Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows Time service (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568895-windows-time-service.html)

Matthew Strickland 12-14-2003 08:42 PM

Windows Time service

Hi all,

With 2 domain controllers (w2k), one with all the fsmo roles (called dc1),
does this machine need the windows time service running for the second
domain controller (dc2) to sync time with it?
The service is currently disabled as it cannot sync from an external time
source (firewall restrictions I think) - I can set time manually on dc2
using net time command.

Should I just enable the time service on dc1 and ignore ntp/no time server
logs? (Ive tried several time servers, im sure its our firewall blocking
it - even tho udp 123 was open.)

Im using a 3rd party app, Atomic clock to sync DC1 to the net - works a
treat.

T-Boy 12-14-2003 09:51 PM

Re: Windows Time service

In article <uW3Db.29256$VV6.674185@news.xtra.co.nz>,
noname@noaddress.somewhere.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> With 2 domain controllers (w2k), one with all the fsmo roles (called dc1),
> does this machine need the windows time service running for the second
> domain controller (dc2) to sync time with it?

I think it can sync just like a workstation...
net time /set \\dc2

Trouble is, you'd normally run that in a logon script - so it may be
that your dc1 machine isn't logged on that often, and therefore wouldn't
sync often.

> The service is currently disabled as it cannot sync from an external time
> source (firewall restrictions I think) - I can set time manually on dc2
> using net time command.
>
> Should I just enable the time service on dc1 and ignore ntp/no time server
> logs? (Ive tried several time servers, im sure its our firewall blocking
> it - even tho udp 123 was open.)
>
> Im using a 3rd party app, Atomic clock to sync DC1 to the net - works a
> treat.

Well I think you should learn and use the net time command to do the
syncing, you might get dc1 setup then.
This info might help, I logged these pages and info when documenting a
client setup...

and (from eventid.net)
The NTP server didn't respond...

w32time
Type Warning
Description The NTP server did not respond
Comments Ionut Marin (Last update 10/16/2003):
See Q323621 for information about how to configure the Simple Network
Time Protocol (SNTP) on ISA Server.

Genevieve
If your DC is behind a ISA server see ISA Server Forum link for
solution.

Chris Patten
My server was behind a firewall and opening outbound port 123 for ntp
solved the problem.

Paul Rinear
By default, the event log only records unsuccessful w32time events, not
successful ones. Follow the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base
article Q307937 to turn on sucessful time set event logging. What you
will notice after you do this is that your PDC w32time is actually
successful more times than not at synchronizing with the external
server. The situations where it is not successful probably occur due to
slow remote server response.

Adrian Grigorof
This event usually occurs when there is not NTP (Network Time Protocol)
server configured in the network. To see the currently configured time
server use the following command:

net time /querysntp

If there is a time server configured, then there may be a firewall that
stops the server reporting the error from conencting to the NTP server.

Andreas Kriwanek
I found this event on a new W2K Advanced Server which I set up as a root
domain controller of a new forest. I tried several internet time
servers, but I always got the same warning. I found two articles at
microsoft: Q224799 (Basic Operation of the Windows Time Service) and
Q216734 (How to configure an Authoritative Wwindows Time Server.
I don't need a synchronisation with an external server, so I made two
changes at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Par ameters:

new value "ReliableTimeSource, REG_SZ,1" and
alter value in "Type, REG_SZ, NoSync"

and the warning disappears in the event log. I know, it's only a
workaround.

Bareface
On some special cases, (if you host AD on computer paired with DNS) you
may experience this error. It may be that the DNS service is not started
at that time. This behaviour only occures when you specify a DNS name
for net time /setsntp

--
Duncan

Matthew Strickland 12-14-2003 10:28 PM

Re: Windows Time service

Thanks T-Boy,

I do have a logon script, but you're right, dc2 isnt logged on at all. (Its
a server, sitting lonely in a room by itself ) - However I *thought*
servers, in active directory would have sync'd naturally? Just like AD does.
It is in mixed-mode because there is also a 3rd server running (NT), but
wouldnt have thought it would affect time sync between DC's.

