Velocity Reviews

-   -   My computer was scanned (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570980-my-computer-was-scanned.html)

Nick 06-15-2004 05:14 AM

My computer was scanned

According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the number
reported. 210.212.102.33.

I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
university in Melbourne scanning me ?

Rider 06-15-2004 05:35 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

> > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the

> number
> > reported. 210.212.102.33.
> >
> > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> > university in Melbourne scanning me ?
> >

> Who cares?

He does.

K T T 06-15-2004 05:35 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

EMB 06-15-2004 05:42 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

In news:40ce84a7@news.iconz.co.nz,
Nick <nth@orcon.net.nz> expelled:
> According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> number reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
> I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> university in Melbourne scanning me ?

They're not, that IP is allocated in India and has no reverse DNS available.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Nick 06-15-2004 05:50 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

"K T T" <nobody@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Nick" <nth@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

> > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the

> number
> > reported. 210.212.102.33.
> >
> > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> > university in Melbourne scanning me ?
> >

> Who cares?

I do. Else I wouldnt aput it in here. Woould I

Nick 06-15-2004 05:51 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

"EMB" <embtwo@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> In news:40ce84a7@news.iconz.co.nz,
> Nick <nth@orcon.net.nz> expelled:
> > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> > number reported. 210.212.102.33.
> >
> > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

> They're not, that IP is allocated in India and has no reverse DNS

available.

> --
> EMB
> change two to number to reply

Means sod all to me

AD. 06-15-2004 06:32 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:50:50 +1200, Nick wrote:

> I do. Else I wouldnt aput it in here. Woould I

My advice: Don't worry about it.

Whole blocks of IPs addresses are scanned continually - it's just the nets
background noise. It won't have any effect in itself, and if you are
properly patched and firewalled they can't hurt you.

Cheers
Anton

Enkidu 06-15-2004 09:14 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:14:47 +1200, "Nick" <nth@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

>According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the number
>reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
>I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
>university in Melbourne scanning me ?

No, *they* had 34 requests *from* that address.

Don't worry about it. It's just net noise.

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Taylor 06-15-2004 11:28 AM

Re: My computer was scanned

"Nick" <nth@orcon.net.nz> wrote in news:40ce84a7@news.iconz.co.nz:

> According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> number reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
> I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> university in Melbourne scanning me ?

Go here and do some reading, then come back with more questions.
http://www.grc.com
Click on the shields up link and scan your machine using the all services
probe.
Ciao, Dave

samg 06-15-2004 11:12 PM

Re: My computer was scanned

"Nick" <nth@orcon.net.nz> wrote in news:40ce84a7@news.iconz.co.nz:

> According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> number reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
> I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> university in Melbourne scanning me ?

its actually a cover for the feds investigating all your illegal P2P
activity