Velocity Reviews

-   -   Orcon Virus Guard (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570645-orcon-virus-guard.html)

~misfit~ 05-17-2004 12:56 AM

Orcon Virus Guard

Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in the last
24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working well.

I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s). However, as
of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to 35 spam emails a
day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary attacks. I have an Xtra
account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account gets
checked every time I check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one
(or any other emails for that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are
Orcon addys more prone to spam than other addys?

Anyone else notice this trend?
--
~misfit~

james 05-17-2004 02:22 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

I have had an orcon account for about 3 months. I dont use that email
address at all, as I have a domain. Over the weekend I got 4 virus infected
emails in it.

Dont know how they got my address. It could be a dictionary attack, but I
dont have a very common name.

Wyn 05-17-2004 03:13 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

~misfit~ wrote:
> Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
> the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working well.
>
> I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
> However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
> 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary
> attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my
> ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I check my other
> accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any other emails for
> that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are Orcon addys more prone
> to spam than other addys?
>
> Anyone else notice this trend?

It's always been around. When my Paradise address got spammed I opened
two new ones and they have both been clean so far. Unfortunately the
original spammed address could not be closed because it was my logon at
Paradise and apparently the only way I could close it was to sign off
completely from Paradise and reapply, which I am not going to do, so
their server can continue to be cluttered with spam from that address..
Once they've got your address on their CDs that address has had it.

As far as the viruses are concerned, that's an immense number to get.
I've been lucky enough to only get four or five in the past three years
or so. With one of them I actually managed to track down the infected
machine. Quite a victory. My missus (it's catching :-)) has a whole host
of computer illiterate friends who have our address and every so often I
give the lot of them a hurry up just so that they don't forget that
there are viruses around. There's someone with a very sick computer who
has your address in their address book.

Wyn

~misfit~ 05-17-2004 04:20 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

Wyn wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
>> the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working
>> well.
>>
>> I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
>> However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
>> 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary
>> attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my
>> ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I check my other
>> accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any other emails for
>> that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are Orcon addys more prone
>> to spam than other addys?
>>
>> Anyone else notice this trend?

> It's always been around. When my Paradise address got spammed I opened
> two new ones and they have both been clean so far. Unfortunately the
> original spammed address could not be closed because it was my logon
> at Paradise and apparently the only way I could close it was to sign
> off completely from Paradise and reapply, which I am not going to do,
> so their server can continue to be cluttered with spam from that
> address.. Once they've got your address on their CDs that address has
> had it.

A lot of the spams are sent to huge lists of people, all with similar
spelling to my addy. It's definitely a dictionary attack.

> As far as the viruses are concerned, that's an immense number to get.
> I've been lucky enough to only get four or five in the past three
> years or so. With one of them I actually managed to track down the
> infected machine. Quite a victory. My missus (it's catching :-))

<g> It's easier than "significant other" or fiancee. We're engaged, not
married, or I'd say "wife". She doesn't mind being called the missus.

> has
> a whole host of computer illiterate friends who have our address and
> every so often I give the lot of them a hurry up just so that they
> don't forget that there are viruses around. There's someone with a
> very sick computer who has your address in their address book.

Could be, I'm not sure how this one is spreading, whether it's random.
--
~misfit~

Gavin Tunney 05-17-2004 05:31 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:56:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:

>Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in the last
>24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working well.
>
>I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s). However, as
>of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to 35 spam emails a
>day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary attacks. I have an Xtra
>account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account gets
>checked every time I check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one
>(or any other emails for that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are
>Orcon addys more prone to spam than other addys?
>
>Anyone else notice this trend?

Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

Cheers

Gavin

~misfit~ 05-17-2004 06:17 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

Gavin Tunney wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:56:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
>> the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working
>> well.
>>
>> I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
>> However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
>> 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are
>> dictionary attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant
>> (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I
>> check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any
>> other emails for that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are
>> Orcon addys more prone to spam than other addys?
>>
>> Anyone else notice this trend?

> Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
> never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
> get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
> Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy and
most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Nelly 05-17-2004 07:00 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:17:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:

>Gavin Tunney wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:56:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
>>> the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
>>> However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
>>> 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are
>>> dictionary attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant
>>> (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I
>>> check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any
>>> other emails for that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are
>>> Orcon addys more prone to spam than other addys?
>>>
>>> Anyone else notice this trend?

>> Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
>> never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
>> get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
>> Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

>Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy and
>most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.
>
>Cheers,

I get a lot more spam to my orcon account than I do to my ihug and my
spam has escalated to a around 150 per day.

Nelly.
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :-)

Mike_P 05-17-2004 07:16 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

"Nelly" <gusnelly5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:17:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >Gavin Tunney wrote:

> >> Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
> >> never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
> >> get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
> >> Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

> >Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy

and
> >most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.
> >
> >Cheers,

> I get a lot more spam to my orcon account than I do to my ihug and my
> spam has escalated to a around 150 per day.
>

> Nelly.
> If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :-)

Why don't you enable Spam Filtering on your Orcon Account. Orcon catch 'All'
the spam to my account, which is more than I can say for ClearNet !

Mike

Wyn 05-17-2004 08:07 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

~misfit~ wrote:
> Wyn wrote:
>> infected machine. Quite a victory. My missus (it's catching :-))

> <g> It's easier than "significant other" or fiancee. We're engaged,
> not married, or I'd say "wife". She doesn't mind being called the
> missus.

ROTFL I hope she doesn't realise that "missus" is the colloquial form of
"mistress".

Oops! I'd better revert to referring to my "wife".

Wyn

Nelly 05-17-2004 09:12 AM

Re: Orcon Virus Guard

On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:16:17 +1200, "Mike_P"
<pynenburg@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Nelly" <gusnelly5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:4boga0dnq71lbnvd2hrrid0hfp5g9fabso@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:17:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:

>> >Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy

>and
>> >most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.
>> >
>> >Cheers,

>> I get a lot more spam to my orcon account than I do to my ihug and my
>> spam has escalated to a around 150 per day.
>>

>> Nelly.
>> If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :-)

>Why don't you enable Spam Filtering on your Orcon Account. Orcon catch 'All'
>the spam to my account, which is more than I can say for ClearNet !
>
>Mike

I have an automatic forward to my ihug account which has spam
filtering. I check my ihug spam filters as sometimes some of my emails
do go through to there then forward what I want and delete the rest.

I am just looking at Orcon now as I didn't know they had introduced
Spam filtering so will play around and change things and see what
happens to spam from there.

Thanks.