Velocity Reviews

-   -   web based VNC? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t569553-web-based-vnc.html)

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-07-2004 04:15 AM

web based VNC?

Is there a web based VNC client that I can chuck on my web server?

as in so I can go to a webpage, enter in the IP/port/password of my
machine at home, and do it?

other wise I have to carry round a cd with VNCviewer.exe on it or
download it each time.

Setting up my machine to be accessable via the web thing in VNC isn't
really ideal.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

David Preece 02-07-2004 04:56 AM

Re: web based VNC?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Is there a web based VNC client that I can chuck on my web server?

Ah, mate, it's better than that! The VNC server can serve up a Java web
page for the machine it's live on. All it needs is some firewall
trickery, and you're away.

http://www.realvnc.com/javavncviewer.html

It's a bit, y'know, Java but it does the job.

Cheers,
Dave

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-07-2004 04:58 AM

Re: web based VNC?

David Preece wrote:
>> Is there a web based VNC client that I can chuck on my web server?

> Ah, mate, it's better than that! The VNC server can serve up a Java web
> page for the machine it's live on. All it needs is some firewall
> trickery, and you're away.
> http://www.realvnc.com/javavncviewer.html
> It's a bit, y'know, Java but it does the job.

nice... but heres a bit that you snipped "Setting up my machine to be

David Preece 02-07-2004 06:39 AM

Re: web based VNC?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> nice... but heres a bit that you snipped "Setting up my machine to be
> accessable via the web thing in VNC isn't really ideal."

Sorry. Must learn to RTFusenetpost.

Dave

steve 02-07-2004 09:18 AM

Re: web based VNC?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Is there a web based VNC client that I can chuck on my web server?
>
> as in so I can go to a webpage, enter in the IP/port/password of my
> machine at home, and do it?
>
> other wise I have to carry round a cd with VNCviewer.exe on it or
> download it each time.
>
> Setting up my machine to be accessable via the web thing in VNC isn't
> really ideal.

an ssh tunnel into the system.....then use VNC?

Are we talking Linux (comes naturally) or Windows (have to add the
functionality)?

Ian Boag 02-07-2004 06:37 PM

Re: web based VNC?

GoToMyPC

not free of course ........

Uncle StoatWarbler 02-08-2004 12:43 AM

Re: web based VNC?

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:37:25 +0000, Ian Boag wrote:

> GoToMyPC
>
> not free of course ........

Even the original test VNC servers had webservers on port 5880

Try www.tightvnc.org - the server has a webserver function and it's free.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-08-2004 03:06 AM

Re: web based VNC?

David Preece wrote:
>> nice... but heres a bit that you snipped "Setting up my machine to be
>> accessable via the web thing in VNC isn't really ideal."

> Sorry. Must learn to RTFusenetpost.

no worries... for the moment I am using it, but I would rather have it
turned off.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-08-2004 03:12 AM

Re: web based VNC?

steve wrote:
>>Setting up my machine to be accessable via the web thing in VNC isn't
>>really ideal.

> an ssh tunnel into the system.....then use VNC?
> Are we talking Linux (comes naturally) or Windows (have to add the
> functionality)?

Windows box... but, Im on wireless, with a private IP...
I can ping my machine from the webserver(putty->shell), so I figure I
can probably connect to it too. Webserver is a BSD box.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz 02-08-2004 03:18 AM

Re: web based VNC?

Ian Boag wrote:
> GoToMyPC
> not free of course ........

I have tried a free trial of that ages ago, and I didn't like it, it
lagged really badly compared to VNC.

This was on Jetstart at the time.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz