Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dell to Sell Linux desktops in Europe (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t571268-dell-to-sell-linux-desktops-in-europe.html)

steve 07-07-2004 08:00 AM

Dell to Sell Linux desktops in Europe

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe

By Online Staff
July 7, 2004

Dell Computers will sell its first line of Linux-based desktop computers
in Europe through its partnership with Questar, according to a media
release.

The workstations, installed with the English or Italian-language version
of Linspire 4.5 operating system, will be shipped by Dell and include
its technical support.

Starting at about $US575 ($805), the systems will be targeted at
businesses, schools and consumers.

"By joining forces, we're both able to forge new commercial frontiers in
Europe and offer top-value Linux solutions and support to our
customers," said David Orban, chief executive officer of Questar.

All Dell computers sold by Questar will be equipped with the latest
version of Linspire and include the OpenOffice suite complete with word
processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software and file
compatibility with Microsoft Office.

Michael Robertson, chief executive officer of Lindows, Inc. said in a
statement, "Computer users now have a quality Linux solution - a range
of affordable computers with full hardware support and a selection of
add-on software for all their application needs."

The Dell Optiplex comes with 256MB DDR RAM, a 40GB HD and can be ordered
with or without a 15-inch flat panel LCD monitor.

Divine 07-07-2004 10:13 AM

Re: Dell to Sell Linux desktops in Europe

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:04 +1200, steve wrote:

> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true
>
> Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe

Nice!

Divine

--
The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
but this old Queen wants a drink."

Bruce Sinclair 07-07-2004 08:30 PM

Re: Dell to Sell Linux desktops in Europe

In article <pan.2004.07.07.10.13.09.377494@TRACKER>, Divine <nospam@nospam.invalid.com> was seen to type:
>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:04 +1200, steve wrote:
>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true
>>
>> Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe

>Nice!

Now they just need to have the option of AMD processors :)

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

(if there were any)

Orange 07-07-2004 08:59 PM

"steve" <steve@n3wsreader.org.nz> wrote in message
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true
>
> Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe
>
> By Online Staff
> July 7, 2004
>
> Dell Computers will sell its first line of Linux-based desktop computers
> in Europe through its partnership with Questar, according to a media
> release.
>
> The workstations, installed with the English or Italian-language version
> of Linspire 4.5 operating system, will be shipped by Dell and include its
> technical support.
>
> Starting at about $US575 ($805), the systems will be targeted at
> businesses, schools and consumers.
>
> "By joining forces, we're both able to forge new commercial frontiers in
> Europe and offer top-value Linux solutions and support to our customers,"
> said David Orban, chief executive officer of Questar.
>
> All Dell computers sold by Questar will be equipped with the latest
> version of Linspire and include the OpenOffice suite complete with word
> processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software and file compatibility
> with Microsoft Office.
>
> Michael Robertson, chief executive officer of Lindows, Inc. said in a
> statement, "Computer users now have a quality Linux solution - a range of
> affordable computers with full hardware support and a selection of add-on
> software for all their application needs."
>
> The Dell Optiplex comes with 256MB DDR RAM, a 40GB HD and can be ordered
> with or without a 15-inch flat panel LCD monitor.

This story isn't 100% correct. Questar are buying Dell PC's, blowing away
Windows and installing Linux. It's not a Dell initiative so Dell won't
provide OS support but will continue to honour the hardware warranty. Dell
issued a press release on this yesterday I think.

AD. 07-07-2004 10:40 PM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:30:54 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <pan.2004.07.07.10.13.09.377494@TRACKER>, Divine
> <nospam@nospam.invalid.com> was seen to type:
>>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:04 +1200, steve wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true
>>>
>>> Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe

>>Nice!

> Now they just need to have the option of AMD processors :)

Yeah! And on their servers too!

I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It would
be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and Linux
compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do here.

