Velocity Reviews

-   -   Warehouse Stationery PC's (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568999-warehouse-stationery-pcs.html)

C 12-24-2003 03:29 AM

Warehouse Stationery PC's

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
drive? :-)

I was there this morning and didn't notice any cheap PC's (I did
notice that their DVD+RW recorder had gone up in price from $899 to
$999).

Brian Withers 12-24-2003 08:47 AM

Re: Warehouse Stationery PC's

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, Abuse@nospam.com (C) wrote:

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general
>
>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
>drive? :-)
>
>I was there this morning and didn't notice any cheap PC's (I did
>notice that their DVD+RW recorder had gone up in price from $899 to
>$999).

I have been told its a once off, a canceled order.

The DSE one looks far better and the same price.

Craig Shore 12-25-2003 05:16 AM

Re: Warehouse Stationery PC's

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, Abuse@nospam.com (C) wrote:

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general
>
>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
>drive? :-)

What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
will build such an image file for you to burn.

John 12-25-2003 06:12 AM

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, Craig Shore wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, Abuse@nospam.com (C) wrote:
>

>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general
>>
>>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
>>drive? :-)

> What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
> you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
> can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
> will build such an image file for you to burn.

I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
Microsoft Money
Password Agent
Disk Manager
These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
backup to CD.
For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.

Regards
John

ac 12-25-2003 07:16 AM

Re: Warehouse Stationery PC's

In article <25uy29ue1gy6$.1ktdqlqw3wq9z.dlg@40tude.net>,
john@nospam.invalid says...

snip

> I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
> Microsoft Money
> Password Agent
> Disk Manager
> These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
> want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
> hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
> backup to CD.
> For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.
>
> Regards
> John

And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
so much?

Brian Withers 12-25-2003 10:54 AM

Re: Warehouse Stationery PC's

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, craigshore@paradise.net.nz (Craig Shore)
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, Abuse@nospam.com (C) wrote:
>

>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general
>>
>>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
>>drive? :-)

>What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
>you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
>can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
>will build such an image file for you to burn.

Raid drivers for XP has to be loaded from a Floppy.

Plus lost of devices that have firmware updates, and Hard drive diagnostic
tools do..

Any way DSE has a far better System at the same price and with a Floppy
drive..

Brian Withers 12-25-2003 10:58 AM

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:16:25 +1300, ac <A@a.a> wrote:

>In article <25uy29ue1gy6$.1ktdqlqw3wq9z.dlg@40tude.net>,
>john@nospam.invalid says...
>
>snip
>

>> I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
>> Microsoft Money
>> Password Agent
>> Disk Manager
>> These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
>> want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
>> hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
>> backup to CD.
>> For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.
>>
>> Regards
>> John

>And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
>so much?

Yes I have no problems with Floppy disks etc..

And in lots of cases they are needed..

Try and run a IBM Hard Drive Diagnostic or a Seagate one with out one, or
load Raid drivers with XP.

C 12-25-2003 04:24 PM

Re: Warehouse Stationery PC's

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:54:16 +1300, Brian Withers
<bwitheres@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, craigshore@paradise.net.nz (Craig Shore)
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, Abuse@nospam.com (C) wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general
>>>
>>>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
>>>drive? :-)

>>What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
>>you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
>>can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
>>will build such an image file for you to burn.
>>

>Raid drivers for XP has to be loaded from a Floppy.
>
>Plus lost of devices that have firmware updates, and Hard drive diagnostic
>tools do..
>

>Any way DSE has a far better System at the same price and with a Floppy
>drive..

And going back to my original query - what's the specs of the HP
system then if the DSE is far better?

I assume you're refering to the DSE Acer Aspire

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XC5492

Yes it has a floppy! But there's no bundled modem. At least it uses
standard parts so upgrading it isn't a problem.

John 12-25-2003 07:17 PM

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:16:25 +1300, ac wrote:

> In article <25uy29ue1gy6$.1ktdqlqw3wq9z.dlg@40tude.net>,
> john@nospam.invalid says...
>
> snip
>

>> I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
>> Microsoft Money
>> Password Agent
>> Disk Manager
>> These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
>> want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
>> hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
>> backup to CD.
>> For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.
>>
>> Regards
>> John

> And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
> so much?

Just reread my posting, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere
that I stated "I trust floppy disks".

My trust in floppies would be on a par with my trust in re/writeable
CD's and hard drives:-) That's why I always have at least two floppies
for backup on any programmes.

Regards,
John.

Lebowski 12-25-2003 08:27 PM

"C" <Abuse@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:54:16 +1300, Brian Withers
> <bwitheres@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, craigshore@paradise.net.nz (Craig

Shore)
> >wrote:
> >
> >>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, Abuse@nospam.com (C) wrote:
> >>

>>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...thesection=tec

hnology&thesubsection=general

> >>What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
> >>you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
> >>can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
> >>will build such an image file for you to burn.
> >>

> >Raid drivers for XP has to be loaded from a Floppy.
> >
> >Plus lost of devices that have firmware updates, and Hard drive

diagnostic
> >tools do..
> >

> >Any way DSE has a far better System at the same price and with a Floppy
> >drive..

> And going back to my original query - what's the specs of the HP
> system then if the DSE is far better?
>
> I assume you're refering to the DSE Acer Aspire

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XC5492

> Yes it has a floppy! But there's no bundled modem. At least it uses
> standard parts so upgrading it isn't a problem.

Yeah it's weird they haven't put a modem with the deal - they're only 20
bucks, why not just throw one in as people don't buy computers to play
solitaire these days -it's for the wonderment of the internet.

At least it was encouraging to see an AGP slot on this model, unlike that
Dell system in The Warehouse a few weeks back.