Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD drive reviews - can you trust them? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570854-dvd-drive-reviews-can-you-trust-them.html)

GraB 06-03-2004 11:37 AM

DVD drive reviews - can you trust them?

Hoping to buy a DVD burner in the near future I have been reading up
about them. One drive I am considering is the Lite-On 812S which gets
top marks in the latest NZ PC World mag review of 8x burners, but in
June's APC mag it gets 7th place. I would guess that individual
samples vary?

In that APC mag review the Optorite DD0405 came out best. It has an
interesting feature in that it can burn double the amount of data to
an ordinary CD-R. That might get some people around the problem with
those Melody 90 and 99min CD-Rs going off. The Optorite comes with
better software, Nero. But in this review, with two other drives, it
often comes out slowest generally (but fastest for ripping) by a
miniscule margin:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...D0405&Series=0

But it did OK on the dirty scratched DVD read test. Better than I
have read for a Lite-On drive, 451S from memory. That would be a plus
with hire DVDs.

I haven't found any mention of whether the Optorite can burn mini-CDs,
which the Lite-On can.

Dave Taylor 06-03-2004 12:07 PM

Re: DVD drive reviews - can you trust them?

GraB <grab@nothing.co.nz> wrote in news:i70ub0povfgr3vn5arjb3dtvjfsn6927ck@
4ax.com:

> The Optorite comes with
> better software, Nero.

Go with the value, not the numbers. If you already own Nero 6, go with the
numbers. IIRC all burners should be able to burn mini.
DVD playback? Look into region lock issues.
Ciao, Dave