Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft's Xmas Message...... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t569009-microsofts-xmas-message.html)

steve 12-25-2003 08:12 AM

Microsoft's Xmas Message......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

or

http://tinyurl.com/2vhc2

Extract (full):

Microsoft's festive advice: Don't plug PCs into the web

25.12.2003
By CHARLES ARTHUR

LONDON - Its slogan is "where do you want to go today?" But Microsoft asks
that if you get a Windows computer for Christmas, don't take it to one
particular place: the internet.

At least, the company says, not until you've been to the shops again to
buy extra software, and protected the system from the deluge of viruses
and worms that target the flaws in Microsoft's software as soon as you
take it online.

The warning came as anti-virus companies said 2003 was the worst year ever
for viruses attacking Windows, with two "global" outbreaks which were the
biggest in the history of the internet.

And now a new Windows virus, called Sober, is spreading fast in Germany
and Europe. It turns personal computers into mass-mailing machines that
can be used by spammers to send messages, and spreads the virus to anyone
in the machine's address book.

Microsoft's advice features in a new page on - inevitably - its website,
entitled "Protect New PCs Before Connecting to the internet".

Anyone who manages to go online to read it without being infected will
find the company warning users to obtain anti-virus software, and a
"firewall" (which new versions of Windows include, yet the company leaves
turned off) before they venture online.

But as Simon Moores, an internet consultant, pointed out yesterday, the
software giant's admonitions "place the world in a catch-22: you can't be
sure that it's safe to go online unless you connect to the internet and
get a huge file of security updates from Microsoft, and new anti-virus
files - which are also only available online".

- INDEPENDENT

Warwick 12-26-2003 01:33 AM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:12:26 +1300, steve wrote:

> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2vhc2
>
> Extract (full):
>
> Microsoft's festive advice: Don't plug PCs into the web
>
> 25.12.2003
> By CHARLES ARTHUR
>
> LONDON - Its slogan is "where do you want to go today?" But Microsoft asks
> that if you get a Windows computer for Christmas, don't take it to one
> particular place: the internet.
>
> At least, the company says, not until you've been to the shops again to
> buy extra software, and protected the system from the deluge of viruses
> and worms that target the flaws in Microsoft's software as soon as you
> take it online.
>
> The warning came as anti-virus companies said 2003 was the worst year ever
> for viruses attacking Windows, with two "global" outbreaks which were the
> biggest in the history of the internet.
>
> And now a new Windows virus, called Sober, is spreading fast in Germany
> and Europe. It turns personal computers into mass-mailing machines that
> can be used by spammers to send messages, and spreads the virus to anyone
> in the machine's address book.
>
> Microsoft's advice features in a new page on - inevitably - its website,
> entitled "Protect New PCs Before Connecting to the internet".
>
> Anyone who manages to go online to read it without being infected will
> find the company warning users to obtain anti-virus software, and a
> "firewall" (which new versions of Windows include, yet the company leaves
> turned off) before they venture online.
>
> But as Simon Moores, an internet consultant, pointed out yesterday, the
> software giant's admonitions "place the world in a catch-22: you can't be
> sure that it's safe to go online unless you connect to the internet and
> get a huge file of security updates from Microsoft, and new anti-virus
> files - which are also only available online".
>
> - INDEPENDENT

Not very satisfactory is it?

One wonders why the onus of preparing the machine for 'net readiness' does
not fall onto the vendor.

They are preinstalling the software anyway, why cant they install the
patches before sale?

Enkidu 12-26-2003 04:21 AM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:33:31 +1300, Warwick <wjcb@extra.co.nz> wrote:

>Not very satisfactory is it?
>
>One wonders why the onus of preparing the machine for 'net readiness' does
>not fall onto the vendor.

Because it would be next to impossible to achieve. Firstly the lead
time for a new machine from a major manufacturer is say 3 - 4 weeks.
Then they sit in boxes in the shop for an unknown number of weeks.
With reasonable turn-over maybe a week or two. Before the machine are
shipped from the factory, it'll take maybe a week to build a btach and
maybe another week sitting in the warehouse. They are built using
disks that are manufactured with the OS pre-installed. So may be the
disks are in stock for on average two weeks. The OS is installed on
the master system (or however it is done) based on a image which is a
standard image. I don't know how the standard image is updated - I
suspect that they are not. However if they were there would be a lead
time on how long that took. Say a month, for testing, updating, UAT,
etc.

