value machine from dell, including a nvidia
video card.
Acer look ok, but the new wide screen systems I have seem, I think are
poorly built, and look like they are made from cheap silver plastic. Build
quality is quite importent to me.

I do have an HP 5L printer, which is why I was hoping for a parallel port,
but it is no biggie, and I can get a USB expansion to get more USB ports.

Robert 09-07-2004 08:41 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

If a parallel port is so important get a USB adaptor like
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA075U
I setup one last week to a HP6L - worked a treat.
Warranty extension - cheaper & less hastle to get them at purchase time.

Chris 09-07-2004 08:53 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

Bob wrote:
> "thing" <ms@thing.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>
>>Bob wrote:
>>
>>>I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
>>>overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good

> value.
>
>>>There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with

> 2
>
>>>USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they

> any
>
>>>good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong?

> Is
>
>>>it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
>>>protected with the CGA?

>>I like them, I consider the build quality fine, there are other
>>alternatives like Asus and Acer. dell would make my shopping list just
>>about every time. While you loose a parallel port, surely these days
>>that is no biggee?
>>
>>Just about everything is built in in most laptops these days.
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing
>>

> Thanks for your feedback. I have looked at acer and asus. Asus look good,
> and have a 2 year warranty, but their WXGA screen isn't appaerently as good
> as dells, and I can get a better value machine from dell, including a nvidia
> video card.
> Acer look ok, but the new wide screen systems I have seem, I think are
> poorly built, and look like they are made from cheap silver plastic. Build
> quality is quite importent to me.
>
> I do have an HP 5L printer, which is why I was hoping for a parallel port,
> but it is no biggie, and I can get a USB expansion to get more USB ports.

I think thats an Inspiron model your referring too ? I am pretty happy
with my 600m model but I'd probably want to spend the extra and buy a
Latitude next time round as I think these are "robust" range, not thats
theres anything wrong with with the one I have.

Have you looked through the Dell message boards / groups ?

When I got my Dell I was looking at most models and decided that the
Dell was the best priced and the build quality was as good if not better
than the ones I looked at in various shops.

More than 2 USB ports would be good though - I got a 4 way hub. You can
get hubs with parallel ports as well IIRC

Nigel 09-07-2004 09:38 PM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:09:59 +1200, Bob wrote:

> I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
> overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good value.
> There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with 2
> USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they any
> good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
> it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
> protected with the CGA?

They're good laptops, I've got a 8500 & it's by far the best dell I've
had, the first one to rival IBM thinkpads I think. There are a couple of
guys @ work with 8600's and they've worked well too.
The WXGA screen is awesome, not sure if you need the top resolution, I've
got the 1680x1050.
It's not light mind you & I didn't get an internal wifi card which was a
mistake.
USB2 runs well, I haven't tried the firewire connection.
It runs Doom3 not too bad as well, which is a nice bonus :).
The only thing I would say is that Nvidia are working on PCI-Express video
cards for laptops, not sure when it's due out, but being able to easily
swap out those would be good.
Oh I got kingston RAM to jump it up to 768 instead of Dell, was cheaper.

Nigel

Bob 09-08-2004 12:47 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

"Nigel" <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.09.07.21.38.33.978164@_yahoo.co.nz.. .
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:09:59 +1200, Bob wrote:
>
> > I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
> > overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good

value.
> > There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with

2
> > USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they

any
> > good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong?

Is
> > it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
> > protected with the CGA?

> They're good laptops, I've got a 8500 & it's by far the best dell I've
> had, the first one to rival IBM thinkpads I think. There are a couple of
> guys @ work with 8600's and they've worked well too.
> The WXGA screen is awesome, not sure if you need the top resolution, I've
> got the 1680x1050.
> It's not light mind you & I didn't get an internal wifi card which was a
> mistake.
> USB2 runs well, I haven't tried the firewire connection.
> It runs Doom3 not too bad as well, which is a nice bonus :).
> The only thing I would say is that Nvidia are working on PCI-Express video
> cards for laptops, not sure when it's due out, but being able to easily
> swap out those would be good.
> Oh I got kingston RAM to jump it up to 768 instead of Dell, was cheaper.
>
> Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

I am looking at the normal WXGA screen which is 1280x900, as the WSXGA
screen which I think is the one you have got, I think would be too high a
resolution, as everything looks very small at that res.
My 18 inch desktop LCD is 1280x1024, which is a good resolution for its
size, and I don't think I would want the resolution any higher on that.

Nigel 09-08-2004 05:46 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:47:43 +1200, Bob wrote:

> Thanks Nigel,
>
> I am looking at the normal WXGA screen which is 1280x900, as the WSXGA
> screen which I think is the one you have got, I think would be too high a
> resolution, as everything looks very small at that res. My 18 inch desktop
> LCD is 1280x1024, which is a good resolution for its size, and I don't
> think I would want the resolution any higher on that.

It can look small for sure, I spend a fair bit of time up scaling web
pages in firefox, for apps like word etc it's a wash, with the
(slight)favour going to the higher res screen.
It really comes into it's own when you start editing photo's, which I do a
bit of, horses for courses.
Good luck, it's a nice laptop.

Nigel

simondo 09-08-2004 06:09 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

Bob wrote:

> I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
> overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good value.
> There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with 2
> USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they any
> good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
> it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
> protected with the CGA?

I'm writing on an Inspiron 8600 and I'm entirely happy with it. I *really*
like the big screen -- it's great to be able to put documents side-by-side
instead of flicking desktops or windows. The quality of the image and
viewing angle is pretty good too. The battery lasts at least a couple of
hours with no power saving measures. Build quality wise, it feels pretty
solid. Occasionally something makes a bit of a whirring noise but nothing
serious or annoying. If you get the 7200 rpm hard drive option be prepared
for some sweaty hands, as it's located under the wrists and generates a
fair amount of heat. The other other caveat I can think of is that the
screen isn't that flash hot for twitch games -- they tend to look a bit
jumpy even though the video card's pumping out frames and a fairly
impressive rate. But otherwise I'm pretty happy with the Dell.

I didn't bother with the extended support myself. Too cheap :-D

Cheers,
simondo

Ron McNulty 09-09-2004 08:45 AM

Re: Dell Laptops any good?

Sorry if this is a tad off-topic, but I recently purchased a Dell desktop
with 17" LDC monitor, and i am very pleased with it.

In contrast, work purchased similar machines with 17" CRT monitors, and they
are reallly bad.

Hard to make a call, but good luck with whatever you buy.

Regards

Ron