Velocity Reviews

-   -   Running SETI from a floppy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568145-running-seti-from-a-floppy.html)

Dogg 10-20-2003 07:39 PM

Running SETI from a floppy

HI all,

I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
real good go at it yet.

http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

Bret 10-20-2003 08:31 PM

Re: Running SETI from a floppy

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <none@all.com> wrote:

>HI all,
>
>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
>real good go at it yet.
>
>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
DSE have these
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH7975

which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

Dogg 10-20-2003 09:01 PM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:44 +1300, Bret <at@at.corn> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <none@all.com> wrote:
>
>>HI all,
>>
>>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
>>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
>>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
>>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
>>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
>>real good go at it yet.
>>
>>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

>Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
>DSE have these
>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH7975
>
>which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

This version allows you to add the e100.o (Intel) module which I've
done but something aint happening...

Basically, at any given time, I've got a bunch of P4 machines sitting
around here doing nothing that have built in Intel cards that I just
wanna plug in, stick in the floppy and leave running for as long as
possible :). If I had to stick another card in every time, it would be
just as easy to copy the seti folder across and run it from the
command prompt (which I've been doing).

harry 10-20-2003 09:36 PM

"Dogg" <none@all.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:44 +1300, Bret <at@at.corn> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <none@all.com> wrote:
> >
> >>HI all,
> >>
> >>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
> >>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
> >>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
> >>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
> >>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
> >>real good go at it yet.
> >>
> >>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

> >Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
> >DSE have these

>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...73fc0a87f99078

b/Product/View/XH7975

> >which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

> This version allows you to add the e100.o (Intel) module which I've
> done but something aint happening...
>
> Basically, at any given time, I've got a bunch of P4 machines sitting
> around here doing nothing that have built in Intel cards that I just
> wanna plug in, stick in the floppy and leave running for as long as
> possible :). If I had to stick another card in every time, it would be
> just as easy to copy the seti folder across and run it from the
> command prompt (which I've been doing).

Have you declared the new module in /etc/modules.conf ?

Dogg 10-20-2003 09:55 PM

Re: Running SETI from a floppy

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:36:32 +1300, "harry" <aa@bb.cc> wrote:

<snip>

>Have you declared the new module in /etc/modules.conf ?

Yeah..that's where I got confused. Where do I put it and what is the
syntax? It's something like insmod [mount] [dir] /$e100.o $args...?
I'm guessing [dir] is lib/modules but what's the mount? dev/fd0?

Excuse my complete lack of Linux knowledge!

harry 10-20-2003 11:40 PM

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:36:32 +1300, "harry" <aa@bb.cc> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> >Have you declared the new module in /etc/modules.conf ?
> >

> Yeah..that's where I got confused. Where do I put it and what is the
> syntax? It's something like insmod [mount] [dir] /$e100.o $args...?
> I'm guessing [dir] is lib/modules but what's the mount? dev/fd0?
>
> Excuse my complete lack of Linux knowledge!

From the link you provided, it looks like the disk is the Dachstein LEAF
distro normally used as a floppy router
This link has the instructions for adding modules
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/di...ein/readme.txt
If you use the lrcfg menu, you can navigate to /etc/modules and just add the
name of the module to the text string so that it gets loaded at boot time.
You then need to save the configuration from the menu.
You can also edit /etc/modules directly.
This article also has a description
http://www.trevormarshall.com/byte_articles/byte20.htm

Dogg 10-21-2003 02:50 AM

Re: Running SETI from a floppy

Aaarrgghh! Where does it mention this on the Seti@Home page?

Dogg 10-21-2003 02:57 AM

Re: Running SETI from a floppy

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:07:08 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
wrote:

<snip>

Okay,....I actually went and had a look. It's a pain they can't just
transfer everyone's stats...

Dogg 10-21-2003 03:02 AM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:57:02 +1300, Dogg <none@all.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:07:08 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
>wrote:
>

><snip>
>
>Okay,....I actually went and had a look. It's a pain they can't just
>transfer everyone's stats...

Okay.....I read the whole thing this time...disregard all previous
posts.

T.N.O. 10-21-2003 03:08 AM

Re: Running SETI from a floppy

"~misfit~" wrote
> I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
> the new client and we can keep the group running.

When will the new client be available? any ideas...