Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer power useage (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t571959-computer-power-useage.html)

Mr Bond 09-03-2004 12:22 AM

Computer power useage

Hi,

My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
load than it does in low CPU load?

If so, is it significantly more?

My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.

If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
look into it.

Harry 09-03-2004 01:15 AM

Re: Computer power useage

Mr Bond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
> load than it does in low CPU load?

No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
interrupt driven.

> If so, is it significantly more?
>
> My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
> computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
> contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
> instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
>
> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
> look into it.

What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
when their job is done.

Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
ftp download, or whatever.

Roger_Nickel 09-03-2004 01:16 AM

Re: Computer power useage

Mr Bond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
> load than it does in low CPU load?
>
> If so, is it significantly more?

Yes, power consumption is up by around 50% when heavy number crunching
is under way. This based on tests I did a few years ago on a 400 MHz
PII. Only a rough guide as an ordinary DVM was used and power factor and
waveform harmonics make it hard to get a good reading.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 09-03-2004 01:19 AM

Re: Computer power useage

Mr Bond wrote:
> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
> look into it.

yeah, it'll use a bit more power.
as to how much? it depends on the CPU, but I'd imagine that even if it
used 70watts for the CPU, it'd be using a minimum of 35 when sitting
idle.(assuming desktop CPUs)

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Karen Parker 09-03-2004 01:51 AM

Re: Computer power useage

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:22:16 +1200, Mr Bond <bond@mi6.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
>load than it does in low CPU load?

Yes it does as the CPU gets hotter..

>If so, is it significantly more?
>
>My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
>computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
>contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
>instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
>
>If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
>look into it.

Dnloading files sould not use much CPU power at all.

frederick 09-03-2004 02:16 AM

Re: Computer power useage

"Harry" <harry@here.net> wrote in message
> Mr Bond wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
>> load than it does in low CPU load?

> No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
> will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
> of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
> much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
> Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
> interrupt driven.

a strange conclusion

>> If so, is it significantly more?
>>
>> My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
>> computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
>> contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
>> instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
>>
>> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
>> look into it.

> What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
> whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
> crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
> whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
> when their job is done.
>
> Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
> a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
> ftp download, or whatever.

Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like you
might get a surprise.

cowboyz 09-03-2004 02:17 AM

Re: Computer power useage

Harry wrote:
> Mr Bond wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
>> load than it does in low CPU load?

> No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off
> states will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing
> with lots of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think
> Windows makes much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would
> save power. Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as
> opposed to interrupt driven.
>

>> If so, is it significantly more?
>>
>> My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
>> computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
>> contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
>> instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
>>
>> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
>> look into it.

> What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
> whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
> crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
> whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will
> exit when their job is done.
>
> Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is
> just a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an
> http or ftp download, or whatever.

Cant' speak for all but Get right and flashget download managers both have a
"shutdown when finished" switch

Harry 09-03-2004 02:26 AM

Re: Computer power useage

frederick wrote:

> "Harry" <harry@here.net> wrote in message
>> Mr Bond wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
>>> load than it does in low CPU load?

>> No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
>> will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
>> of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
>> much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
>> Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
>> interrupt driven.
>>

> a strange conclusion
>>

>>> If so, is it significantly more?
>>>
>>> My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
>>> computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
>>> contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
>>> instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
>>>
>>> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
>>> look into it.

>> What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
>> whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
>> crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
>> whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
>> when their job is done.
>>
>> Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
>> a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
>> ftp download, or whatever.

> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like
> you might get a surprise.

I just get "Bad command or filename".
Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

Nik Coughin 09-03-2004 02:30 AM

Re: Computer power useage

Harry wrote:
> frederick wrote:
>> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds
>> like you might get a surprise.

> I just get "Bad command or filename".
> Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

No, you should get what I get:

Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx]
[-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)
-i Display GUI interface, must be the first
option
-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
-s Shutdown the computer
-r Shutdown and restart the computer
-a Abort a system shutdown
-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
-f Forces running applications to close without
warning
-d [u][p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
u is the user code
p is a planned shutdown code
xx is the major reason code (positive
integer less than 256)
yy is the minor reason code (positive
integer less than 65536)

frederick 09-03-2004 02:37 AM

Re: Computer power useage

> frederick wrote:
>
>> "Harry" <harry@here.net> wrote in message

>>> No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
>>> will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
>>> of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
>>> much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
>>> Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
>>> interrupt driven.
>>>

>> a strange conclusion

>>> What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
>>> whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
>>> crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
>>> whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
>>> when their job is done.
>>>
>>> Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
>>> a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
>>> ftp download, or whatever.

>> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like
>> you might get a surprise.
>>>

> I just get "Bad command or filename".
> Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

:-)
No - you are just using an old OS - pre Win 2000.