Velocity Reviews

-   -   First game to be banned in NZ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568869-first-game-to-be-banned-in-nz.html)

Jackson 12-12-2003 03:34 AM

First game to be banned in NZ

A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
New Zealand.

Jackson.

T.N.O. 12-12-2003 03:46 AM

Re: First game to be banned in NZ

Jackson wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
> New Zealand.

Normally Im against this sort of thing, but from their(Stuff)
description, and what I have read online about the game, it isn't a
great loss...

Infact, Im kinda pleased.

Chris Wilkinson 12-12-2003 03:52 AM

Re: First game to be banned in NZ

Hi there,

Jackson wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
> New Zealand.

Only from America...

Its ironic that censors can judge a videogame to be injurious to the
public good, but not censor general news about Iraq or any other place
currently in a state of conflict. In those places you see the brutal
reality of war, and the result of too many old men trying to force
their protocol down the throats of those whom they claim to lead...

Sound like a crap game anyway...

--
Kind regards,

Lebowski 12-12-2003 04:14 AM

"Jackson" <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
> New Zealand.
>
> Jackson.

Postal 2 was a great game - and retailers refused to import that game due to
"ratings issues". These games just aren't about sick violence, the emphasis
is on politically-incorrect humour. Like South Park, Itchy and Scratchy,
Family Guy....poking fun at stereotypes and the ills in society. Mind you, I
don't know anything about the Manhunt game but Postal 2 was bloody
brilliant.

Gordon 12-12-2003 04:39 AM

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:34:03 +1300, Jackson wrote:

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
> New Zealand.

And so and underworld is created. ;-(

Craig Shore 12-12-2003 05:27 AM

Re: First game to be banned in NZ

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:39:13 +1300, "Gordon" <flash130@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:34:03 +1300, Jackson wrote:
>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>>
>> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
>> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
>> New Zealand.

>And so and underworld is created. ;-(

It's 2000mb to download it. You'd have to really want it to use up
that much of your monthly bandwidth on it.

samg 12-12-2003 06:03 AM

Re: First game to be banned in NZ

"Jackson" <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in
> sight in ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to
> be banned in New Zealand.
>
> Jackson.

Its a game designed specifically for adults so a ban is overkill. Youd see
much worse in your average horror film.

Richard Malcolm-Smith 12-12-2003 06:48 AM

Jackson wrote:

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
> New Zealand.
>
> Jackson.

Never heard of it before. Guess I will have to get a copy just so I have a copy
of it ;)

XPD 12-12-2003 10:24 AM

Re: First game to be banned in NZ

"Jackson" <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
> New Zealand.
>
> Jackson.

It will now be the most sought after game in NZ. You announce very publicly
that a game is going to be banned, you just make it even more sought after.
Postal 2 never arrived in NZ really due to its questionable gameplay.... did
anyone really care ? Nope. Why ? Cause noone knew about it. (apart from the
hardcore gamesplayers)

Manhunt is aimed at an adult audience, if youre an adult, you just dont buy
it for your kids or for yourself if you dont like that sort of game.
Has anyone forced you to go watch the movie Bad Taste ? No. Does anyone
force you to play violent games ? No.

Theres more violence and sex on TV than in games these days..... so dont
believe the usual "games incite violence in our kids", its more likely them
watching movies that causes it because movies are a bit more realistic than
games for now. (Visually)

Its your decision and free will that dictates what youll buy/do.....
obviously free will means nothing to NZ govt bodies anymore, we'll only buy
what they tell us we can buy.

my rant over... not aimed at anyone in particular, just my opinion :)

PseUDO 12-12-2003 05:07 PM

Re: First game to be banned in NZ

"Jackson" <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
>
> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
> New Zealand.
>
> Jackson.

It can still be ordered from gameplanets aussie store $89.95 au
http://www.gpstore.com.au/product.x?1457906

PseUDO