Velocity Reviews

-   -   spammers take the weekend off? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t569677-spammers-take-the-weekend-off.html)

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-15-2004 02:08 AM

spammers take the weekend off?

Is it just me that gets almost 0 spam in the weekends?

Very little Mon/Tue(40 odd each day), builds up on Wednesday(60 odd), I
get a heap on Thursday/Friday(~80 each day) but in the weekends it dies
off(12 yeasterday, 4 sofar today).

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

steve 02-15-2004 07:03 AM

Re: spammers take the weekend off?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Is it just me that gets almost 0 spam in the weekends?

It's just you.

My logs show my server has blocked about 150 spam since Midnight friday.
Most of it out of Asia.

AD. 02-15-2004 07:37 PM

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:08:08 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Is it just me that gets almost 0 spam in the weekends?
>
> Very little Mon/Tue(40 odd each day), builds up on Wednesday(60 odd), I
> get a heap on Thursday/Friday(~80 each day) but in the weekends it dies
> off(12 yeasterday, 4 sofar today).

I get more during the weekends. I was at work yesterday, and the rate they
were coming in was noticeably higher than during the week.

Cheers
Anton

Peter KERR 02-15-2004 08:49 PM

Re: spammers take the weekend off?

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" wondered:
> Is it just me that gets almost 0 spam in the weekends?

Yup, just you ;-)
Weekends Nth America = Sun, Mon here, mine more than doubles in size...
50 - 60 / day normal -> up to 300 for their weekend.

No obvious difference in content or apparent source.

Uncle StoatWarbler 02-16-2004 04:20 AM

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:03:00 +1300, steve wrote:

> My logs show my server has blocked about 150 spam since Midnight friday.
> Most of it out of Asia.

Ditto.

I've just been informed that one of the more rabid spamhosters got raided
stateside on Saturday morning, resulting in the seizure of all of the
equipment.

As this particular bunch were indulging in a lot of the trojan horse type
spam and DDoS attacks against complainers, this is a good thing, if true.