Velocity Reviews

-   -   linux & asus a7v8x-mx (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t571358-linux-and-asus-a7v8x-mx.html)

Unknown 07-14-2004 09:37 AM

linux & asus a7v8x-mx

Hi
I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
with AMD xp2500 cpu.

Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?

I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.

cheers
Ron

Peter 07-15-2004 05:16 AM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

Unknown wrote:
> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
> with AMD xp2500 cpu.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
>
> I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
> construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.

I have Mandrake 10.0 running on Asus A7v333-X with AMD 2400XP. This
hardware is over a year old, but runs Linux fine.

HTH

Peter

thing 07-15-2004 06:17 AM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

Unknown wrote:
> Hi
> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
> with AMD xp2500 cpu.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
>
> I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
> construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
>
> cheers
> Ron

Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

regards

Thing

theseus 07-15-2004 06:29 AM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

"Unknown" <ronwill@conz.ih.ug> wrote in message
> Hi
> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
> with AMD xp2500 cpu.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
>
> I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
> construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
>
> cheers
> Ron

The video is a via/s3G unichrome chipset which is only supported
un-accelerated as VESA by xfree86 in the distros I have used lately.
However I have it running on Debian testing with the driver from
http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/
I havent figured out how to get it into Xandros 2.0 yet.
Probably best to get an nvidia card for it, that detects and runs the 3d
drivers right away.

Patrick Dunford 07-15-2004 06:53 AM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

In article <2ipJc.8343$NA1.780579@news02.tsnz.net>, ms@thing.dyndns.org
says...
> Unknown wrote:
> > Hi
> > I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
> > with AMD xp2500 cpu.
> >
> > Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
> >
> > I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
> > construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
> >
> > cheers
> > Ron

> Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

Are they "anti linux" because they require NDAs to be signed for software
licensing, as some companies do? Nothing to do with Linux, only only
those Open Source Software ideologues.

Malcolm 07-15-2004 07:27 AM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

thing wrote:
> Unknown wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
>> with AMD xp2500 cpu.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
>>
>> I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
>> construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
>>
>> cheers
>> Ron

> Asus it seems is very anti-linux....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Hi
ASUS provided LAN, RAID and Sound linux drivers for the P4C800-E Deluxe
Motherboard I brought a short time ago.

Cheers
Malcolm

Dave - Dave.net.nz 07-15-2004 08:39 PM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

thing wrote:
>> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
>> with AMD xp2500 cpu.

> Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

how so?

Andrew Bryson 07-15-2004 11:28 PM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:17:13 +1200, thing wrote:

> Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

Ah. That would be why their latest wireless access points are
linux based and have the firmware source code available for
download from their site...

Dave - Dave.net.nz 07-15-2004 11:40 PM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

Andrew Bryson wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:17:13 +1200, thing wrote:
>

>>Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

> Ah. That would be why their latest wireless access points are
> linux based and have the firmware source code available for
> download from their site...

yeah... typical, those bastards.

:)

Patrick Dunford 07-16-2004 02:06 AM

Re: linux & asus a7v8x-mx

In article <2lo8boFepud6U2@uni-berlin.de>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
says...
> thing wrote:
> >> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
> >> with AMD xp2500 cpu.

> > Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

> how so?

Some manufacturers are "anti linux" because they won't release code
except under NDA.

THat is actually a stance adopted by the open source software zealots who
refuse to develop stuff unless they can release the source code,
including the stuff released to them under an NDA.