Velocity Reviews

-   -   Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t571841-especially-for-woger-karen-amd-chips-faster-than-intel.html)

Seagull 08-24-2004 10:06 PM

Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel!

see
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5322290.html

--
Seagull ~'~

Dave - Dave.net.nz 08-24-2004 11:41 PM

Re: Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel!

Seagull wrote:
> see
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5322290.html

Holy ****.

"The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."

Which heater would you like to purchase?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

colinco 08-25-2004 02:40 AM

Re: Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel!

In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
> "The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
> under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
> under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
>
> Which heater would you like to purchase?

Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 08-25-2004 03:01 AM

colinco wrote:
>>"The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
>>under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
>>under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
>>Which heater would you like to purchase?

> Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.

me thinks I will be needing a new PSU when/if I upgrade.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

wogers nemesis 08-25-2004 06:44 AM

Re: Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel!

In article <2p2219Fg0q53U1@uni-berlin.de>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
says...
> Seagull wrote:
> > see
> > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5322290.html

> Holy ****.
>
> "The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
> under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
> under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
>
> Which heater would you like to purchase?

some of us in Dunedin appreciate a hot cpu ;)

Richard 08-25-2004 08:53 AM

Re: Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel!

time to replace your heater, summer is coming :)

news:MPG.1b96fc75b29163b5989702@news.orcon.net.nz. ..

Richard 08-25-2004 08:53 AM

Re: Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel!

here too
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...om3-cpu_3.html

Karen Parker 08-25-2004 08:55 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:44:21 +1200, wogers nemesis <dont@mail.me> wrote:

>In article <2p2219Fg0q53U1@uni-berlin.de>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
>says...
>> Seagull wrote:
>> > see
>> > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5322290.html

>> Holy ****.
>>
>> "The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
>> under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
>> under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
>>
>> Which heater would you like to purchase?
>>

>some of us in Dunedin appreciate a hot cpu ;)

Na, a Hot Poker more like..

Murray Symon 08-28-2004 06:13 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:01:38 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> colinco wrote:
>>>"The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
>>>under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
>>>under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
>>>Which heater would you like to purchase?

>> Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.

> me thinks I will be needing a new PSU when/if I upgrade.

Don't bother purchasing such products, as they are a design failure.
They have failed to stay within a reasonable power envelope.
All semiconductor manufacturers should be aiming to achieve the same
or improved performance while using LESS power. Check out the Pentium M,
that shows it is possible.
If such ridiculous power consumption keeps growing, the cost of feeding
power to your PC will start to exceed your ISP fees - as well as exposing
the computer's components to higher heat levels and risk of failure.

--
Just my 2 cents worth
Murray.

~misfit~ 08-28-2004 07:43 AM

Murray Symon wrote:

>>> Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.

>> me thinks I will be needing a new PSU when/if I upgrade.

> Don't bother purchasing such products, as they are a design failure.
> They have failed to stay within a reasonable power envelope.
> All semiconductor manufacturers should be aiming to achieve the same
> or improved performance while using LESS power. Check out the Pentium
> M, that shows it is possible.
> If such ridiculous power consumption keeps growing, the cost of
> feeding power to your PC will start to exceed your ISP fees - as well
> as exposing the computer's components to higher heat levels and risk
> of failure.

I like the Pentium M CPU, especially the 'Dothan' (2MB L2). If/when Intel
make them available for desktop PCs I might actually consider buying Intel
again.
--
~misfit~