Velocity Reviews

-   -   Installing WinXP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568967-installing-winxp.html)

steve 12-20-2003 06:05 AM

Installing WinXP

OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)

This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).

I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
mistake, too.....

So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:

sapi.dl_
filelist.xm_
rstrui.dl_
srframe.mm_
srdiag.ex_
airplane.bm_

......and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
setup.

The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.

I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

Dumdedo 12-20-2003 06:37 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:05:32 +1300, steve <steve@whoknowswut.org> wrote:

>OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
>I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
>dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
>
>This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
>instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
>
>I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
>mistake, too.....
>
>So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
>Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
>
>sapi.dl_
>filelist.xm_
>rstrui.dl_
>srframe.mm_
>srdiag.ex_
>airplane.bm_
>
>.....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
>setup.
>
>The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
>to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
>
>I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

May be your CD Rom drive is on its last legs, do you smoke, ? have you cleaned
the Laser Lens, you can use one of those cleaning disks as a last result, only
helps to remove dust , not Nicotine..

PseUDO 12-20-2003 06:42 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

"steve" <steve@whoknowswut.org> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.12.20.06.05.32.458334@whoknowswut.or g...
> OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
> I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
> dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
>
> This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
> instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
>
> I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
> mistake, too.....
>
> So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
> Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
>
> sapi.dl_
> filelist.xm_
> rstrui.dl_
> srframe.mm_
> srdiag.ex_
> airplane.bm_
>
> .....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
> setup.
>
> The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
> to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
>
> I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??

PseUDO

Enkidu 12-20-2003 06:55 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

wrote:

>OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
>I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
>dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
>
>This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
>instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
>
>I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
>mistake, too.....
>
>So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
>Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
>
>sapi.dl_
>filelist.xm_
>rstrui.dl_
>srframe.mm_
>srdiag.ex_
>airplane.bm_
>
>.....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
>setup.
>
>The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
>to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
>
>I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

steve 12-20-2003 07:30 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

> You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
>
> PseUDO

No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".

:-)

steve 12-20-2003 07:31 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:37:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

> May be your CD Rom drive is on its last legs, do you smoke, ? have you cleaned
> the Laser Lens, you can use one of those cleaning disks as a last result, only
> helps to remove dust , not Nicotine..

No smoking at my house......and the drive is one of my newest.

It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem. Maybe i should try a straight
CD-ROM drive.

I've installed several Linux distros on this drive and never had any
trouble.

steve 12-20-2003 07:38 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
> last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
> user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.

The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads and
loads of 'bad clusters'........

Looks like a format / re-install when this is all over.

......and people claim installing Windows is easy. HAR!!!

Gentoo or Debian was easier than this - despite the detail work in the
former and the nvidia and other gaps in the latter.. At least they
work.

The system is an Abit N7S mobo with an AMD 2200+ CPU and 512MB of 266MHz
DDR RAM.

HD is a 60GB Maxtor - single FAT32 partition
Plus a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive.

DUser 12-20-2003 07:43 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:30:06 +1300, steve wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, PseUDO wrote:
>
>> You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
>>
>> PseUDO

> No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".
>
> :-)

Do it from scratch with NTFS, it all works better that way.

DUser 12-20-2003 07:54 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:38:31 +1300, steve wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
>> last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
>> user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
> longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.
>
> The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
> doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads and
> loads of 'bad clusters'........
>
> Looks like a format / re-install when this is all over.
>
> .....and people claim installing Windows is easy. HAR!!!
>
> Gentoo or Debian was easier than this - despite the detail work in the
> former and the nvidia and other gaps in the latter.. At least they
> work.
>
> The system is an Abit N7S mobo with an AMD 2200+ CPU and 512MB of 266MHz
> DDR RAM.
>
> HD is a 60GB Maxtor - single FAT32 partition
> Plus a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive.

Be fair
Your linux installs included a fresh format on the preferred file system.
The CD is a moulded piece of polycarbonate, not a dye layer so iy is
unlikely to have deteriorated with age. I have installed XP many times
from the most basic CDRs with no problems whatsoever.

PseUDO 12-20-2003 08:27 AM

Re: Installing WinXP

"steve" <steve@whoknowswut.org> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.12.20.07.30.06.531770@whoknowswut.or g...
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, PseUDO wrote:
>
> > You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
> >
> > PseUDO

> No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".
>
> :-)

Why not just do a format then install XP on a clean hard drive, 99% of
problems are due to installing windows on top of windows!

PseUDO