Velocity Reviews

-   -   Way off topic... question on states of a metal (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568976-way-off-topic-question-on-states-of-a-metal.html)

T.N.O. 12-21-2003 10:15 AM

Way off topic... question on states of a metal

Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)

So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
temp?

forensic analysis 12-21-2003 10:41 AM

Re: Way off topic... question on states of a metal

"T.N.O." <dave@no.spiced.ham.here.please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message
> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>
> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
> temp?

For a sorted list of pure elemental melting and boiling points, try
http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=BP

Steel? An alloy, so it depends on the various component metals, but is
usually around 2500F (1370C)

Brendan 12-21-2003 01:28 PM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:15:26 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>
> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
> temp?

Steal is not a metal.

Steel however does vapourise at about 1400C. Other metals - like aluminium
and lead - much lower.

Breathing in vapourised steel can is good for clearing head colds.

--

.... Brendan

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not
otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

T.N.O. 12-21-2003 07:29 PM

forensic analysis wrote:
> For a sorted list of pure elemental melting and boiling points, try
> http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=BP

Thanks for the link. reading it now.

> Steel? An alloy, so it depends on the various component metals, but is
> usually around 2500F (1370C)

ok, hows about alumin(i)um or some other metals?
The site lists boiling and melting temps, but doesnt really say about a
gaseous state.

-[Myth]- 12-21-2003 07:53 PM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:41:19 +1300, forensic analysis wrote:

> "T.N.O." <dave@no.spiced.ham.here.please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message
>> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
>> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>>
>> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
>> temp?

> For a sorted list of pure elemental melting and boiling points, try
> http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=BP
>
> Steel? An alloy, so it depends on the various component metals, but is
> usually around 2500F (1370C)

That is the melting point, not the boiling point. Pure iron will boil at
3000C, but am not sure about steel.

Jerry 12-21-2003 08:55 PM

Re: Way off topic... question on states of a metal

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:28:24 +1300, Brendan
<corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:15:26 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>
>> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
>> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>>
>> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
>> temp?

>Steal is not a metal.
>
>Steel however does vapourise at about 1400C. Other metals - like aluminium
>and lead - much lower.
>
>Breathing in vapourised steel can is good for clearing head colds.

Don't go swimming after you do it though, you will sink like a stone

Jerry

T.N.O. 12-21-2003 09:42 PM

forensic analysis wrote:
>>The site lists boiling and melting temps, but doesnt really say about a
>>gaseous state.

> Melting Point = Transitional state of an element from solid to liquid
> Boiling Point = Transitional state of an element from liquid to gas
> Hence Boiling Point temperature provides an indication to conversion to
> gaseous state. ie water 100C

heh, good point... interesting really, I never thought of these things
being a gas before, and it kinda occured to me when I was in a drunken
stupor.

> The temperature provided above for Steel is an indicative melting point only
> ie solid to liquid, as there are many different alloy variants derived from
> an iron base. By heating steel from a liquid state a range of component
> elements will progressively evaporate until a residue is left, which would
> likely be carbon with a Boiling Point of 4827C.

Interesting... so the bonding would break down with the heat then... and
you would get a more pure metal(well, more pure "what ever the hell is
the highest boiling" substance in it).

> Aluminium is listed on the page - 660C for liquid (MP) and 2467 for gas (BP)
> Click on the "Name" column if you wish to view in alphabetical order, rather
> than by Boiling Point temperature.

Thanks, very helpful.

forensic analysis 12-21-2003 09:46 PM

AD. 12-21-2003 10:37 PM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:42:04 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

>> The temperature provided above for Steel is an indicative melting point
>> only ie solid to liquid, as there are many different alloy variants
>> derived from an iron base. By heating steel from a liquid state a range
>> of component elements will progressively evaporate until a residue is
>> left, which would likely be carbon with a Boiling Point of 4827C.

> Interesting... so the bonding would break down with the heat then... and
> you would get a more pure metal(well, more pure "what ever the hell is the
> highest boiling" substance in it).

Sounds like distillation. Compounds don't usually chemically break down
when they evaporate - eg Water, Ethanol etc.

I think (I don't actually know) the reason steel would break down as
mentioned is that the carbon and iron etc aren't chemically bonded
together - just mixed in together. This would presumably be the same for
other alloys too.

Cheers
Anton

Brendan 12-22-2003 12:39 AM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:55:52 +1300, Jerry wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:28:24 +1300, Brendan
> <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:15:26 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
>>> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>>>
>>> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
>>> temp?

>>Steal is not a metal.
>>
>>Steel however does vapourise at about 1400C. Other metals - like aluminium
>>and lead - much lower.

Opps, that's the boiling point.

>>Breathing in vapourised steel can is good for clearing head colds.

> Don't go swimming after you do it though, you will sink like a stone

Whine whine ;)

--

.... Brendan

communist, n: A person who questions the doctrine that the USA
are God's chosen people, the Corporation is the One True Church, and that
ownership of all human and natural resources (and copyrights/patents on
all possible forms of human expression) throughout the world should by
divine right be owned by US Corporations.