Velocity Reviews

-   -   govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t569790-govt-expectations-for-2006-9-6kbps-speed.html)

harry 02-22-2004 04:11 PM

Re: govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/ would be a good place to start.

L33T 02-22-2004 09:16 PM

govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed

all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.

"The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
account of disabilities. "

great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
another **two** years time.

so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-22-2004 09:31 PM

L33T wrote:
> all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
> "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
> connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
> account of disabilities. "
> great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
> another **two** years time.

Maybe they want them to work for Cellphone connections?

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

L33T 02-22-2004 09:37 PM

Re: govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed

i hadn't considered that, primarily because of mallards comments about the
need for govt websites to be loadable at 9.6 for those who can't afford the
latest technology. they also may live in the wrong place - i read that as
rural or isolated.

steve 02-22-2004 09:46 PM

L33T wrote:

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
>
> all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
>
> "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
> connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and
> take account of disabilities. "
>
> great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6
> in another **two** years time.
>
> so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

A fair number of people in NZ live in aplces where the electric fence clicks
make 9.6 seem like an impossible dream.

I believe the government is doing the right thing in ensuring what they
provide can be accessed by everyone who can keep a connection going long
enough to be usable.

harry 02-22-2004 11:06 PM

L33T wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
>
> all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
>
> "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
> connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
> account of disabilities. "
>
> great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
> another **two** years time.
>
> so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

Excellent news
Well done Mark Harris !
Text information needs to be made available in plain html for the blind
using text to speech
Listen to the web designers whine !
Its got nothing to do with unbundling of copper ADSL and everything to
do with universal access to information.

steve 02-22-2004 11:09 PM

harry wrote:

> Its got nothing to do with unbundling of copper ADSL and everything to
> do with universal access to information.

At risk of repeating myself - I agree. :-)

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-22-2004 11:23 PM

L33T wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
> all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
> "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
> connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
> account of disabilities. "
> great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
> another **two** years time.
> so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

If they started making webpages that took 15 mins to load on dialup,
would that be supportive of unbundling?

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

JedMeister 02-22-2004 11:26 PM

Re: govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed

This is good...like yahoo main page loads really quickly while it looks and
functions OK too.

Chris 02-22-2004 11:30 PM

> i hadn't considered that, primarily because of mallards comments about
> the need for govt websites to be loadable at 9.6 for those who can't
> afford the latest technology. they also may live in the wrong place -
> i read that as rural or isolated.
>
>> Maybe they want them to work for Cellphone connections?

I'm glad you have raised the issue of mallard's. Mallard's are ducks, have
no understanding of IT and tend to CRAP everywhere. I don't think there is
any cause for alarm.

--
Chris