Velocity Reviews

-   -   Closing port 135 and disabling DCOM affect Task Scheduler? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t570118-closing-port-135-and-disabling-dcom-affect-task-scheduler.html)

updata@noemail.com 01-04-2008 09:30 PM

Closing port 135 and disabling DCOM affect Task Scheduler?

I recently had a reason to set up a scheduled task for the first time in
quite awhile. However, I couldn't start my Task Scheduler Service.

My operating system is Windows 2000, sp4 with the updated rollup pack v2.

I found that the only way to start the service was to right click on the
mstask.inf file and install. That asked for the SP4 update version of
mstask.exe and mstinit.exe on the original Windows 2000 OS disk.

After successfully starting the service, I now get constant auto updates from
Microsoft asking me to install the Update Rollup SP4, which was already
installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

I decided to install it again and whenever I do (I even intalled another time
in safe mode), I can't open the Task Scheduler service. Each time I have to
reinstall mstask.inf, and that always brings back the MS Auto update icon
asking to reinstall SP4.

Several months ago, I closed port 135 by disabling DCOM and adding a string
to the registry. Could that have disabled the Task Scheduler service, and
if I reverse what I did to close port 135, and reinstall SP4 again, will that
solve both problems (SP4 installation requests and Task Scheduler Service)?

why? 01-04-2008 10:57 PM

Re: Closing port 135 and disabling DCOM affect Task Scheduler?

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:30:34 -0600, updata@noemail.com wrote:

Do you own the domain noemail.com? If not do they let you send spam to
thier servers so you son't get it?

Guessing this isn't you?

whois -h whois.tucows.com noemail.com ...
Registrant:
MegaWeb.com Inc.
1201 North Market Street
18th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801
US
Domain name: NOEMAIL.COM
Administrative Contact:
Hostmaster,
1201 North Market Street
18th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801
US
310-203-6699

Try reading 1 or more of these
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

>I recently had a reason to set up a scheduled task for the first time in
>quite awhile. However, I couldn't start my Task Scheduler Service.
>
>My operating system is Windows 2000, sp4 with the updated rollup pack v2.
>
>I found that the only way to start the service was to right click on the
>mstask.inf file and install. That asked for the SP4 update version of
>mstask.exe and mstinit.exe on the original Windows 2000 OS disk.
>
>After successfully starting the service, I now get constant auto updates from
>Microsoft asking me to install the Update Rollup SP4, which was already
>installed.

Instead of 2000.general, what about
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...07436&expand=1
microsoft.public.win2000.setup
microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade
microsoft.public.win2000.msi

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861
>

>I decided to install it again and whenever I do (I even intalled another time
>in safe mode), I can't open the Task Scheduler service. Each time I have to
>reinstall mstask.inf, and that always brings back the MS Auto update icon
>asking to reinstall SP4.
>

>Several months ago, I closed port 135 by disabling DCOM and adding a string
>to the registry. Could that have disabled the Task Scheduler service, and

That rings a gong.... since I can't remember then www.google.com

RPC used 135, it's not a dependency is it, check in services.

Usual places to check
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
(yes it's XP, services still services)

http://www.aumha.org/

This is XP also, but mostly the same
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319624

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279736.htm

Upgrade the version of MSI before soing SP4.

>if I reverse what I did to close port 135, and reinstall SP4 again, will that
>solve both problems (SP4 installation requests and Task Scheduler Service)?

Why not just try it.....then you would know.

TS depends on RPC.

Me

updata@kfjslkfjaslfjaslfja.com 01-05-2008 06:17 AM

Re: Closing port 135 and disabling DCOM affect Task Scheduler?

why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:30:34 -0600, noemail.com wrote:
>
> Do you own the domain noemail.com? If not do they let you send spam to
> thier servers so you son't get it?

Judging by how many people are using that noemail.com alias, you wonder if
it's worth actually registering it (a web search indicates it's quite
popular). To satisfy you, I changed it to some very generic group of
letters (not as varied as yours though).

It's getting so that you can't find an email suffix to use that hasn't been
registered already! Obviously I didn'intend to use one that had a
registered domain. I'm sure you know the reason - so that some spammer
doesn't pick up actual email addresses from the groups.

> Usual places to check
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
> (yes it's XP, services still services)
>
> http://www.aumha.org/
>
> This is XP also, but mostly the same
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319624
>
> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279736.htm
>
> Upgrade the version of MSI before soing SP4.
>
>>if I reverse what I did to close port 135, and reinstall SP4 again, will
>>that solve both problems (SP4 installation requests and Task Scheduler
>>Service)?

> Why not just try it.....then you would know.
>
> TS depends on RPC.
>
> Me

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I corrected the reinstallation of the
update for sp4, but I still haven't been able to start the Task Scheduler
yet. Reopening the port and enabling D-com didn't help.

why? 01-05-2008 10:34 AM

Re: Closing port 135 and disabling DCOM affect Task Scheduler?

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:17:26 -0600, updata@kfjslkfjaslfjaslfja.com
wrote:

>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
>news:9jctn31bjokusv0up59dotabtpmtt26p14@4ax.com :
>

>> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:30:34 -0600, noemail.com wrote:
>>
>> Do you own the domain noemail.com? If not do they let you send spam to
>> thier servers so you son't get it?

>Judging by how many people are using that noemail.com alias, you wonder if
>it's worth actually registering it (a web search indicates it's quite

It is registered, I included the owner details from a whois search.

You know this bit,
Registrant:
MegaWeb.com Inc.

Read this as well, it's also mentioned (.invalid) in the munge articles,
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt
To safely satisfy these needs, four domain names are reserved as
listed and described below.
..test .example .invalid
..localhost

".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
glance are invalid.

However .invalid is easy to remove so at least use another of the
guidelines as well.

>popular). To satisfy you, I changed it to some very generic group of

Not me, the domain isn't yours, the address is vaild so spam is sent to
thier servers by the address you used.

You did read the articles about munging an address then? You still have
a .com , it's unlikely anyone will register kfjslkfjaslfjaslfja , but
you can use the simple rules the articles mentioned.

Ok so mine is anonymous, breaks 1 of the guides but that's the way
things are, I don't want email from the ng's.

>letters (not as varied as yours though).

Mine is a valid format and slightly and simply encoded. Yes broke 2nd
rule didn't say how to undo it. However if you search 24hshd I think I
did say once.

>It's getting so that you can't find an email suffix to use that hasn't been
>registered already! Obviously I didn'intend to use one that had a
>registered domain. I'm sure you know the reason - so that some spammer
>doesn't pick up actual email addresses from the groups.

Which is just what you did :-( anyway.

Using <snip> is handy as well.

<snip>

>Thanks for the suggestions. I think I corrected the reinstallation of the

YW.

>update for sp4, but I still haven't been able to start the Task Scheduler
>yet. Reopening the port and enabling D-com didn't help.

Okay, what about

Task Scheduler Service Must Be Started with System Account
When you attempt to start Task Scheduler, you may receive the one of the
following error messages: Error 2147750678: Could not start the Task
Scheduler ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223170 - Similar pages

Check the event log for start errors related to TS.
Using event viewer -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302542/en-us

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ervice-started

Me