Cheers
Anton

theseus 07-08-2004 12:50 AM

"Orange" <orange@somefakedupdomainname.com> wrote in message
> "steve" <steve@n3wsreader.org.nz> wrote in message

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

> > Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe
> >
> > By Online Staff
> > July 7, 2004
> >
> > Dell Computers will sell its first line of Linux-based desktop computers
> > in Europe through its partnership with Questar, according to a media
> > release.
> >
> > The workstations, installed with the English or Italian-language version
> > of Linspire 4.5 operating system, will be shipped by Dell and include

its
> > technical support.
> >
> > Starting at about $US575 ($805), the systems will be targeted at
> > businesses, schools and consumers.
> >
> > "By joining forces, we're both able to forge new commercial frontiers in
> > Europe and offer top-value Linux solutions and support to our

customers,"
> > said David Orban, chief executive officer of Questar.
> >
> > All Dell computers sold by Questar will be equipped with the latest
> > version of Linspire and include the OpenOffice suite complete with word
> > processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software and file

compatibility
> > with Microsoft Office.
> >
> > Michael Robertson, chief executive officer of Lindows, Inc. said in a
> > statement, "Computer users now have a quality Linux solution - a range

of
> > affordable computers with full hardware support and a selection of

add-on
> > software for all their application needs."
> >
> > The Dell Optiplex comes with 256MB DDR RAM, a 40GB HD and can be ordered
> > with or without a 15-inch flat panel LCD monitor.

> This story isn't 100% correct. Questar are buying Dell PC's, blowing away
> Windows and installing Linux. It's not a Dell initiative so Dell won't
> provide OS support but will continue to honour the hardware warranty. Dell
> issued a press release on this yesterday I think.

Dell aren't supplying any Microsoft software with this hardware, where did
you read that ?

steve 07-08-2004 10:25 AM

AD. wrote:

> I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It would
> be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and Linux
> compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do here.
>
> Cheers
> Anton

Differences between distros make that hard.

If they sell a pre-load, then they can support the preload.

They can't support "Linux from Scratch" that you rolled yourself from source
from the ground up. :-)

AD. 07-08-2004 08:12 PM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:25:22 +0000, steve wrote:

> AD. wrote:
>
>> I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It
>> would be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and
>> Linux compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do
>> here.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Anton

> Differences between distros make that hard.
>
> If they sell a pre-load, then they can support the preload.
>
> They can't support "Linux from Scratch" that you rolled yourself from
> source from the ground up. :-)

I wasn't asking for support - just that the hardware they put in there has
been tested to actually work under Linux (natively). Getting it working in
distro x would still be up to the customer.

Cheers
Anton

theseus 07-08-2004 09:22 PM

"AD." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:30:54 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
> > In article <pan.2004.07.07.10.13.09.377494@TRACKER>, Divine
> > <nospam@nospam.invalid.com> was seen to type:
> >>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:04 +1200, steve wrote:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

> >>Nice!

> > Now they just need to have the option of AMD processors :)

> Yeah! And on their servers too!
>
> I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It would
> be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and Linux
> compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do here.
>
> Cheers
> Anton

In the related news articles, its pointed out that Dell sell a line of PCs
without an operating system loaded, but because they are contractually
obliged to supply an operating system with each PC they include a copy of
freedos.
The choice of Linspire is ideal, Lindows get to make sure that their distro
supports the Dell hardware and provide support.
If you install a Linspire preloaded HD into a Dell box (or any other), the
hardware detection all works and its ready to go on boot.
Those Linspire HDs probably have an internal Dell part number.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 07-08-2004 10:07 PM

steve wrote:
> If they sell a pre-load, then they can support the preload.
> They can't support "Linux from Scratch" that you rolled yourself from source
> from the ground up. :-)

Chances are, if you rolled yourself from source, you will not need help
from DSE, and you will know the right places to go.

This is not a certainty, but those that I know that roll their own
certainly wouldn't be asking a DSE salesperson for help.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz