Velocity Reviews

-   -   regulator rule against local loop unbundling (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568990-regulator-rule-against-local-loop-unbundling.html)

Chris 12-22-2003 11:58 PM

regulator rule against local loop unbundling

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnews...toryID=3540870

"In an about-face on its earlier draft determination, the Commerce
Commission today said Telecom should not be forced to open its "local loop"
or copper wire network to competitors."

They think telecom should provide wholesale DSL to ISP's

--
Chris

JedMeister 12-23-2003 12:29 AM

Re: regulator rule against local loop unbundling

Not all doom and gloom yet...the last paragraph which is now the key to
price lowering...

....Telecom be required to provide new entrants with a wholesale DSL service
to allow entrants to develop and offer to consumers their own range of
broadband products.

But will this be sufficient, especially if telecom sets the wholesale
prices? The decision will aid Telecom in delaying cheap broadband for years.

T.N.O. 12-23-2003 12:42 AM

JedMeister wrote:
> ...Telecom be required to provide new entrants with a wholesale DSL service
> to allow entrants to develop and offer to consumers their own range of
> broadband products.

you cut the words "and is recommending that" from just before your
quoting starts...

It is only a recommendation, not a necessity.

Looks like those shares I bought in Telecom are a good and safe
investment for a while yet.

JedMeister 12-23-2003 12:55 AM

Re: regulator rule against local loop unbundling

True :)

Warwick 12-23-2003 01:22 AM

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:42:25 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> JedMeister wrote:
>> ...Telecom be required to provide new entrants with a wholesale DSL service
>> to allow entrants to develop and offer to consumers their own range of
>> broadband products.

> you cut the words "and is recommending that" from just before your
> quoting starts...
>
> It is only a recommendation, not a necessity.
>
> Looks like those shares I bought in Telecom are a good and safe
> investment for a while yet.

Looks like the commerce commission have significant funds invested in
Telecom as well if you ask me.
What a ****ing brain dead decision.

cheers
Warwick

Lawrence DčOliveiro 12-23-2003 03:36 AM

Re: regulator rule against local loop unbundling

In article <IyLFb.14155$ws.1414982@news02.tsnz.net>,
Chris <no@noemail.com> wrote:

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnews...toryID=3540870
>
>"In an about-face on its earlier draft determination, the Commerce
>Commission today said Telecom should not be forced to open its "local loop"
>or copper wire network to competitors."
>
>They think telecom should provide wholesale DSL to ISP's

Bugger. I was rather hoping for something like unbundling to drive down
my ADSL bill...

I thought this had been tried successfully in other countries? Why did
the Commerce Commission decide that it would be impractical here?

Bruce Simpson 12-23-2003 05:06 AM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:58:32 GMT, Chris <no@noemail.com> wrote:

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnews...toryID=3540870
>
>"In an about-face on its earlier draft determination, the Commerce
>Commission today said Telecom should not be forced to open its "local loop"
>or copper wire network to competitors."

I've uploaded tomorrow's edition of Aardark half a day early to
comment on this outrageous recommendation on the part of the CC.

Carl Elphick 12-23-2003 07:16 AM

"Bruce Simpson" <checksigformyre@l.address> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:58:32 GMT, Chris <no@noemail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnews...toryID=3540870
> >
> >"In an about-face on its earlier draft determination, the Commerce
> >Commission today said Telecom should not be forced to open its "local

loop"
> >or copper wire network to competitors."

> I've uploaded tomorrow's edition of Aardark half a day early to
> comment on this outrageous recommendation on the part of the CC.

My feeling almost is, I'll vote for whatever political party in the next
election that makes it a policy to unbundle, guess my DSL bill will never
get any cheaper.

Craig Shore 12-23-2003 07:21 AM

Re: regulator rule against local loop unbundling

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:36:49 +1300, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In article <IyLFb.14155$ws.1414982@news02.tsnz.net>,
> Chris <no@noemail.com> wrote:
>
>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnews...toryID=3540870
>>
>>"In an about-face on its earlier draft determination, the Commerce
>>Commission today said Telecom should not be forced to open its "local loop"
>>or copper wire network to competitors."
>>
>>They think telecom should provide wholesale DSL to ISP's

>Bugger. I was rather hoping for something like unbundling to drive down
>my ADSL bill...

Driving up the speed and monthly data allowance would be better than
driving down the price.

Matthew Poole 12-23-2003 10:00 AM

In article <cZRFb.14185$ws.1418414@news02.tsnz.net>, "Carl Elphick" <no@spamming.net> wrote:

>"Bruce Simpson" <checksigformyre@l.address> wrote in message
>news:3ajfuv4nvdvnlgqrg5n3moa7gvkai0nfd4@4ax.com.. .

*SNIP*
>My feeling almost is, I'll vote for whatever political party in the next
>election that makes it a policy to unbundle, guess my DSL bill will never
>get any cheaper.

You're kinda ****ed then. National won't, because their IT spokesman is
clueless and seems to have his head firmly in Telescum's collective
rectum. Plus Government intervention, even when it's in the absolute
best interests of the country, isn't their thing.
Labour looked like they actually had a spine, but like every other
political party when it comes to real action they're all talk.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet