Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sigma SD 14 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570213-sigma-sd-14-a.html)

S 01-05-2008 09:23 AM

Sigma SD 14

I have the chance of this package below and quite interested, this will be
my first SLR. It seems a good deal at 499.
Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

thanks

5114578
Sigma SD-14 Digital SLR body
In Stock for Home Delivery 1 499.99 499.99

5000106
Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC (Sigma AF)
In Stock for Home Delivery 1 79.99 FREE

1040183
Sigma UV 58mm EX Filter
Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 19.99 FREE

5120472
Sigma Lens Cleaning Cloth
Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 5.99 FREE

Beladi Nasrallah 01-05-2008 09:53 AM

Re: Sigma SD 14

On Jan 5, 7:23*pm, "S" <none...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I have the chance of this package below and quite interested, this will be
> my first SLR. It seems a good deal at 499.
> Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.
>
> thanks
>
> * * *5114578
> * * * Sigma SD-14 Digital SLR body
> * * * In Stock for Home Delivery 1 499.99 *499.99
>
> * * *5000106
> * * * Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC (Sigma AF)
> * * * In Stock for Home Delivery 1 79.99 *FREE
>
> * * *1040183
> * * * Sigma UV 58mm EX Filter
> * * * Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 19.99 *FREE
>
> * * *5120472
> * * * Sigma Lens Cleaning Cloth
> * * * Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 5.99 *FREE

Sigma SD14 was my first digital SLR, and I was unimpressed with it. I
was much more impressed with the cheaper Canon "Digital Rebel". Canon
was much more user-friendly... which effected my desire to snap more
and more pictures with it. Though, it (Canon) was not my camera, I
just borrowed it.

Buyer beware !

Pete D 01-05-2008 11:16 AM

Re: Sigma SD 14

"S" <nonense@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:H0Ifj.79320$036.46642@fe1.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
>I have the chance of this package below and quite interested, this will be
>my first SLR. It seems a good deal at 499.
> Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.
>
> thanks
>
> 5114578
> Sigma SD-14 Digital SLR body
> In Stock for Home Delivery 1 499.99 499.99
>
> 5000106
> Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC (Sigma AF)
> In Stock for Home Delivery 1 79.99 FREE
>
> 1040183
> Sigma UV 58mm EX Filter
> Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 19.99 FREE
>
> 5120472
> Sigma Lens Cleaning Cloth
> Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 5.99 FREE

Even free this is not a camera I would foist on a beginner or anyone for
that matter. Just don't do it, buy any other D-SLR at any price and you will
be better off.

Oh and that lens is maybe worth $20 max, they are total dogs.

Cheers.

Pete

David J Taylor 01-05-2008 11:25 AM

Re: Sigma SD 14

S wrote:
> I have the chance of this package below and quite interested, this
> will be my first SLR. It seems a good deal at 499.
> Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.
>
> thanks
>
> 5114578
> Sigma SD-14 Digital SLR body
> In Stock for Home Delivery 1 499.99 499.99
>
> 5000106
> Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC (Sigma AF)
> In Stock for Home Delivery 1 79.99 FREE

A much better deal to me would be a Nikon (or perhaps Canon) equivalent:

Nikon D40 (6MP) with 18 - 55mm lens - 269
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/ph...ras/Nikon.html

Nikon D40X (10MP) with 18 - 55mm lens - 370
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/ph...ikon.html#d40x

The Sigma has the reputation of producing poor images (poor colours and
excessive "jaggies"). Personally, I would not even consider one of their
DSLRs.

Be sure to visit a shop and compare the handling of the entry-level
DSLRs - compare Nikon, Canon and if you have time, the Pentax and Olympus
offerings as well. See which fits well in your hands, where the controls
are easy to operate, and which viewfinder suits your eyesight the best.

Cheers,
David

Art in MT 01-05-2008 01:32 PM

Re: Sigma SD 14

You may wish to read the Amazon reviews of this camera. its appears it
is not a good all-round camera. I considered its older brother before
buying a canon 20D - because I wanted the ability to point and shoot
rapidly.

S 01-05-2008 02:46 PM

Re: Sigma SD 14

Thanks for the comments guys plenty to think about now.

flambe 01-05-2008 04:50 PM

Re: Sigma SD 14

Forget the anti-Sigma bias.
As a life long Nikon user I fail to see where Nikon's products are
universally good or anything near worth what they cost, particuarly the
lenses. Clearly Nikon low balls many of its camera prices the way printer
manufacturers low ball printer prices.
If you know what you are getting and what you will use it for the foveon
sensor has some specific attributes that may make it desirable.The Sigma
18-50 is not much worse than the Nikon or Canon kit lens of that ilk, the
latter being particularly awful.
However for general use at the usual price this camera sells for there are
better all round options.
Ultimately the price you quote is too good to be true, so it probably isn't.

Peter Stavrakoglou 01-05-2008 05:52 PM

Re: Sigma SD 14

All the anti-Sigma bias can make you think twice, can't it? Try some of the
people who use one and ask their opinion. I just bought one a few weeks
ago. I've owned an SD9 for years. Is the SD14 the best camera? Depends on
what you want to do with it. I have two other DSLRs, a Nikon and an Olympus
and they are nice cameras but cannot equal the sharpness of the Sigma. The
SD14 is not the best low-light camera but it is a far cry better than its
predecessors.

The lens you indicated will not do justice to the camera. Try the 18-50mm
EX macro or the 50mm EX and you'll be quite pleased with the results. Stick
with the EX lenses.

Visit the Sigma forum on dpreview.com for some opinions or actual users
rather than opinions of those who've never held the camera, let alone used
it.

Mr. Strat 01-05-2008 06:07 PM

Re: Sigma SD 14

In article <H0Ifj.79320$036.46642@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk >,
<nonense@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have the chance of this package below and quite interested, this will be
> my first SLR. It seems a good deal at 499.
> Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.
>
> 5114578
> Sigma SD-14 Digital SLR body
> In Stock for Home Delivery 1 499.99 499.99
>
> 5000106
> Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC (Sigma AF)
> In Stock for Home Delivery 1 79.99 FREE
>
> 1040183
> Sigma UV 58mm EX Filter
> Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 19.99 FREE
>
> 5120472
> Sigma Lens Cleaning Cloth
> Home Delivery Usually within 10 Days 1 5.99 FREE

Don't waste your money on this crap.

Mr. Strat 01-05-2008 06:09 PM

Re: Sigma SD 14

In article <SzOfj.2998$pr6.1838@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, flambe
<fac187@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Forget the anti-Sigma bias.

It's justified. Their products are crap, in particular, their digital
cameras.