Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Reinstalling XP from scratch (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570661-reinstalling-xp-from-scratch.html)

Patrick Dunford 05-18-2004 02:47 AM

Reinstalling XP from scratch
 
On Windows 98 we would make a boot disk, format C: and reinstall from the
CD ROM.

Nowadays of course we have bootable CD roms - no need for boot disks.

How do I wipe off the hard disk and force XP to do a totally clean
install? can it be done with the XP installation CD?

Rider 05-18-2004 02:49 AM

Re: Reinstalling XP from scratch
 

"Patrick Dunford" <patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b1440519044f649989760@news.paradise.net. nz...
> On Windows 98 we would make a boot disk, format C: and reinstall from the
> CD ROM.
>
> Nowadays of course we have bootable CD roms - no need for boot disks.
>
> How do I wipe off the hard disk and force XP to do a totally clean
> install? can it be done with the XP installation CD?


Yes ... once you've booted from the XP cd, it will find your original XP
install and ask if you want to do a repair or install a fresh copy of XP.
Choose the latter (by pressing esc I think). Then you can tell XP setup to
do a full format of quick format and then carry on with the install.

Hope everything is backed up.

Rider




Patrick Dunford 05-18-2004 03:15 AM

Re: Reinstalling XP from scratch
 
In article <c8btji$pct$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, the_rider_@GOAWAYhotmail.com
says...
>
> "Patrick Dunford" <patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1b1440519044f649989760@news.paradise.net. nz...
> > On Windows 98 we would make a boot disk, format C: and reinstall from the
> > CD ROM.
> >
> > Nowadays of course we have bootable CD roms - no need for boot disks.
> >
> > How do I wipe off the hard disk and force XP to do a totally clean
> > install? can it be done with the XP installation CD?

>
> Yes ... once you've booted from the XP cd, it will find your original XP
> install and ask if you want to do a repair or install a fresh copy of XP.
> Choose the latter (by pressing esc I think). Then you can tell XP setup to
> do a full format of quick format and then carry on with the install.
>
> Hope everything is backed up.


It's on a network, so there should be nothing on the machine that needs
backing up, anyway.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 05-18-2004 03:54 AM

Re: Reinstalling XP from scratch
 
Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>Hope everything is backed up.


> It's on a network, so there should be nothing on the machine that needs
> backing up, anyway.


sounds like a Tui ad to me...

zog 05-18-2004 11:09 AM

Re: Reinstalling XP from scratch
 
I do regular backups of my Hard Disk. Yeah, right. Nice one Dave.

Patrick, the advice so far is correct you dont have to to format first. You
can if you want to but I don't. The setup program gives you that option.
Just one suggestion though: It is a good idea if there are at least two
partitions on your hard disk. The OS and programs can be on one. All your
data, music, smut (oops I meant holiday snaps) etc can be on the second
partition. So when you reinstall (I do it about once a year) you need only
reformat your C: partition.


"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <news@dave.net.nz> wrote in message
news:2gtfo9F6fkalU2@uni-berlin.de...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> >>Hope everything is backed up.

>
> > It's on a network, so there should be nothing on the machine that needs
> > backing up, anyway.

>
> sounds like a Tui ad to me...




Patrick Dunford 05-18-2004 11:20 AM

Re: Reinstalling XP from scratch
 
In article <oamqc.6790$XI4.243108@news.xtra.co.nz>, noway@at.all says...
> I do regular backups of my Hard Disk. Yeah, right. Nice one Dave.
>
> Patrick, the advice so far is correct you dont have to to format first. You
> can if you want to but I don't. The setup program gives you that option.
> Just one suggestion though: It is a good idea if there are at least two
> partitions on your hard disk. The OS and programs can be on one. All your
> data, music, smut (oops I meant holiday snaps) etc can be on the second
> partition. So when you reinstall (I do it about once a year) you need only
> reformat your C: partition.


The problem with multiple partitions is simple: eventually the system
partition becomes too full and stuff has to be installed onto the data
partition. On a network (which this is) there is no need, otherwise a
backup of data can be done before reformatting (which should exist
anyway)


Fishb8 05-18-2004 07:03 PM

Re: Reinstalling XP from scratch
 
Hi Zog
Why do you need to re-install, yearly?
Roy
"Patrick Dunford" <patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b14b8a1f06eadc9989779@news.paradise.net. nz...
> In article <oamqc.6790$XI4.243108@news.xtra.co.nz>, noway@at.all says...
> > I do regular backups of my Hard Disk. Yeah, right. Nice one Dave.
> >
> > Patrick, the advice so far is correct you dont have to to format first.

You
> > can if you want to but I don't. The setup program gives you that

option.
> > Just one suggestion though: It is a good idea if there are at least two
> > partitions on your hard disk. The OS and programs can be on one. All

your
> > data, music, smut (oops I meant holiday snaps) etc can be on the second
> > partition. So when you reinstall (I do it about once a year) you need

only
> > reformat your C: partition.

>
> The problem with multiple partitions is simple: eventually the system
> partition becomes too full and stuff has to be installed onto the data
> partition. On a network (which this is) there is no need, otherwise a
> backup of data can be done before reformatting (which should exist
> anyway)
>





All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.