Ive been at that first page before and ive done those steps, no luck. Its
just this firewall im sure. Its managed by telecom and I cant change or even
view how its configured (in detail). Ive added an outbound udp 123 port (I
shouldnt have to) but still didnt work.
Ill have another few more go's getting it synced otherwise ill look at other
options. (eg an AT command to sync time on dc2....)

Enkidu 12-15-2003 06:25 AM

Re: Windows Time service

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:42:02 +1300, "Matthew Strickland"
<noname@noaddress.somewhere.com> wrote:

>With 2 domain controllers (w2k), one with all the fsmo roles (called dc1),
>does this machine need the windows time service running for the second
>domain controller (dc2) to sync time with it?
>The service is currently disabled as it cannot sync from an external time
>source (firewall restrictions I think) - I can set time manually on dc2
>using net time command.
>
>Should I just enable the time service on dc1 and ignore ntp/no time server
>logs? (Ive tried several time servers, im sure its our firewall blocking
>it - even tho udp 123 was open.)
>
>Im using a 3rd party app, Atomic clock to sync DC1 to the net - works a
>treat.

Hi Matthew. I'm not 100% sure, but as you say the DC with PDC Emulator
role does act as the time server for the Domain. It still will be
after going to native mode. I'm not sure if Windows uses the standard
NTP port, but you could use something like SuperScan to scan it to see
if it is listening on some port or other that SuperScan thinks is a
time server port.

My guess is that the service needs to be running.

This might be useful:

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Mr Scebe 12-15-2003 09:31 AM

Re: Windows Time service

"Matthew Strickland" <noname@noaddress.somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Thanks T-Boy,
>
> I do have a logon script, but you're right, dc2 isnt logged on at all.

(Its
> a server, sitting lonely in a room by itself ) - However I *thought*
> servers, in active directory would have sync'd naturally? Just like AD

does.

It does. If you enable the Win32Time service on DC2 you should begin to
receive time updates from DC1 (assuming time service is running on DC1). Try
typing net time at the command line on DC2 and if it's set properly you
should get a reply saying "Current time at \\DC1 is xxx:xx:"

Further info:

Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.
Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Martin Hunt 12-16-2003 01:16 AM

Re: Windows Time service

BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

---
Martin Hunt
Systems Administrator
Fairfax New Zealand Limited
Wellington
New Zealand

T.N.O. 12-16-2003 01:23 AM

Re: Windows Time service

Martin Hunt wrote:

> BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
> They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
will turn up.

Martin Hunt 12-17-2003 10:42 PM

Re: Windows Time service

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:23:30 +1300, "T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote:

>Martin Hunt wrote:
>
>> BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
>> They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

>This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
>from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
>will turn up.

There was discussion about Waikato going off-air a few months ago, but
I didn't realise Massey was going off, too.

At this rate we will run out of ntp servers soon.

---

Martin Hunt 12-17-2003 10:45 PM

Re: Windows Time service

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:42:24 +1300, Martin Hunt
<martin.hunt@fairfaxnz.REMOVE.co.nz> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:23:30 +1300, "T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote:
>
>>Martin Hunt wrote:
>>
>>> BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
>>> They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

>>This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
>>from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
>>will turn up.

>There was discussion about Waikato going off-air a few months ago, but
>I didn't realise Massey was going off, too.
>
>At this rate we will run out of ntp servers soon.

Actually, it seems to have come back again, after about a week off
air.

---

Shannon 12-18-2003 12:29 AM

Re: Windows Time service

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:45:24 +1300, Martin Hunt
<martin.hunt@fairfaxnz.REMOVE.co.nz> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:42:24 +1300, Martin Hunt
><martin.hunt@fairfaxnz.REMOVE.co.nz> wrote:

>>>This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
>>>from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
>>>will turn up.

>>There was discussion about Waikato going off-air a few months ago, but
>>I didn't realise Massey was going off, too.
>>
>>At this rate we will run out of ntp servers soon.
>>

>Actually, it seems to have come back again, after about a week off
>air.

I checked the logs in our proxy and it's still sucessfully syncing, so
it seems to be there at the moment. (9:51 am this morning)

And in fact, the logs don't show an obivious ntp.massy.ac.nz
dissappearing in the last few months.

Many ISP's provide NTP though - I just wish ours did, and I wish there
was a consistent name among ISP's. (Our ISP used to.)