Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD ripping software? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t569050-dvd-ripping-software.html)

T.N.O. 12-28-2003 10:58 PM

DVD ripping software?

Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
thread...

I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

cowboyz 12-29-2003 12:00 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

T.N.O. wrote:
> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
> thread...
>
> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

ok. In my DVD converting programs folder I have:

dvdtoavi
fitcd
flaskmpeg_078_38
GordianKnot (which I was going to look at but never got round to it)
smartripper
ssrc
tmpgenc plus 2.59.47.155
toolame
virtualdub

Everything I ever need. (until next week where I'll pickup my new DVD+R
which I accidently hit the reserve on last night)

T.N.O. 12-29-2003 12:05 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

cowboyz wrote:
> Everything I ever need. (until next week where I'll pickup my new DVD+R
> which I accidently hit the reserve on last night)

Accidentally? you mean you were bidding without the intention of buying?

Bruce Simpson 12-29-2003 12:14 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:00:53 +1300, "cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote:

>T.N.O. wrote:
>> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
>> thread...
>>
>> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

>ok. In my DVD converting programs folder I have:
>
>dvdtoavi
>fitcd
>flaskmpeg_078_38
>GordianKnot (which I was going to look at but never got round to it)
>smartripper
>ssrc
>tmpgenc plus 2.59.47.155
>toolame
>virtualdub

If you're ripping to VCD or SVCD then DVD2SVCD is a nice package that
integrates all the tools into a convenient menu-driven system.

And, surprisingly enough -- if you use TMPGenc at a suitably high
bitrate, you get very close to DVD-quality results. Try to keep the
bitrate to > 2100 with 2-pass VBR and it's damned good -- usually
requiring just 2 CDRs per full-length feature movie.

The other advantage is that you can crop 16:9 widescreen movies to a
more acceptable 1:85:1 so that they aren't grossly letter-boxed as is
the case when playing the original DVD. Most of the time I tend to
zoom such DVDs at 1.5 times -- but that's sometimes a little too much
so using AVIsynth to zoom in to about 1.3x is brilliant.

cowboyz 12-29-2003 12:47 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

T.N.O. wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>> Everything I ever need. (until next week where I'll pickup my new
>> DVD+R which I accidently hit the reserve on last night)

> Accidentally? you mean you were bidding without the intention of
> buying?

funny really. I'll blame this little 15' monitor I borrowed to get dual
display running again while I am in search of my new monitor.
I had 2 DVD writers up , one on either screen. One is a ricoh 4x DVD+R.
The other is a Pioneer DVD+_R+RAM I clicked on the wrong window (tired) and
bid on the DVD+R instead of the +- +RAM drive. and it hit the reserve. I
don't mind really. It will do but not what I was intending on buying. I
like Ricoh anyway. Always had a really good run with them. We will see if
anyone outbids me.

geoffm 12-29-2003 01:28 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:58:45 +1300, "T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote:

>Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
>thread...
>
>I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

I use BackupDVD, which is simple "one button" DVD ripper and splits
to suit the CD size. I sometimes need to rip to a single mpg file,
then use Tmpeg to spilt the file, as occasionally it doesn't split
them nicely, or only has 5 mins on the second disk and so on. Works
well, easy to use and good enough.
Geoff

T.N.O. 12-29-2003 02:40 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

T.N.O. wrote:
> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
> thread...
> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

Im using DVDx 2.2 from sourceforge... seems fine, but slow. only
7.3fps... I did have to choose 6 channel sound as the other options were
commentry options(as in director, producer, Arnie)

It seems to use 50% CPU for a few seconds, then nothing...
OS is XP on a dual Athlon 1800+ with 512MB ram... the rest doesnt really
matter.

cowboyz 12-29-2003 05:06 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

T.N.O. wrote:
> T.N.O. wrote:
>> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
>> thread...
>> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

> Im using DVDx 2.2 from sourceforge... seems fine, but slow. only
> 7.3fps... I did have to choose 6 channel sound as the other options
> were commentry options(as in director, producer, Arnie)
>
> It seems to use 50% CPU for a few seconds, then nothing...
> OS is XP on a dual Athlon 1800+ with 512MB ram... the rest doesnt
> really matter.

This is for converting to SVCD? I am not sure what fps I would pull off
converting to SVCD. I use tmpgenc + for converting now and it is damn slow
but damn good results. Damn slow means 10-12 hours for 100mins video on
XP2100+

GraB 12-29-2003 07:36 AM

Re: DVD ripping software?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:58:45 +1300, "T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote:

>Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
>thread...
>
>I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

DVD Decrypter, Dr Divx. 8-12 hrs on Duron 1100, depending on movie.
Can fit onto one CD usually (sometimes it has to be a 790 or 870Mb)
and quality is near DVD.

steve 12-29-2003 07:38 AM

Cheapo DVD Players Re: DVD ripping software?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:14:42 +1300, Bruce Simpson wrote:

> And, surprisingly enough -- if you use TMPGenc at a suitably high
> bitrate, you get very close to DVD-quality results. Try to keep the
> bitrate to > 2100 with 2-pass VBR and it's damned good -- usually
> requiring just 2 CDRs per full-length feature movie.

My experience has been that SVCDs over 2100 will result in video
corruption on cheapo DVD players. They just don't have enough buffer to
cope with the throughput if you get a lot of action scenes.

By keeping the data rate at about 1950 or below, I avoid the corruption
problem.

I have seen this on a Mustek DVD player - the $229 one sold at DSE a year
ago.

Try your luck....the newer ones will either be:

better (newer!) or worse (cheaper!).