Velocity Reviews

-   -   Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t571171-slightly-ot-but-nerdy-enough-for-nz-comp-geeks.html)

Waylon Smithers 06-29-2004 09:21 PM

Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/

You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini
spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/ has all the details on the mission.

~!@#$%^&*()_+

Millhouse : "We started out like Romeo and Juliet, but it ended in tragedy."

Dave - Dave.net.nz 06-29-2004 10:15 PM

Re: Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

Waylon Smithers wrote:
> http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
> You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini
> spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
form physics...

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Seagull 06-29-2004 10:49 PM

Re: Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
message news:2ke7vcF1app4U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Waylon Smithers wrote:
> > http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
> > You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the

Cassini
> > spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

> ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
> form physics...
>
> --
> Dave Hall
> http://www.dave.net.nz

By coincidence I have just read this:

A blonde was playing Trivial Pursuit one night.
It was her turn, she rolled the dice and she
landed on "Science & Nature". Her question was,
"If you are in a vacuum and someone calls your
name, can you hear it?"

She thought for a time and then asked, "Is
it on or off?"

Waylon Smithers 06-29-2004 11:41 PM

Re: Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

> ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
> form physics...

Ahh, things have progressed since you were in school then. It's called radio
waves, received by the spacecraft and sent back to earth, then the data is
processed into sound waves to listen to. Well that's what the man says - who
has a James A Van Allen Professor of Physics (= so brainy he can't wear a
hat or he'll overheat).

Just like the images they take, it ain't a Kodak they've strapped onto the
front of Cassini !

~!@#$%^&*()_+

Millhouse : "We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended in tragedy."

AD. 06-29-2004 11:43 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:15:08 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Waylon Smithers wrote:
>> http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/ You can listen to the
>> latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini spacecraft,
>> currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

> ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th form
> physics...

Maybe Cassini is picking up a local radio station? ;)

Anyway (going further off topic) I was just reading in the latest National
Geographic article about the sun, how scientists are measuring the seismic
sounds the sun makes to map out it's inner layers. Apparently it makes
regular noises every 5 mins or so.

Of course you can't 'hear' them from earth though, they have to be
measured indirectly. The suns atmosphere does extend out past earth though.

It's a fascinating article with great pictures.

Cheers
Anton

Dave - Dave.net.nz 06-30-2004 12:38 AM

Waylon Smithers wrote:
>>ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
>>form physics...

> Ahh, things have progressed since you were in school then. It's called radio
> waves, received by the spacecraft and sent back to earth, then the data is
> processed into sound waves to listen to.

gotcha... brain not in gear today.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Steve Robertson 06-30-2004 07:20 AM

Re: Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

>Ahh, things have progressed since you were in school then. It's called radio
>waves, received by the spacecraft and sent back to earth, then the data is
>processed into sound waves to listen to. Well that's what the man says - who

If you play the sound through a tactile transducer then you will be able to
feel the sound of Saturn

Peter Huebner 06-30-2004 10:27 AM

Re: Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

In article <2ke7vcF1app4U1@uni-berlin.de>,
dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
> Waylon Smithers wrote:
> > http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
> > You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini
> > spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

> ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
> form physics...

Oh man, have you never watched Starwars? All those neat x-wing fighters
going neeeaaaaaaah chugga chugga chugga vooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm?
(not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
uplift ?)

'Merican science works different[ly] from 6th form physics books <g>

-P.

Dave Taylor 06-30-2004 12:23 PM

Re: Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> wrote in
news:MPG.1b4d5cb372c2be9d98979f@news.nzl.ihugultra .co.nz:

> In article <2ke7vcF1app4U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
>> Waylon Smithers wrote:
>> > http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
>> > You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the
>> > Cassini spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

>> ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
>> form physics...
>>

> Oh man, have you never watched Starwars? All those neat x-wing
> fighters going neeeaaaaaaah chugga chugga chugga
> vooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm? (not to mention banking into their turns,
> using all that hard vacuum for uplift ?)
>
> 'Merican science works different[ly] from 6th form physics books <g>
>
> -P.

Even Babylon 5 spacecraft made sounds. If anything was going to get it
right....
Ciao, Dave

Dave - Dave.net.nz 06-30-2004 08:41 PM

Peter Huebner wrote:
>>>http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
>>>You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini
>>>spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

>>ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
>>form physics...

> Oh man, have you never watched Starwars? All those neat x-wing fighters
> going neeeaaaaaaah chugga chugga chugga vooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm?
> (not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
> uplift ?)
> 'Merican science works different[ly] from 6th form physics books <g>

ok then, guess I should have taken media studies instead.

This has sparked a long and intricate discussion in my work place about
whether or not the wings were needed.

We have found from memory, that the X-wing also took off like a harrier
jump jet, but may have needed the wings for additional lift to get out
into space.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz