Velocity Reviews

-   -   spam increasing? <rant></rant> (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568525-spam-increasing-rant-rant.html)

T.N.O. 11-19-2003 09:33 AM

spam increasing? <rant></rant>

<rant>
I seem to be getting about 5 spams to every real mail at the moment.
Are they pushing for Xmas?
Do people get more, or think they should get more Sex at Xmas; Or do
they just perform worse?

Not only that, but they seem to be smarter now too, maybe running their
emails through spam filters themselves first, so that it gets through
them. Until last week, I had had 0(zero) false negatives, and 5(five)
false positives(they were particuly spammy looking emails, added sender
to whitelist and sorted that out), but this week I have had 23 false
negatives so far... 20 ****ing 3.

</rant>

whoisthis 11-19-2003 06:54 PM

Re: spam increasing? <rant></rant>

In article <3fbb37de$1@news.iconz.co.nz>,
"T.N.O." <news@no.spiced.ham.here.please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

> <rant>
> I seem to be getting about 5 spams to every real mail at the moment.
> Are they pushing for Xmas?
> Do people get more, or think they should get more Sex at Xmas; Or do
> they just perform worse?
>
> Not only that, but they seem to be smarter now too, maybe running their
> emails through spam filters themselves first, so that it gets through
> them. Until last week, I had had 0(zero) false negatives, and 5(five)
> false positives(they were particuly spammy looking emails, added sender
> to whitelist and sorted that out), but this week I have had 23 false
> negatives so far... 20 ****ing 3.
>
> </rant>

I have gone entirely to a white list. It is 100% effective at stopping
spam. I also have a hotmail address where anyone can contact me and from
there I let people know my REAL email address and add their address to
my whitelist.

Howard 11-19-2003 07:19 PM

Re: spam increasing? <rant></rant>

Xtra's antispam seems to be working well.

From a sample of one day(80spams) only one false negative and no false
positive. Brightmail claim a false positive of "1 in amillion" so here's
hoping...

steve 11-19-2003 10:06 PM

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> <rant>
> I seem to be getting about 5 spams to every real mail at the moment.
> Are they pushing for Xmas?

Seems like it.....the number of REJECTs in my mail server's 'maillog' is
double the usual. Thank goodness I don't see the stuff.

> Not only that, but they seem to be smarter now too, maybe running their
> emails through spam filters themselves first, so that it gets through
> them. Until last week, I had had 0(zero) false negatives, and 5(five)
> false positives(they were particuly spammy looking emails, added sender
> to whitelist and sorted that out), but this week I have had 23 false
> negatives so far... 20 ****ing 3.

I still just block IPs and mail domains and I'm seeing just a few get
through each day. No more than 4 on any day for the past week (judging by
the list of not-yet-undeleted stuff in my "Ttrash" folder. Evolution 1.2.2
won't let me send ths stuff directly to Trash..so it goes to
"Ttrash"....and then I delete it.

I only update the spam reject list once / week these days. If i did it more
often and right away, I might be able to reduce the daily total to 1 or
two....but I tend not to add a domain if i have the feeling i won't see it
again. There is little point and it just means more processing. The
marginal advantage isn't there. But if i see second one, then I do block
it.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Craig Sutton 11-20-2003 02:23 AM

"Howard" <howhard1309@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Xtra's antispam seems to be working well.
>
> From a sample of one day(80spams) only one false negative and no false
> positive. Brightmail claim a false positive of "1 in amillion" so here's
> hoping...

On ihugs, on level 2 of their spam blocker.

140 blocked yesterday, and just the 26 got through.

madknoxie 11-20-2003 11:27 AM

Re: spam increasing? <rant></rant>

In article <who-B296E3.07540720112003@news.xtra.co.nz>,
whoisthis <who@am.i.spammer> wrote:

> I have gone entirely to a white list. It is 100% effective at stopping
> spam. I also have a hotmail address where anyone can contact me and from
> there I let people know my REAL email address and add their address to
> my whitelist.

Do you find it quite labour intensive to keep/use a white list?

--
madknoxie

whoisthis 11-20-2003 07:04 PM

Re: spam increasing? <rant></rant>

In article <madknoxie-8DDEFD.00273721112003@news.orcon.net.nz>,
madknoxie <madknoxie@NOSPICEDHAM.ivision.net.nz> wrote:

> In article <who-B296E3.07540720112003@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> whoisthis <who@am.i.spammer> wrote:
>
> > I have gone entirely to a white list. It is 100% effective at stopping
> > spam. I also have a hotmail address where anyone can contact me and from
> > there I let people know my REAL email address and add their address to
> > my whitelist.

> Do you find it quite labour intensive to keep/use a white list?

No.
Everyone is simply given the hotmail address first, and if they checkout
then it is a simple email to them to give them my real email address.
Hotmail seems to be OK for spam deletion so I do not have much to
manually delete/block. I only need to add a person every 3-4 weeks as
for most people it is simply a first/single contact and they do not need
any other address than the hotmail one. If the spam gets too high I will
just abandon that hotmail address and set up a new one.

madknoxie 11-20-2003 10:37 PM

T.N.O. wrote:
> <rant>
> I seem to be getting about 5 spams to every real mail at the moment.
> Are they pushing for Xmas?
> Do people get more, or think they should get more Sex at Xmas; Or do
> they just perform worse?
>
> Not only that, but they seem to be smarter now too, maybe running their
> emails through spam filters themselves first, so that it gets through
> them. Until last week, I had had 0(zero) false negatives, and 5(five)
> false positives(they were particuly spammy looking emails, added sender
> to whitelist and sorted that out), but this week I have had 23 false
> negatives so far... 20 ****ing 3.
>
> </rant>

Well, I was lucky enough last night to get just under 15,000 spams in my
mailbox. Yay...

--
madknoxie

madknoxie 11-21-2003 12:37 AM

madknoxie wrote:

> Well, I was lucky enough last night to get just under 15,000 spams in my
> mailbox. Yay...

Just received another 2000 to bring the total to just under 17,000 spams.

--
madknoxie

T.N.O. 11-21-2003 09:57 AM

madknoxie wrote:
> Well, I was lucky enough last night to get just under 15,000 spams in my
> mailbox. Yay...

jo-job?