Velocity Reviews

-   -   MS screwed? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568476-ms-screwed.html)

Gordon 11-15-2003 03:30 AM

Re: MS screwed?

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:40:29 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> "If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
> removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
> would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
> how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
> when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.

Wrong word, wouldn't not couldn't.

T.N.O. 11-15-2003 03:40 AM

MS screwed?

"Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684

Taken from the middle(towards the end) of the article.

"If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.

I don't see Microsoft committing antitrust suicide, as it would open a
string of lawsuits alleging perjury. So if the EU wins its case and
demands the removal of Media Player, and the software giant says it
can't do so because it would break Windows, could such an action cause
the EC to ban the Windows desktop from Europe?

If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all dilemmas.
On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the other a possible
European ban, which would put the Open Source desktop on a fast track to
rapid and widespread use."

T.N.O. 11-15-2003 04:38 AM

Re: MS screwed?

Gordon wrote:
>>"If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
>>removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
>>would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
>>how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
>>when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.

> Wrong word, wouldn't not couldn't.

Well maybe yuo should email the writer/reporter of the article and the
editor and correct them... :)

Max Burke 11-15-2003 04:58 AM

Re: MS screwed?

> T.N.O. scribbled:

> "Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684

snip....

> If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all
> dilemmas. On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the
> other a possible European ban, which would put the Open Source
> desktop on a fast track to rapid and widespread use."

Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

How much would it cost the EU to have removed Windows from EU businesses,
Governments, personal, etc and replace it with OSS/*nix?
What about private/personal/consumer use? Make it a crime to have in your
possesion? (on any computer)
But hey I quite believ that the EU 'government is quite capable of
legalising such a ban, given that they've made really, really stupid
decisions like that about products and services in the past.....

I'd be all in favor of legislation that mandates Open Standards where
applicable, and requires government bodies to seriously consider Open Source
alternatives. But what we're getting is attempts to *require* use of Open
Source software - effectively criminalizing an official's decision to buy
commercial software to meet their needs. First in Peru, and now here. And at
LinuxWorld it is apparently being preached and accepted as part of the
"party doctrine."
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/wlg/1840

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

steve 11-15-2003 09:11 AM

Re: MS screwed?

Max Burke allegedly said:

> Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

No....MS would withdraw it....or risk being done for perjury in other cases
if they comply by doing something they allegedly said they couldn't do.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Patrick Bold 11-15-2003 03:47 PM

Re: MS screwed?

"steve" <steve@wenowut.org> wrote in message
> Max Burke allegedly said:
>

> > Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

> No....MS would withdraw it....or risk being done for perjury in other

cases
> if they comply by doing something they allegedly said they couldn't

do.

Or...hmm, let's see...MS makes a deal. The EU gets to look tough by
extracting a fine of some sort, and MS gets to continue doing business
as usual. Now, which do you think is the more likely outcome?

techie 11-15-2003 05:04 PM

Re: MS screwed?

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:40:29 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:

> "Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684
>

> Taken from the middle(towards the end) of the article.
>

> "If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
> removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
> would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
> how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
> when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.
>
> I don't see Microsoft committing antitrust suicide, as it would open a
> string of lawsuits alleging perjury. So if the EU wins its case and
> demands the removal of Media Player, and the software giant says it
> can't do so because it would break Windows, could such an action cause
> the EC to ban the Windows desktop from Europe?
>
> If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all dilemmas.
> On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the other a possible
> European ban, which would put the Open Source desktop on a fast track to
> rapid and widespread use."

Just to further complicate Microsoft's life:

<http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=382438 5&section=news>

"BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Microsoft rival has used
show-and-tell to make its point that the software giant
need not cripple its popular Windows operating system to
comply with EU regulators' demands, a source familiar
with the case has said."

"...RealNetworks demonstrated a version of a product
known as "Windows XP Embedded" to show the operating
system could work well without Windows Media Player, a
source familiar with the case said."

"The product seemed to work fine to many of those sitting
in the hearing room, the source said."

steve 11-16-2003 08:28 AM

Re: MS screwed?

Patrick Bold allegedly said:

> "steve" <steve@wenowut.org> wrote in message
>> Max Burke allegedly said:
>>

>> > Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

>> No....MS would withdraw it....or risk being done for perjury in other

> cases
>> if they comply by doing something they allegedly said they couldn't

> do.
>>

> Or...hmm, let's see...MS makes a deal. The EU gets to look tough by
> extracting a fine of some sort, and MS gets to continue doing business
> as usual. Now, which do you think is the more likely outcome?

I don't care... :-)

I was explaining the previous post to Max. He didn't understand the point it
was making.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Chris Wilkinson 11-17-2003 03:33 AM

Re: MS screwed?

Hi there,

techie wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:40:29 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:
>

>>"Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684
>>

> Just to further complicate Microsoft's life:
>
> <http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=382438 5&section=news>
>
> "BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Microsoft rival has used
> show-and-tell to make its point that the software giant
> need not cripple its popular Windows operating system to
> comply with EU regulators' demands, a source familiar
> with the case has said."
>
> "...RealNetworks demonstrated a version of a product
> known as "Windows XP Embedded" to show the operating
> system could work well without Windows Media Player, a
> source familiar with the case said."
>
> "The product seemed to work fine to many of those sitting
> in the hearing room, the source said."

How about removing Windows OS altogether, but leaving the Windows Media
DLL's there. That way Xine and Mplayer can still use those to playback
DRM free WMV and WMA under Linux...

--
Kind regards,

Steven H 11-18-2003 02:54 AM

Re: MS screwed?

In article <pan.2003.11.15.17.04.52.49960.997@nospam.invalid> ,
none@nospam.invalid says...
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:40:29 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:
>
> > "Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684
> >

> > Taken from the middle(towards the end) of the article.
> >

> > "If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
> > removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
> > would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
> > how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
> > when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.
> >
> > I don't see Microsoft committing antitrust suicide, as it would open a
> > string of lawsuits alleging perjury. So if the EU wins its case and
> > demands the removal of Media Player, and the software giant says it
> > can't do so because it would break Windows, could such an action cause
> > the EC to ban the Windows desktop from Europe?
> >
> > If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all dilemmas.
> > On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the other a possible
> > European ban, which would put the Open Source desktop on a fast track to
> > rapid and widespread use."

> Just to further complicate Microsoft's life:
>
> <http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=382438 5&section=news>
>
> "BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Microsoft rival has used
> show-and-tell to make its point that the software giant
> need not cripple its popular Windows operating system to
> comply with EU regulators' demands, a source familiar
> with the case has said."
>
> "...RealNetworks demonstrated a version of a product
> known as "Windows XP Embedded" to show the operating
> system could work well without Windows Media Player, a
> source familiar with the case said."
>
> "The product seemed to work fine to many of those sitting
> in the hearing room, the source said."

i would love to see them try that with Longhorn, because it wont work -
medea will be built into windows - ie open up your favorate chat program
there could be some video / animation going on in the background.

Steven H