Velocity Reviews

-   -   leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t569996-leaving-ihug-adsl-to-go-to-xtra-adsl-am-i-mad.html)

Max 03-07-2004 05:24 AM

Re: leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:22:52 +1000, "Mark"
<mark@eDASHevolutionDOTnet.N0SPAM> wrote:

>It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95 (Bandwidth
>throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited (Again
>bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra (Excuse the
>pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am seriously thinking of
>leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
>
>Cheers
>Mark

I would too, but don't you have to pay a signup fee with xtra? Maybe
also a disconnection fee with ihug (some companies do charge a
disconnection fee for online services)

steve 03-07-2004 07:16 AM

Mark wrote:

> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95 (Bandwidth
> throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited
> (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra
> (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am
> seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Are you comparing new Xtra plan with old ihug plan?

Try calling ihug and asking if they will offer a plan like Xtra's soon.....

Chris 03-07-2004 07:29 AM

Re: leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??

"Mark" <mark@eDASHevolutionDOTnet.N0SPAM> wrote in

> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95
> (Bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up
> unlimited (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for
> an xtra (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I
> am seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I
> mad??
>
> Cheers
> Mark

What about this ?
http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/jetsurf/
I'm sure other ISP's will have something to offer

--
Chris

Starkey 03-07-2004 07:30 AM

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:16:33 +1300, steve <ok@ok.org.nz> wrote:

>Mark wrote:
>
>> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95 (Bandwidth
>> throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited
>> (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra
>> (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am
>> seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mark

>Are you comparing new Xtra plan with old ihug plan?
>
>Try calling ihug and asking if they will offer a plan like Xtra's soon.....

i would wait until other isps offer 256k at an ok cost(under breath
yeah right)

JF 03-07-2004 08:01 AM

"Starkey" <starkey@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:16:33 +1300, steve <ok@ok.org.nz> wrote:
>
> >Mark wrote:
> >
> >> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95

(Bandwidth
> >> throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited
> >> (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra
> >> (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am
> >> seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Mark

> >Are you comparing new Xtra plan with old ihug plan?
> >
> >Try calling ihug and asking if they will offer a plan like Xtra's

soon.....

> i would wait until other isps offer 256k at an ok cost(under breath
> yeah right)

You mean, under $9.95/month (cost of Xtra and Orcon) ?

steve 03-07-2004 09:39 AM

Starkey wrote:

> i*would*wait*until*other*isps*offer*256k*at*an*ok*cost(under*breath
> yeah right)

They may. If you have been following the activities of the
Telecommunications Commissioner, they seem directed toward making 256k ADSL
available on a competitive basis.

We will have to wait and see....but it appears that Xtra - as usual - is
first cab off the rank in making the new offering. Telecom always likes to
let it's own ISP go first. This is their utterly bent idea of
"competition"....which is why the office of Telecommunications Comissioner
was created in the first place.

Chris 03-07-2004 10:27 AM

Re: leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??

steve <ok@ok.org.nz> wrote in

> Starkey wrote:
>
>> i*would*wait*until*other*isps*offer*256k*at*an*ok*cost(under*breath
>> yeah right)

> They may. If you have been following the activities of the
> Telecommunications Commissioner, they seem directed toward making 256k
> ADSL available on a competitive basis.
>
> We will have to wait and see....but it appears that Xtra - as usual -
> is first cab off the rank in making the new offering. Telecom always
> likes to let it's own ISP go first. This is their utterly bent idea of
> "competition"....which is why the office of Telecommunications
> Comissioner was created in the first place.

Other ISP's are offering the same deal

--
Chris

Starkey 03-07-2004 10:46 AM

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 07:29:34 GMT, Chris <no@noemail.com> wrote:

>"Mark" <mark@eDASHevolutionDOTnet.N0SPAM> wrote in
>
>> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95
>> (Bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up
>> unlimited (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for
>> an xtra (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I
>> am seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I
>> mad??
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mark
>>

>What about this ?
>http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/jetsurf/
>I'm sure other ISP's will have something to offer

yeah i might give it a go im with orcon ill try it for a month the 10
gig sounds like a plan

MarkH 03-07-2004 11:34 AM

Re: leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??

"Mark" <mark@eDASHevolutionDOTnet.N0SPAM> wrote in

> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95
> (Bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up
> unlimited (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for
> an xtra (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I
> am seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I
> mad??

Ihug have changed to 128 up/down throttled after 20GB international with
all the national traffic you feel like. The new Xtra deal makes no mention
of national traffic, so I would assume everything including E-Mail and
Newsgroups would count to that cap.

I would also assume that in the interest of being competitive IHUG will be
putting together a package to rival Xtra’s. I am hoping for a better deal
with national traffic excluded and maybe a 20GB option.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"