Velocity Reviews

-   -   Open source alternative to Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t571085-open-source-alternative-to-microsoft-publisher-or-adobe-pagemaker.html)

Daniel 06-23-2004 10:47 PM

Open source alternative to Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker?

Does anyone know of one?

At the moment I'm only looking for something that runs on Windows.

TIA.

Divine 06-24-2004 07:39 AM

Re: Open source alternative to Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:47:59 +1200, Daniel wrote:

> Does anyone know of one?
>
> At the moment I'm only looking for something that runs on Windows.

There is one...

It's called "Scribus."

I would not, however, recomend it. It's still in the very early stages of
development.

I DO recomend Pagemaker. You can do EVERYTHING in it from simple handbills
thru to full scale wacking great big tomes.

Divine

--
Bruce Schneier: "Honestly, security experts don't pick on Microsoft because
we have some fundamental dislike for the company. Indeed, Microsoft's poor

steve 06-24-2004 09:44 AM

Daniel wrote:

> Does anyone know of one?
>
> At the moment I'm only looking for something that runs on Windows.
>
> TIA.

Try Scribus. It is version 1.17 right now....and you can do good work with
it.

It is developing rapidly and the mailing list is quite active with loads of
helpful people. Make sure you subscribe if you have any questions.

Daniel 06-24-2004 09:50 AM

Re: Open source alternative to Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker?

Thanks Divine. Hopefully, someone might do a native Windows port in the future
- not really keen on suggesting a cygwin install. The request isn't for me, it's
for a non-technical windows user.

For the moment it appears to be a choice of either Microsoft, Adobe, or Corel.
I'd definitely lean towards Adobe, since you don't need a license just to view
(let alone print) a file exported in PDF format.

Cheers.

Daniel 06-24-2004 09:04 PM

Re: Open source alternative to Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker?

Not exactly what I heard. We use LaTeX where I work. In fact, the guy who sits right next to me
wrote his entire chemistry thesis in LaTeX. He loves LaTeX, hates MSP, but he told me he
certainly wouldn't use LaTeX for DTP.

From what I've seen it's certainly a good alternative for doing specific types of documents,
especially from the perspective of revision control - try diffing a Word document. One of the
things I really like about LaTeX is that it's just plain text, so you know what to expect. No
nasty "out-of-the-blue" formatting surprises as with MSP.

However, LaTeX as decent a DTP alternative? Hmmmm.

Have you got any example sites which have done DTP with LaTeX?

J.Random Luser 06-25-2004 02:05 AM

Re: Open source alternative to Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker?

Daniel <atari400@paradise.net.nz> mused:

> However, LaTeX as decent a DTP alternative? Hmmmm.
>
> Have you got any example sites which have done DTP with LaTeX?

http://www.iam.ubc.ca/~newbury/tex/title.html

Almost every document coming out of the UBC Math Department
or the IAM has been LaTeX'd. It is very nearly essential that
Grad students know how to use this document processing package.

then there's OzteX, the Macintosh gui version of TeX,
& somebody has cobbled up a windoze equivalent: MiKTeX

http://www.miktex.org/

Daniel 06-25-2004 04:16 AM

J.Random Luser wrote:
> Daniel <atari400@paradise.net.nz> mused:
>
>>However, LaTeX as decent a DTP alternative? Hmmmm.
>>
>>Have you got any example sites which have done DTP with LaTeX?
>>

> http://www.iam.ubc.ca/~newbury/tex/title.html
>
> Almost every document coming out of the UBC Math Department
> or the IAM has been LaTeX'd. It is very nearly essential that
> Grad students know how to use this document processing package.

Good for them.

> then there's OzteX, the Macintosh gui version of TeX,
> & somebody has cobbled up a windoze equivalent: MiKTeX
>
> http://www.miktex.org/

Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?

Daniel 06-25-2004 04:25 AM

Daniel wrote:

>> then there's OzteX, the Macintosh gui version of TeX, & somebody has
>> cobbled up a windoze equivalent: MiKTeX
>>
>> http://www.miktex.org/

> Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?

Apologies. TeX is not LaTeX - my mistake.

Daniel 06-25-2004 04:29 AM

theseus wrote:
> "Daniel" <atari400@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>
>>Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?
>>

> So you can use a mouse and a bitmap display ?

So, I assume you use one of those guis for LaTeX then?

theseus 06-25-2004 04:34 AM