So if a patch comes out NOW, the earliest it could possibly appear in
machines in the retailers could be 13 -14 weeks. That is too out of
date.

>They are preinstalling the software anyway, why cant they install the
>patches before sale?

The boxes don't get opened after they leave the factory. The software
does not get installed in the shop.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

Lennier 12-26-2003 04:58 AM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:21:51 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> They are built using disks that are manufactured
> with the OS pre-installed. So may be the disks are in stock for on average
> two weeks. The OS is installed on the master system (or however it is
> done) based on a image which is a standard image

So why don't they update that standard image to include the patches
released for that particular version of Windows that ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE?

How difficult would that be?

Even simpler, how difficult would it be to create a directory in that
image into which they could throw every patch released by Micro$oft for
that particular version of Windows, and for the software that has been
preinstalled.

Not difficult at all, IMHO.

Lennier

Lennier 12-26-2003 04:59 AM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:21:51 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> So if a patch comes out NOW, the earliest it could possibly appear in
> machines in the retailers could be 13 -14 weeks. That is too out of date.

Solution, buy your computer in pieces and put it together yourself.

Some cannot do that you say?? too bad! They shouldn't buy such microsoft
software.

Lennier

Enkidu 12-26-2003 06:26 AM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:58:37 +1300, Lennier
<notanyspam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:21:51 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> They are built using disks that are manufactured
>> with the OS pre-installed. So may be the disks are in stock for on average
>> two weeks. The OS is installed on the master system (or however it is
>> done) based on a image which is a standard image

>So why don't they update that standard image to include the patches
>released for that particular version of Windows that ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE?
>
>How difficult would that be?
>
>Even simpler, how difficult would it be to create a directory in that
>image into which they could throw every patch released by Micro$oft for
>that particular version of Windows, and for the software that has been
>preinstalled.

How?

The hard disks are *created* with an image on them. The image does not
get copied or ghosted to the disk.

So far as I'm aware they don't test the system as a whole before it
goes out. I've had systems arrive with cables not connected, and
others with dead HDDs.

>Not difficult at all, IMHO.

<heh!>

Probably a better idea would be a "patches" CD that would be required
to run before the machine would start properly. But even that would be
weeks old.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lennier 12-26-2003 01:36 PM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:26:59 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> The hard disks are *created* with an image on them. The image does not get
> copied or ghosted to the disk.

Well then create them with an updated image!!!!!

I mean, how many persons does it take, and over how many minutes does it
take to create a drive image in the first place????

Lennier

jerm 12-26-2003 09:17 PM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 02:36:05 +1300, Lennier <notanyspam@nospam.invalid> said

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:26:59 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> The hard disks are *created* with an image on them. The image does not get
>> copied or ghosted to the disk.

>Well then create them with an updated image!!!!!
>
>I mean, how many persons does it take, and over how many minutes does it
>take to create a drive image in the first place????

About 2-3 weeks to create and distribute, world wide, all the patches to
date. And in that 2-3 weeks, another umpteen viruses/flaws/holes are found,
so the cycle is never ending. And because they make some nonsense claim to
be "up-to-date" but never are, the customers can sue for damage, etc, etc.

Enkidu 12-26-2003 10:23 PM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 02:36:05 +1300, Lennier
<notanyspam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:26:59 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> The hard disks are *created* with an image on them. The image does not get
>> copied or ghosted to the disk.

>Well then create them with an updated image!!!!!
>
>I mean, how many persons does it take, and over how many minutes does it
>take to create a drive image in the first place????

Well first you have to download the fix, then you have to test it and
then you have to QA it, I don't think that it's a simple thing to
update a master image and you don't do it overnight. You don't want to
send out machines that reboot all the time or fall over when you open
Explorer or something like that.

And you also snipped out the bit about how long it takes to get from a
disk with the OS on to a computer on your desk.

Cheers,

Cliff

T.N.O. 12-26-2003 10:27 PM

Re: Microsoft's Xmas Message......

Warwick wrote:
> One wonders why the onus of preparing the machine for 'net readiness' does
> not fall onto the vendor.
> They are preinstalling the software anyway, why cant they install the
> patches before sale?

If the vendor is someone like Dell, then they do, to a point, update them.

When I worked in a PC shop, we used to, it wasn't really a problem, do
the latest SP, do the latest IE updates, and then run windowsupdate.com
and see what was left. took about 10 mins from memory.