Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Linux printing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570946-linux-printing.html)

PorkChop 06-12-2004 07:03 AM

Linux printing
 
interesting read ...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html


Paul

steve 06-12-2004 07:30 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
PorkChop wrote:
> interesting read ...
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>
> Paul


He must have been using the wrong distro.

On Xandros, I just tell it what sort of printer it is and whether or not
it's local or network....and away I go.

I've not had any trouble printing on Linux - even on a network - for
several years.

a 06-12-2004 07:42 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
In article <3Vxyc.1265$s52.48994@news.xtra.co.nz>, hahahah@sod.off.com
says...
> interesting read ...
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>
>
> Paul


You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
all - or restort to appletalk.


thing 06-12-2004 07:53 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
a wrote:
> In article <3Vxyc.1265$s52.48994@news.xtra.co.nz>, hahahah@sod.off.com
> says...
>
>>interesting read ...
>>
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>>
>>
>>Paul

>
>
> You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
> what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
> all - or restort to appletalk.
>


lol, assuming you can get your Mac to auto-negotiate the correct speed
and get on your LAN otherwise your stuffed....mine wont it runs off a
1/2 dup hub because it wont switch to dup 100....

regards

Thing



Patrick Dunford 06-12-2004 09:01 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
In article <3Vxyc.1265$s52.48994@news.xtra.co.nz>, hahahah@sod.off.com
says...
> interesting read ...
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html


Comparing Linux and Windows, the different markets that these products
are targeted at is very obvious.

Unix originated from a group of hackers who also developed the C
programming language. Unix has inherited the same terseness and other
less desirable traits of the C language it was programmed in.

The problem with open source software is that the people who develop it
are, by and large, technowizzes who are so wrapped up in the code they
are writing that real-world issues like the user interface and
documentation take second place. They are dedicated hard core hackers for
the most part who assume that everyone who uses their software will have
as much knowledge as they do about the systems that it runs on.

Microsoft (and for that matter Apple) has done a lot better job in
bridging the gap between the technical issues of software design and the
user interface for non-technical computer users, than Linux has achieved
so far. If Linux is ever going to have a chance of competing successfully
with these established companies the developers of Linux and applications
that run on it are, somehow, going to have to leave that geekiness well
behind.

Patrick Dunford 06-12-2004 09:01 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
In article <40cab400$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
says...
> PorkChop wrote:
> > interesting read ...
> >
> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> >
> > Paul

>
> He must have been using the wrong distro.


But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many distros,
half of them produced by hackers!


whoisthis 06-12-2004 09:53 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
In article <HCyyc.2037$NA1.208643@news02.tsnz.net>,
thing <ms@thing.dyndns.org> wrote:

>
>
> lol, assuming you can get your Mac to auto-negotiate the correct speed
> and get on your LAN otherwise your stuffed....mine wont it runs off a
> 1/2 dup hub because it wont switch to dup 100....
>
> regards
>
> Thing
>
>


what model Mac, some do have issues, however I have also seen a few
switches/hubs that have created the problems by being crap themselves.

Allistar 06-12-2004 10:12 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <40cab400$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
> says...
>> PorkChop wrote:
>> > interesting read ...
>> >
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>> >
>> > Paul

>>
>> He must have been using the wrong distro.

>
> But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many distros,
> half of them produced by hackers!


To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.

Allistar.

Divine 06-12-2004 10:43 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:12:59 +1200, Allistar wrote:

>> But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many distros,
>> half of them produced by hackers!

>
> To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.


Dunford doesn't understand that. To him there can only be One Way.


Divine

--
The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
but this old Queen wants a drink."


PorkChop 06-12-2004 11:24 AM

Re: Linux printing
 
a wrote:

snip
>
> You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
> what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
> all - or restort to appletalk.


What is Appletalk ?


Paul


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.