Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lexmark Z55 Printer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t569139-lexmark-z55-printer.html)

Matthew Strickland 01-07-2004 01:08 AM

Lexmark Z55 Printer

Hi all,

I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
but it fails to print.

I went and had a look at it, its installed via parallel, and appears to
'communicate' to the printer, as I can view ink levels etc. But when you
print, the print monitor pops up, jumps to 20% (in word document), paper
goes into the printer... and thats it. Printer sits and waits with the paper
loaded, and the PC just sits on 20%. No error messages.

A DOS spool job gets to 14%, test page gets to 9%.... etc....

I can get a test page out of the printer itself... so the print cartridges
are installed ok... any ideas?

Windows 98 SE, Lexmark Z55 via Parallel Port. (ECP mode, bi-directional)

Matt

Dave Taylor 01-07-2004 04:55 AM

Re: Lexmark Z55 Printer

"Matthew Strickland" <noname@noaddress.somewhere.com> wrote in

> Hi all,
>
> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the
> manual but it fails to print.
>
> I went and had a look at it, its installed via parallel, and appears
> to 'communicate' to the printer, as I can view ink levels etc. But
> when you print, the print monitor pops up, jumps to 20% (in word
> document), paper goes into the printer... and thats it. Printer sits
> and waits with the paper loaded, and the PC just sits on 20%. No error
> messages.
>
> A DOS spool job gets to 14%, test page gets to 9%.... etc....
>
> I can get a test page out of the printer itself... so the print
> cartridges are installed ok... any ideas?
>
> Windows 98 SE, Lexmark Z55 via Parallel Port. (ECP mode,
> bi-directional)
>
> Matt

Do you get a test page by using the driver properties on the computer, or
by pushing buttons on the actual printer? Lexmark (drivers) are pains,
Look for new ones on their web site. I bet there is some HP stuff left
over too causing a conflict.
Ciao, Dave

Peter Huebner 01-08-2004 12:51 PM

Re: Lexmark Z55 Printer

In article <r_IKb.4008$9k7.89684@news.xtra.co.nz>,
noname@noaddress.somewhere.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
> but it fails to print.

If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...

i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.

-Peter

Matthew Strickland 01-08-2004 07:20 PM

Re: Lexmark Z55 Printer

I can get a test page only from the printer itself.

Ive had no problems with any other Lexmark printer. - Epson or Cannon would
be the only other brand id prefer, HP but only the $500+ models.

Ill have a go at installing it on another machine first I think (with a
different OS), if it works ill look at different drivers for Win98. Ive
heard the drivers are a pain for these printers.

Matt

K & S 01-08-2004 08:57 PM

Re: Lexmark Z55 Printer

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 01:51:34 +1300, Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> wrote:

>In article <r_IKb.4008$9k7.89684@news.xtra.co.nz>,
>noname@noaddress.somewhere.com says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
>> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
>> but it fails to print.

>If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
>quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
>maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...
>
>i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.
>
> -Peter

Yes they get 10 of my Crap marks..

Dave Taylor 01-08-2004 10:10 PM

Re: Lexmark Z55 Printer

Uninstall all printers from problem machine, reboot, reinstall lexmark.
Ciao, Dave

Trinity 01-09-2004 06:57 AM

Re: Lexmark Z55 Printer

wrote:

>In article <r_IKb.4008$9k7.89684@news.xtra.co.nz>,
>noname@noaddress.somewhere.com says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
>> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
>> but it fails to print.

>If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
>quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
>maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...
>
>i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.
>
> -Peter

imho and ymmv I'd agree