Velocity Reviews

-   -   Telecom Techs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568693-telecom-techs.html)

Frederick 11-29-2003 03:45 AM

Telecom Techs

Hi, can someone explain to me when I log into telecom to view my account/s
why do the techs there who seem to have portable IP addresses do port scans
? I am I doing something illegal or are they invading my computer.?

A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
logged into the following ports

I traced the IP address and came up with the owner ( telecom tech ), it
showed a phone number which I rang but no reply. So emailed him and it
bounced.

not my real name nor email addie. so dont try to reply to me personally

Fred

Jason M 11-29-2003 04:00 AM

Re: Telecom Techs

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:45:12 +1300, "Frederick"
<fred@replytogrouponly.com> wrote:

>Hi, can someone explain to me when I log into telecom to view my account/s
>why do the techs there who seem to have portable IP addresses do port scans
>? I am I doing something illegal or are they invading my computer.?

It seems to be normal these days to get several ports scans per minute
from other people using your ISP. I get them from ihug customers all
the time. They probably all have some kind of virus.

>A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
>logged into the following ports

It looks like just one of the Telecom range:

OrgName: Telecom Corporation of New Zealand Limited
NetRange: 146.171.0.0 - 146.171.255.255

Frederick 11-29-2003 04:04 AM

Re: Telecom Techs

"Frederick" <fred@replytogrouponly.com> wrote in message
> Hi, can someone explain to me when I log into telecom to view my account/s
> why do the techs there who seem to have portable IP addresses do port

scans
> ? I am I doing something illegal or are they invading my computer.?
>
> A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
> logged into the following ports
> 1856
> 1857
> 1858
> 1859
> 1860
> 1861
> 1862
> 1863
> 1864
> 1865
> 1866
> 1867
> 1868
> 1869
> 1870
>
> I traced the IP address and came up with the owner ( telecom tech ), it
> showed a phone number which I rang but no reply. So emailed him and it
> bounced.
>
> not my real name nor email addie. so dont try to reply to me personally
>
> Fred

Interesting, the IP addie was assigned on thurs night at 7 pm. Inputing the
IP directly into a web browser I have had 3 diff telecom pages come up. 1st
Yabba and then the Telecom home page and now Log in page.

I give up, must be paranioa setting in...

If anyone one can explain a logical explantion it would be most welcome.

Paraniod Fred

Richard Malcolm-Smith 11-29-2003 05:57 AM

Re: Telecom Techs

Frederick wrote:

> A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
> logged into the following ports
> 1856
> 1857
> 1858
> 1859
> 1860
> 1861
> 1862
> 1863
> 1864
> 1865
> 1866
> 1867
> 1868
> 1869
> 1870

Those are sequential, they will be your PCs source ports when connecting to
whatever is on that IP address, maybe a webserver or something usefull like that?

Frederick 11-29-2003 05:13 PM

Re: Telecom Techs

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Frederick wrote:
>
> > A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
> > logged into the following ports
> > 1856
> > 1857
> > 1858
> > 1859
> > 1860
> > 1861
> > 1862
> > 1863
> > 1864
> > 1865
> > 1866
> > 1867
> > 1868
> > 1869
> > 1870

> Those are sequential, they will be your PCs source ports when connecting

> whatever is on that IP address, maybe a webserver or something usefull

like that?

Hi Paranoid Freddie again, can someone explain this from my netstat display

TCP #########::ingreslock 146.171.18.242:80 ESTABLISHED

Fred

T.N.O. 11-29-2003 07:40 PM

Re: Telecom Techs

Frederick wrote:
> Hi Paranoid Freddie again, can someone explain this from my netstat display
> TCP #########::ingreslock 146.171.18.242:80 ESTABLISHED

You are connected to 146.171.18.242 on port 80... http, as in web surfing.

the IP appears to belong to Telecom.

Rudy Seoa 11-29-2003 08:57 PM

Re: Telecom Techs

In article <3fc8f4f1@news.iconz.co.nz>,
dave@no.spiced.ham.here.please.dave.net.nz says...
> Frederick wrote:
> > Hi Paranoid Freddie again, can someone explain this from my netstat display
> > TCP #########::ingreslock 146.171.18.242:80 ESTABLISHED

> You are connected to 146.171.18.242 on port 80... http, as in web surfing.
>
> the IP appears to belong to Telecom.
>

>host www.telecom.co.nz

looking up host www.telecom.co.nz...

host name : www.telecom.co.nz
address : 146.171.18.242

The OP should read one of the many tcp/ip tutorials that are available.