Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   UK VOIP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f34-uk-voip.html)
-   -   Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570243-sony-to-give-psp-voip-capabilities.html)

Stephen Hammond 01-05-2008 12:58 PM

Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice over
internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming console the
PSP.

Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web using
free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the capabilities of
the PSP.

The news was broken on the Consumer Electronic Show news section on Sony's
website, which lists Skype as one of the latest version of the game
console's top features.

Last year Sony announced that it would be partnering with BT to provide the
PSP Go! Messenger service as of January this year.

It is currently unclear how these plans relate to Sony's latest
announcement, with industry experts speculating that as the two applications
offer similar features the services could be combined.

Potential benefits of the PSP's new VoIP capabilities for gamers include the
ability to talk to opponents while playing and swap hints and tips with
other users online.

In late 2007 Skype expanded its service further by entering into a
partnership with mobile phone provider 3.

As part of the deal users of 3's Skype phone were given access to unlimited
free VoIP calls to other Skype users worldwide.




--


Lift share day 14th June www.liftshare.org



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Ian Pawson 01-05-2008 03:26 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
Stephen Hammond wrote:
> Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice over
> internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming console the
> PSP.
>
> Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web using
> free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the capabilities of
> the PSP.
>
> The news was broken on the Consumer Electronic Show news section on Sony's
> website, which lists Skype as one of the latest version of the game
> console's top features.
>
> Last year Sony announced that it would be partnering with BT to provide the
> PSP Go! Messenger service as of January this year.
>
> It is currently unclear how these plans relate to Sony's latest
> announcement, with industry experts speculating that as the two applications
> offer similar features the services could be combined.
>
> Potential benefits of the PSP's new VoIP capabilities for gamers include the
> ability to talk to opponents while playing and swap hints and tips with
> other users online.
>
> In late 2007 Skype expanded its service further by entering into a
> partnership with mobile phone provider 3.
>
> As part of the deal users of 3's Skype phone were given access to unlimited
> free VoIP calls to other Skype users worldwide.
>
>
>
>

But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system

alexd 01-05-2008 03:58 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

> Stephen Hammond wrote:
>> Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice
>> over internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming
>> console the PSP.
>>
>> Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web
>> using free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the
>> capabilities of the PSP.


> But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system


Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from being VoIP.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
15:54:05 up 6:18, 2 users, load average: 0.19, 0.13, 0.11
2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.

Ivor Jones 01-05-2008 04:30 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 


"alexd" <troffasky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:477fa937$0$514$bed64819@news.gradwell.net
: : On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:
: :
: : : Stephen Hammond wrote:
: : : : Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to
: : : : announce that a voice over internet protocol (VoIP)
: : : : feature is coming to its leading gaming console the
: : : : PSP.
: : : :
: : : : Users of the console will be able to talk to online
: : : : peers over the web using free internet
: : : : communication programme Skype, enhancing the
: : : : capabilities of the PSP.
: :
: : : But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to
: : : peer system
: :
: : Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from
: : being VoIP.

Unfortunate but true.

Ivor


Linker3000 01-06-2008 12:13 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
Ivor Jones wrote:
> Skype's proprietary status does not preclude
> it from
> : : being VoIP.
>
> Unfortunate but true.
>
> Ivor
>


Agreed. A SIP-based app would be better, but still not much more than a
novelty.

Ian Pawson 01-06-2008 12:30 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
alexd wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:
>
>> Stephen Hammond wrote:
>>> Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice
>>> over internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming
>>> console the PSP.
>>>
>>> Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web
>>> using free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the
>>> capabilities of the PSP.

>
>> But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system

>
> Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from being VoIP.
>

voip is a point to point system whereas Skype is a peer to peer system
ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all the
time that you are on-line.

Paul Cupis 01-06-2008 01:17 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
Ian Pawson wrote:
> voip is a point to point system


Wrong.

Ivor Jones 01-06-2008 04:15 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
"Ian Pawson" <ian@ipawson.com> wrote in message
news:flqhgo$l40$1@registered.motzarella.org

[snip]

: : voip is a point to point system

Wrong.

: :whereas Skype is a peer
: : to peer system ie you pay for them to be able to use
: : your broadband connection all the time that you are
: : on-line.

Only if you become a "super" node. If you're not running the program they
can't use your bandwidth and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
router anyway.

Ivor


alexd 01-06-2008 04:54 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:30:03 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

> alexd wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:


>>> But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system

>>
>> Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from being VoIP.
>>

> voip is a point to point system


What does that mean?

> whereas Skype is a peer to peer system ie you pay for them to be able
> to use your broadband connection all the time that you are on-line.


It's still VoIP.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
16:51:37 up 1 day, 7:15, 2 users, load average: 0.34, 0.41, 0.45
2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.

Al Paca 01-06-2008 09:07 PM

Re: Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities
 
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:15:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote:

>and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
>router anyway.


I'm not sure that is completely right.



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.