Velocity Reviews

-   Microsoft Certification (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f24-microsoft-certification.html)
-   -   MCDBA vs. MCTS: SQL (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t56961-mcdba-vs-mcts-sql.html)

Ryan Langton 03-20-2006 04:44 PM

MCDBA vs. MCTS: SQL

I'm looking into getting some type of DBA certification for SQL Server.
Should I take the MCDBA exam track for SQL Server 2000, or look more into
newer certifications such as the MCTS: SQL Server 2005?

My office currently uses SQL Server 2000 for all our database needs. We
have over 10 applications that use the SQL Server, including Project Server
2003 and WSS. We've tried SQL Server 2005 for numerous apps. and have
failed to get anything to work right with it. It seems like a pretty
drastic change from SQL Server 2000. I don't want to invest a lot of time
getting certified in technology on it's way out, on the other hand I don't
want to get certified in technology that may never get off the ground or
that I may never use.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks,
Ryan

Gorm Braarvig 03-20-2006 06:16 PM

Re: MCDBA vs. MCTS: SQL

"Ryan Langton" <langton@ci.manhattan.ks.us> wrote in message
> I'm looking into getting some type of DBA certification for SQL Server.
> Should I take the MCDBA exam track for SQL Server 2000, or look more into
> newer certifications such as the MCTS: SQL Server 2005?
>
> My office currently uses SQL Server 2000 for all our database needs. We
> have over 10 applications that use the SQL Server, including Project
> Server
> 2003 and WSS. We've tried SQL Server 2005 for numerous apps. and have
> failed to get anything to work right with it. It seems like a pretty
> drastic change from SQL Server 2000.

Is this related to connecting to the database?
SQL 2005 is secure by default, so you must run a utility to configure
security before trying this. Most other things should run without
problems...
Have you taken your SQL 2005 problems to forums.microsoft.com?

> I don't want to invest a lot of time
> getting certified in technology on it's way out, on the other hand I don't
> want to get certified in technology that may never get off the ground or
> that I may never use.

Take the 2005 certification, SQL 2005 is a revolution! (even if SQL 2000 SP4
fixes a lot of pain)

Ryan Langton 03-20-2006 07:12 PM

Re: MCDBA vs. MCTS: SQL

"Gorm Braarvig" <gorm_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ryan Langton" <langton@ci.manhattan.ks.us> wrote in message
>> I'm looking into getting some type of DBA certification for SQL Server.
>> Should I take the MCDBA exam track for SQL Server 2000, or look more into
>> newer certifications such as the MCTS: SQL Server 2005?
>>
>> My office currently uses SQL Server 2000 for all our database needs. We
>> have over 10 applications that use the SQL Server, including Project
>> Server
>> 2003 and WSS. We've tried SQL Server 2005 for numerous apps. and have
>> failed to get anything to work right with it. It seems like a pretty
>> drastic change from SQL Server 2000.

> Is this related to connecting to the database?
> SQL 2005 is secure by default, so you must run a utility to configure
> security before trying this. Most other things should run without
> problems...
> Have you taken your SQL 2005 problems to forums.microsoft.com?

No I haven't. We've only been "demo'ing" SQL 2005 I guess so I didn't take
the problems too seriously. I'm sure we'll have better luck after I learn a
bit more about SQL 2005.

>> I don't want to invest a lot of time
>> getting certified in technology on it's way out, on the other hand I
>> don't
>> want to get certified in technology that may never get off the ground or
>> that I may never use.

> Take the 2005 certification, SQL 2005 is a revolution! (even if SQL 2000
> SP4 fixes a lot of pain)

Thanks! I will likely end up going for the SQL 2005 certs.