Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   WIN XP hangs on shutdown (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570610-win-xp-hangs-on-shutdown.html)

JB 05-13-2004 07:10 AM

WIN XP hangs on shutdown
 
Hi

New problem with Win XP - has worked fine for 2 years, all MS updates,
patches, firewalled, AVG antivirus and Adaware protected - always up to
date - haven't had a problem.

Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my daughter
had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)

Logged off and ran AVG and this healed and quarantined it - now when I shut
down the system hangs during "windows is shutting down" the mouse freezes
and that's it. only way to switch it off is to turn off the power on the
back of the PC.

Any ideas HELP!!!

Cheers

JB



JB 05-13-2004 08:57 AM

Re: WIN XP hangs on shutdown - Faulty USB hub
 
Hi again

Fixed it - faulty DSE 4 port Bus Powered USB hub. Noticed the lights weren't
on - unplugged it and behold, PC shuts down perfectly - back to DSE it goes.
USB port on the PC still fine as proved by plugging in the Digital Camera
Yayyy!!!

Ciao

JB



"JB" <REMOVEnzwinelinks@paradise.net.nz_REMOVE> wrote in message
news:N7Foc.1710$FN.185082@news02.tsnz.net...
> Hi
>
> New problem with Win XP - has worked fine for 2 years, all MS updates,
> patches, firewalled, AVG antivirus and Adaware protected - always up to
> date - haven't had a problem.
>
> Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my

daughter
> had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)
>
> Logged off and ran AVG and this healed and quarantined it - now when I

shut
> down the system hangs during "windows is shutting down" the mouse freezes
> and that's it. only way to switch it off is to turn off the power on the
> back of the PC.
>
> Any ideas HELP!!!
>
> Cheers
>
> JB
>
>




Dave Taylor 05-13-2004 09:58 PM

Re: WIN XP hangs on shutdown - Faulty USB hub
 
"JB" <REMOVEnzwinelinks@paradise.net.nz_REMOVE> wrote in news:eIGoc.1742
$FN.187870@news02.tsnz.net:

>> Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my

> daughter
>> had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)
>>


Make her have her own account and make it a limited user. It is really
hard to "just get a virus" from a chat room (if you are patched). You
usually have to do something, like receive and run a file.
Ciao, Dave

’_£₯ΊΡ 05-13-2004 10:54 PM

Re: WIN XP hangs on shutdown - Faulty USB hub
 
"Dave Taylor" <daveytay@nospamplshotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94E96587D2705daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.9 3.13...
> "JB" <REMOVEnzwinelinks@paradise.net.nz_REMOVE> wrote in news:eIGoc.1742
> $FN.187870@news02.tsnz.net:
>
> >> Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my

> > daughter
> >> had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)
> >>

>
> Make her have her own account and make it a limited user. It is really
> hard to "just get a virus" from a chat room (if you are patched). You
> usually have to do something, like receive and run a file.
> Ciao, Dave


Not unless someone paste an infected site's URL in the chatroom, and being
typical kids as they are, they click on it without realising the
consequences. . .



JB 05-14-2004 06:39 AM

Re: WIN XP hangs on shutdown - Faulty USB hub
 
"’_£₯ΊΡ" <sea_vu@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40a3fca2$0$21595$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
> "Dave Taylor" <daveytay@nospamplshotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns94E96587D2705daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.9 3.13...
> > "JB" <REMOVEnzwinelinks@paradise.net.nz_REMOVE> wrote in news:eIGoc.1742
> > $FN.187870@news02.tsnz.net:
> >
> > >> Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my
> > > daughter
> > >> had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)
> > >>

> >
> > Make her have her own account and make it a limited user. It is really
> > hard to "just get a virus" from a chat room (if you are patched). You
> > usually have to do something, like receive and run a file.
> > Ciao, Dave

>
> Not unless someone paste an infected site's URL in the chatroom, and being
> typical kids as they are, they click on it without realising the
> consequences. . .
>


Yes she has her own account, which IS now "limited user" hehe!! BTW My
Daughter is 28, but not very PC savvy - needless to say my system is virus
free again and running like a charm.

I'm surprised how many people I know that don't know about internet
security - I fixed a neighbours PC recently cos their PC was so slow -
Nortons not updated for over a year, no firewall or spyware software - they
had 65 various viruses and spyware programmes running on their PC - bloody
bonzai buddy Monkey, and all sorts of crap.... wonder it ran at all) 3 Hours
later and I had it like a new PC.

Cheers

JB




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.