Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows Networking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570632-windows-networking.html)

Craig Shore 05-14-2004 06:07 PM

Windows Networking

After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Nicolaas Hawkins 05-14-2004 08:23 PM

Re: Windows Networking

On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message
<news:7i2aa01v1b68ul15m7rv3s1qg7grf7ae3d@4ax.com >,
Craig Shore wrote:

> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
>
> Any ideas where I should start looking?

Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
day when I was looking for something else.
--

Regards,
Nicolaas.

Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
E-Mail me for details. raptor@top.net.nz

- Grow your own dope...plant a politician!

Bok 05-14-2004 11:21 PM

Re: Windows Networking

Craig Shore wrote:
> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
>
> Any ideas where I should start looking?

You could try looking in the event log for errors.

MarkH 05-15-2004 12:18 AM

Re: Windows Networking

Craig Shore <craigshore@paradise.net.nz> wrote in

> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no
> longer talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay
> though, it's just the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not
> going.
>
> Any ideas where I should start looking?

Check the properties of the LAN connection. The update may have improved
the security on the PC by turning on the firewall (advanced tab of TCP
properties).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

steve 05-15-2004 11:23 AM

Re: Windows Networking

Craig Shore wrote:
> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
>
> Any ideas where I should start looking?

I had exactly this happen after applying patches to a new Win98SE system
this week. I was trying to bring it up to date....

So I wiped the system and re-installed....and avoided the patches. I
don't use MS IE or Outlook Express anyway....so I have no interest in
updating them. I DO apply the IDE cache patch as it is almost essential
on 2GHz PCs with fast hard drives....They shutdown so fast you can
cabbage the system first time out unless you get this patch on.

I have wondered if Microsoft would start introducing "errors" into the
Win9x support in an effort to force people to upgrade.

Craig Shore 05-16-2004 06:47 AM

Re: Windows Networking

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:23:18 +1200, steve <steve@mozilla-thunderbird0.6.org.nz>
wrote:

>Craig Shore wrote:
>> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
>> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
>> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
>>
>> Any ideas where I should start looking?

>I had exactly this happen after applying patches to a new Win98SE system
>this week. I was trying to bring it up to date....
>
>So I wiped the system and re-installed....and avoided the patches. I
>don't use MS IE or Outlook Express anyway....so I have no interest in
>updating them.

Some of the updates said they needed to be applied to the above even if you
don't use them as the risk was still there.

Craig Shore 05-16-2004 01:14 PM

Re: Windows Networking

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:23:29 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
<raptor@top.net.nz> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message
><news:7i2aa01v1b68ul15m7rv3s1qg7grf7ae3d@4ax.com> ,
>Craig Shore wrote:
>
>> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
>> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
>> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
>>
>> Any ideas where I should start looking?

>Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
>day when I was looking for something else.

I still can't find what I need on the MS site, and can't solve my
problem. One thing I have discovered, when I open Windows Explorer,
click on Entire Network, then on Microsoft Windows Network
it takes ages before MSHOME comes up (30 secs?) then double clicking
on that again takes ages before it comes up with the error

Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this server is not currently available.

I tried removing Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print
sharing from the network card, then added them in again and ran the
network setup wizzard thing, but it still won't go.

Patrick Dunford 05-17-2004 12:54 AM

Re: Windows Networking

In article <u3pea0l2gibn46c6cub4ih3b9e74rfs57h@4ax.com>,
craigshore@paradise.net.nz says...
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:23:29 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
> <raptor@top.net.nz> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message
> ><news:7i2aa01v1b68ul15m7rv3s1qg7grf7ae3d@4ax.com> ,
> >Craig Shore wrote:
> >
> >> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
> >> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
> >> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
> >>
> >> Any ideas where I should start looking?

> >Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
> >day when I was looking for something else.

> I still can't find what I need on the MS site, and can't solve my
> problem. One thing I have discovered, when I open Windows Explorer,
> click on Entire Network, then on Microsoft Windows Network
> it takes ages before MSHOME comes up (30 secs?) then double clicking
> on that again takes ages before it comes up with the error
>
> Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions.
> The list of servers for this server is not currently available.
>
> I tried removing Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print
> sharing from the network card, then added them in again and ran the
> network setup wizzard thing, but it still won't go.

What protocol are you using?

Does XP's personal firewall [or any other firewall you are using] block
connections from other computers in the network? I know that Zonealarm
can.

Craig Shore 05-17-2004 01:02 AM

Re: Windows Networking

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:54:29 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>In article <u3pea0l2gibn46c6cub4ih3b9e74rfs57h@4ax.com>,
>craigshore@paradise.net.nz says...
>> On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:23:29 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
>> <raptor@top.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>> >On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message
>> ><news:7i2aa01v1b68ul15m7rv3s1qg7grf7ae3d@4ax.com> ,

>> >Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
>> >day when I was looking for something else.

>> I still can't find what I need on the MS site, and can't solve my
>> problem. One thing I have discovered, when I open Windows Explorer,
>> click on Entire Network, then on Microsoft Windows Network
>> it takes ages before MSHOME comes up (30 secs?) then double clicking
>> on that again takes ages before it comes up with the error
>>
>> Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
>> if you have access permissions.
>> The list of servers for this server is not currently available.
>>
>> I tried removing Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print
>> sharing from the network card, then added them in again and ran the
>> network setup wizzard thing, but it still won't go.

>What protocol are you using?
>
>Does XP's personal firewall [or any other firewall you are using] block
>connections from other computers in the network? I know that Zonealarm
>can.

XP's firewall isn't on, and Sygate Personal Firewall has the Network
Neighbourhood completley enabled.

Mr Scebe 05-17-2004 07:08 AM

Re: Windows Networking

"Craig Shore" <craigshore@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

> XP's firewall isn't on, and Sygate Personal Firewall has the Network
> Neighbourhood completley enabled.

Try to connect to a network resource using the IP address of the other PC
ie: net use \\192.168.0.1\share

This will determine whether the problem lies within LANManager or not. You
don't have an LMHosts file with out of date data?

Also at the command prompt, type netstat -na which will show you what ports
your PC is listening on.

Report your findings, and we can diagnose it further from there.

--
Mr Scebe
"Never trust a woman or a government"