Velocity Reviews

-   -   Charged for ARP packets? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570479-charged-for-arp-packets.html)

Peter Grooby 05-03-2004 09:20 PM

Charged for ARP packets?

Hi,
I've recently got connected on my home machine with a Telstra/Saturn
cable modem.

I was wanting to check how much data I was downloading, so installed a
traffic monitor. I noticed that, even when not doing anything I was
downloading data at about 1K/second.

I installed a packet sniffer and found that the traffic is made up of a
large number of ARP who-has packets.

I understand that these are broadcast packets. Does anyone know if I
might be being charged for 'downloading' these packets? I would hope
not, but it never hurts to ask.

I'll ask tech support as Telstra Saturn, but I may not get a reply, so I
thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks
Pete
Remove pants from email address to reply.

Gordon Smith 05-03-2004 10:10 PM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

"Peter Grooby" <peter.grooby@airways.pants.co.nz> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b017e8a21e4f5709896dd@news.iconz.co.nz.. .
> Hi,
> I've recently got connected on my home machine with a Telstra/Saturn
> cable modem.
>
> I was wanting to check how much data I was downloading, so installed a
> traffic monitor. I noticed that, even when not doing anything I was
> downloading data at about 1K/second.
>
> I installed a packet sniffer and found that the traffic is made up of a
> large number of ARP who-has packets.
>
> I understand that these are broadcast packets. Does anyone know if I
> might be being charged for 'downloading' these packets? I would hope
> not, but it never hurts to ask.
>
> I'll ask tech support as Telstra Saturn, but I may not get a reply, so I
> thought I'd ask here too.
>
> Thanks
> Pete

Depends on where they put their accounting collection points... probably
not.
1k of nothing but ARPs sounds rather high - you should have a look at your
network configuration.

Peter Grooby 05-03-2004 10:23 PM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

> Depends on where they put their accounting collection points... probably
> not.
> 1k of nothing but ARPs sounds rather high - you should have a look at your
> network configuration.

It doesn't appear to be anything else. What network configeration
options should I be looking at?

Robert Singers 05-03-2004 10:35 PM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

Out from under a rock popped Peter Grooby and said

> Hi,
> I've recently got connected on my home machine with a Telstra/Saturn
> cable modem.
>
> I was wanting to check how much data I was downloading, so installed a
> traffic monitor. I noticed that, even when not doing anything I was
> downloading data at about 1K/second.
>
> I installed a packet sniffer and found that the traffic is made up of
> a large number of ARP who-has packets.
>
> I understand that these are broadcast packets. Does anyone know if I
> might be being charged for 'downloading' these packets? I would hope
> not, but it never hurts to ask.

Out of interest are these Universal Plug and Play broadcasts?

> I'll ask tech support as Telstra Saturn, but I may not get a reply, so
> I thought I'd ask here too.

I've found Telstra support very good. It might take a while but you
should get a reply. Please post it here when you do.

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply

Peter Grooby 05-03-2004 10:48 PM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

In article <Xns94DF6BCB3AB25rsingers@IP-Hidden>,
rsingers@finger.hotmail.com says...
> > I understand that these are broadcast packets. Does anyone know if I
> > might be being charged for 'downloading' these packets? I would hope
> > not, but it never hurts to ask.

> Out of interest are these Universal Plug and Play broadcasts?

I am using Ethereal to view the packets. How do I tell if they are

Gordon Smith 05-03-2004 11:26 PM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

"Peter Grooby" <peter.grooby@airways.pants.co.nz> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b018d8898ea743b9896de@news.iconz.co.nz.. .

> It doesn't appear to be anything else. What network configeration
> options should I be looking at?
>
> Pete

Well, you'll have a default route pointing towards your provider. The router
at your end should be replying with the same MAC for every arp request. You
can see what's being requested in ethereal, and then start working back from
there. How you handle arp caching depends on the router you're using

Robert Singers 05-03-2004 11:57 PM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

Out from under a rock popped Peter Grooby and said

> I am using Ethereal to view the packets. How do I tell if they are
> Universal Plug and Play broadcasts?

IIRC UDP 5000

AD. 05-04-2004 12:37 AM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

On Tue, 04 May 2004 10:10:20 +1200, Gordon Smith wrote:

> 1k of nothing but ARPs sounds rather high - you should have a look at your
> network configuration.

I don't think it would be his network config, just the fact he's on a
shared cable segment.

We see a similar thing with Citylink/WIX, it's basically one big ethernet
network, so you see a lot of ARP stuff floating around.

I don't think Telstra would charge for it, it wouldn't go past the
routers, and I presume the accounting is done on what goes through the
routers?

Speaking of which, does that give you free networking between yourself and
someone else on the same segment?

Cheers
Anton

Peter Grooby 05-04-2004 12:40 AM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

In article <1083626752.243818@radsrv1.tranzpeer.net>, user@xxx.zz
says...

> > It doesn't appear to be anything else. What network configeration
> > options should I be looking at?
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Well, you'll have a default route pointing towards your provider. The router
> at your end should be replying with the same MAC for every arp request. You
> can see what's being requested in ethereal, and then start working back from
> there. How you handle arp caching depends on the router you're using

I am a bit new to this side of things. But from what I can gather the
ARP is trying to find out the MAC address that corresponds to a given IP
address, so that subsequent messages can be sent directly to that MAC
address.
So if I send out an ARP, and get a response, I need to store that
response for later use. I have no reason to presume that isn't working
OK in my system so I'm not too worried about that side of it.

The traffic I am concerned about is the 99.99% of the ARPs which are
machines I know nothing about, requesting the MAC addresses of other
machines that I know nothing about. But because they are broadcasts, are
being downloaded (and presumably ignored) by my machine.

I just mant to make sure that there isn't some screwy billing system
that will end up charging me for them, as they add up to about 70
megs/day.

Peter Grooby 05-04-2004 12:40 AM

Re: Charged for ARP packets?

In article <Xns94DF79A36882Frsingers@IP-Hidden>,
rsingers@finger.hotmail.com says...
> Out from under a rock popped Peter Grooby and said
>
> > I am using Ethereal to view the packets. How do I tell if they are
> > Universal Plug and Play broadcasts?

> IIRC UDP 5000

I'll have a look tonight.