Velocity Reviews

-   -   quiet PSUs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568270-quiet-psus.html)

Paul Gunson 10-29-2003 10:51 AM

quiet PSUs

i'm re-casing a desktop PC in a new box and need a psu with *quiet*
fans. the cpu is a 1.3GHz Duron... also i might look into getting a
quieter fan than the factory-default that came with the Duron... any
recommendations welcome.

the PSU i'm considering is the Thermaltake W0002RAC, Silent PurePower
300W, any bad experiences with this brand...? it will have to fit in an
InWin H500 desktop case.

cheers

Nick Smith 10-29-2003 11:00 AM

Re: quiet PSUs

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:51:40 +1300, Paul Gunson
<spammers@bottomoftheocean.com> wrote:

>i'm re-casing a desktop PC in a new box and need a psu with *quiet*
>fans. the cpu is a 1.3GHz Duron... also i might look into getting a
>quieter fan than the factory-default that came with the Duron... any
>recommendations welcome.
>
>the PSU i'm considering is the Thermaltake W0002RAC, Silent PurePower
>300W, any bad experiences with this brand...? it will have to fit in an
>InWin H500 desktop case.
>
>cheers

I just recently replaced my Icute 320W with a Thermaltake 420W and its
great..

NOTE: These are not made by Thermaltake, but are sold under 3 brand names that
I have found so far..

They also did good in reviews on Toms..

Brett Mason 10-30-2003 07:46 AM

Re: quiet PSUs

Paul Gunson wrote:

> i'm re-casing a desktop PC in a new box and need a psu with *quiet*
> fans. the cpu is a 1.3GHz Duron... also i might look into getting a
> quieter fan than the factory-default that came with the Duron... any
> recommendations welcome.
>
> the PSU i'm considering is the Thermaltake W0002RAC, Silent PurePower
> 300W, any bad experiences with this brand...? it will have to fit in an
> InWin H500 desktop case.
>
> cheers

I'm running an enermax 350W and its great. Both fans are temperature
controlled, and virtually silent even when its running hot.

For a desktop case the amount of cable included may be a problem because the
included wires are long and there is a lot of them. I wound up with a rats
nest in the bottom of my icute tower.

The 350W was ~$130, you could save a bit getting a 300W.

Brett.

T.N.O. 10-30-2003 07:47 PM

Re: quiet PSUs

Brett Mason wrote:
> For a desktop case the amount of cable included may be a problem because the
> included wires are long and there is a lot of them. I wound up with a rats
> nest in the bottom of my icute tower.

I tucked the wires above the top CDrom drive... it seems to have plenty
of room up there.