Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cringley Responds to MS' Ballmer on Open Source (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568208-cringley-responds-to-ms-ballmer-on-open-source.html)

steve 10-24-2003 04:59 AM

Cringley Responds to MS' Ballmer on Open Source

Well worth a read.....

Max Burke 10-24-2003 09:38 AM

Re: Cringley Responds to MS' Ballmer on Open Source

> steve scribbled:
> Well worth a read.....
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20031023.html

Hardly; It's just the usual quasi-religious beliefs of someone who
'writes' sensasionilist 'storries' about the IT world for a living, and
claims that it's advocacy for OSS/*nix...

I lost track of the point he was trying to make when he started talking
about creating computer software is an 'art,' not a business.

I'm surprised he missed out the bit about how OSS/*nix is going to "save
us all from a new dark age" when her claimed that Microsoft's views of
OSS/*nix hurts us all......
I mean, really, hands up those who think they're being hurt and
victimised because Microsoft holds OSS/*nix in 'low reagrd' as a viable
commercial 'entity?'

Anyone who tells you, or tries to convince you that their favorite
operating system is somehow immune to market forces, human error, and
plain malice, is doing both you and the operating system they espouse a
disservice.
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20030124S0013/5

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

Lennier 10-25-2003 12:45 AM

Re: Cringley Responds to MS' Ballmer on Open Source

Huh?

You're not making sense.

Lennier

T.N.O. 10-26-2003 12:51 AM

Re: Cringley Responds to MS' Ballmer on Open Source

"Max Burke" wrote
> Hardly; It's just the usual quasi-religious beliefs of someone who
> 'writes' sensasionilist 'storries' about the IT world for a living, and
> claims that it's advocacy for OSS/*nix...

Well I think it is somewhere between the two really... but ummm yeah, he
sounds a little to intense.

steve 10-26-2003 12:20 PM

Lennier allegedly said:

> Huh?
>
> You're not making sense.
>
> Lennier

Max rarely ever does. He's as bad as Woger where MS is concerned.

Chris Wilkinson 10-28-2003 07:36 AM

Re: Cringley Responds to MS' Ballmer on Open Source

Hi there,

T.N.O. wrote:
> "Max Burke" wrote
>
>>Hardly; It's just the usual quasi-religious beliefs of someone who
>>'writes' sensasionilist 'storries' about the IT world for a living, and
>>claims that it's advocacy for OSS/*nix...

> Well I think it is somewhere between the two really... but ummm yeah, he
> sounds a little to intense.

....and he sure knows how to use his cut & paste. His precise wording of
parts of his email have appeared prior to this, in other Win vs.Lin debates...

Are we sure he isn't just a bot of some sort? ;-)

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.