Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570538-bit-torrent-and-jetstream-surf-account.html)

Neil Lee 05-08-2004 09:06 AM

Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

Hi All,

I currently have an Xtra JetStream Surf flat rate account. Could
somebody tell me whether I can use a Bit-torrent client with this plan?
I seem to remember Xtra took a dim view of people running p2p stuff like
Kazaa on Jetstream accounts. Does BT fall in the same category?

Apologies if the question is a bit clueless. I've never been interested
in file sharing, but Bit-torrent seems a much more community friendly
method for big downloads than ftp etc.

Thanks, Neil

Gordon 05-08-2004 09:11 AM

Re: Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

On Sat, 08 May 2004 21:06:26 +1200, Neil Lee wrote:

> Apologies if the question is a bit clueless. I've never been interested
> in file sharing, but Bit-torrent seems a much more community friendly
> method for big downloads than ftp etc.

Your on to it. Bit Torrent is the way large files are shifted around the
internet. No longer are we all suckers, we have the file, or part of it so
we pass it on.

It is the next step in the evolution of the Internet, or a use of it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 05-08-2004 09:35 AM

Re: Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

Neil Lee wrote
> I currently have an Xtra JetStream Surf flat rate account. Could
> somebody tell me whether I can use a Bit-torrent client with this plan?

yep, but if your using a router, you'll probably have to pinhole some ports.

some routers do some fancy **** with passing the IP to an internal machine,
bt it seems to have it's downsides too(breaking a few specs from what i have
read about it.)

steve 05-08-2004 12:22 PM

Neil Lee wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I currently have an Xtra JetStream Surf flat rate account. Could
> somebody tell me whether I can use a Bit-torrent client with this plan?

I downloaded Knoppix 3.4 (1 disc) and Slackware 9.1 (2 discs) with Bit
Torrent just this week.

It works fine. You need to make sure you have opened up ports 6881 to
6889 on your ADSL Router/firewall.

> I seem to remember Xtra took a dim view of people running p2p stuff like
> Kazaa on Jetstream accounts. Does BT fall in the same category?

If Xtra ius your ISP and they complain....dump them and get another
Jetstream ISP.

> Apologies if the question is a bit clueless. I've never been interested
> in file sharing, but Bit-torrent seems a much more community friendly
> method for big downloads than ftp etc.

You're right....and the error correction is much better. You're less
likely to download a 650MB coaster if you use Bit Torrent.

steve 05-08-2004 12:24 PM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> some routers do some fancy **** with passing the IP to an internal machine,
> bt it seems to have it's downsides too(breaking a few specs from what i have
> read about it.)

I tried to set it up, but it gave me a head-ache....so I went with the
firewall on the router...instead of trying to pass the IP through to my
own firewall......and it works just fine.

Port re-direction to another PC on my internal LAN is a trivial task
with the web interface on the router.

"..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
- Thomas Jefferson

Starkey 05-08-2004 11:16 PM

Re: Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:06:26 +1200, "Neil Lee" <neil@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I currently have an Xtra JetStream Surf flat rate account. Could
>somebody tell me whether I can use a Bit-torrent client with this plan?
>I seem to remember Xtra took a dim view of people running p2p stuff like
>Kazaa on Jetstream accounts. Does BT fall in the same category?
>
>Apologies if the question is a bit clueless. I've never been interested
>in file sharing, but Bit-torrent seems a much more community friendly
>method for big downloads than ftp etc.
>
>Thanks, Neil

yeah i use it for tv episodes etc its great can be slow sometimes

Dave Taylor 05-09-2004 03:55 AM

Re: Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

"Neil Lee" <neil@nowhere.com> wrote in news:mq1nc.1899$XI4.83989
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Bit-torrent seems a much more community friendly
> method for big downloads than ftp etc.

It is a great thing if you have a high cap, but with a 5 gig plan on a
cable modem, I would say to stay away. You end up uploading some of your
download, helping other to get their pieces. This eats into your plan, so
keep a good eye on this if you have a traffic usage cap, and overage
charges. As far as clients for .torrent files go, I really like Azureus.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Ciao, Dave

Neil Lee 05-09-2004 10:55 AM

Re: Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

Thanks to all for your informative replies.

Cheers, Neil

Craig Shore 05-09-2004 09:34 PM

Re: Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

On Sun, 09 May 2004 03:55:09 GMT, Dave Taylor <daveytay@nospamplshotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Neil Lee" <neil@nowhere.com> wrote in news:mq1nc.1899$XI4.83989
>@news.xtra.co.nz:
>
>> Bit-torrent seems a much more community friendly
>> method for big downloads than ftp etc.
>>

>It is a great thing if you have a high cap, but with a 5 gig plan on a
>cable modem, I would say to stay away. You end up uploading some of your
>download, helping other to get their pieces. This eats into your plan, so
>keep a good eye on this if you have a traffic usage cap, and overage
>charges. As far as clients for .torrent files go, I really like Azureus.
>
>http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Take a look at ABC
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/

samg 05-10-2004 02:58 AM

Re: Bit-torrent and JetStream Surf account

"Neil Lee" <neil@nowhere.com> wrote in news:mq1nc.1899$XI4.83989
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Hi All,
>
> I currently have an Xtra JetStream Surf flat rate account. Could
> somebody tell me whether I can use a Bit-torrent client with this plan?
> I seem to remember Xtra took a dim view of people running p2p stuff like
> Kazaa on Jetstream accounts.

yeah so they say but theres a lot of people going hard downloading 30GB+ a
month until they get the speed limiter working.