Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t568044-non-http-upload-download-speed-calculator.html)

Adam Banks 10-13-2003 12:43 AM

Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator
 
I need to be able to test my ADSL bandwidth/speed periodically for
online gaming sessions.

Apart from http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html, are any
other NZ based sites or mechanisms for achieving this?

As most ISPs use traffic shaping/caching/proxy servers for HTTP, I
suspect any HTTP based system (as Jetstream Games) may not give a true
picture.

Any clues, anyone?

Adam.

Paul Mathews 10-13-2003 12:54 AM

Re: Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator
 
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:43:06 +1300, Adam Banks
<adam_j_banksREMOVE@THISyahoo.com> wrote:

>I need to be able to test my ADSL bandwidth/speed periodically for
>online gaming sessions.
>
>Apart from http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html, are any
>other NZ based sites or mechanisms for achieving this?
>
>As most ISPs use traffic shaping/caching/proxy servers for HTTP, I
>suspect any HTTP based system (as Jetstream Games) may not give a true
>picture.
>
>Any clues, anyone?
>
>Adam.


Netstat Live..

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm


Its FREE..



Acetyldehyde 10-13-2003 10:41 PM

Re: Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator
 
DU meter. Very good but requires payment after 30 days (or crack)


"Paul Mathews" <pmathews@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fstjovopbk3c5btfmjas9pti236283rnjl@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:43:06 +1300, Adam Banks
> <adam_j_banksREMOVE@THISyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to be able to test my ADSL bandwidth/speed periodically for
> >online gaming sessions.
> >
> >Apart from http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html, are any
> >other NZ based sites or mechanisms for achieving this?
> >
> >As most ISPs use traffic shaping/caching/proxy servers for HTTP, I
> >suspect any HTTP based system (as Jetstream Games) may not give a true
> >picture.
> >
> >Any clues, anyone?
> >
> >Adam.

>
> Netstat Live..
>
> http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm
>
>
> Its FREE..
>
>




Paul Mathews 10-13-2003 11:35 PM

Re: Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator
 
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:41:52 +1300, "Acetyldehyde" <acetone@orcon.net.en_zed>
wrote:

>DU meter. Very good but requires payment after 30 days (or crack)
>




I can't see your point in posting this..?

My one is FREE.


>"Paul Mathews" <pmathews@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:fstjovopbk3c5btfmjas9pti236283rnjl@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:43:06 +1300, Adam Banks
>> <adam_j_banksREMOVE@THISyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to be able to test my ADSL bandwidth/speed periodically for
>> >online gaming sessions.
>> >
>> >Apart from http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html, are any
>> >other NZ based sites or mechanisms for achieving this?
>> >
>> >As most ISPs use traffic shaping/caching/proxy servers for HTTP, I
>> >suspect any HTTP based system (as Jetstream Games) may not give a true
>> >picture.
>> >
>> >Any clues, anyone?
>> >
>> >Adam.

>>
>> Netstat Live..
>>
>> http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm
>>
>>
>> Its FREE..
>>
>>

>



T.N.O. 10-13-2003 11:59 PM

Re: Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator
 
"Paul Mathews" wrote
> >DU meter. Very good but requires payment after 30 days (or crack)


> I can't see your point in posting this..?
> My one is FREE.


they are called options Roger, some want to pay for software that has more
features or a particular feature that they like.



AD. 10-14-2003 12:17 AM

Re: Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator
 
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:35:30 +1300, Paul Mathews wrote:

> I can't see your point in posting this..?
>
> My one is FREE.


So is Linux.

Or are some things are worth paying extra for? Make your mind up.

Adam Banks 10-16-2003 11:33 AM

Re: Non HTTP upload/download speed calculator
 
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:54:11 +1300, Paul Mathews wrote:

>>I need to be able to test my ADSL bandwidth/speed periodically for
>>online gaming sessions.
>>
>>Apart from http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html, are any
>>other NZ based sites or mechanisms for achieving this?
>>
>>As most ISPs use traffic shaping/caching/proxy servers for HTTP, I
>>suspect any HTTP based system (as Jetstream Games) may not give a true
>>picture.
>>
>>Any clues, anyone?
>>
>>Adam.

>
>Netstat Live..
>Its FREE..


Paul - thanks for that - it's one of the better DL meters (and yes, it
is FREE <g>).

However, it seems (to me) more designed to *monitoring* your
connection. I was hoping for something [simple] that runs a standard
test for both incoming and outgoing speed - as the stats Netstat
produce are a sort of average. Also, I'd need to manually ensure some
sort of traffic in both directions.

I suppose the best thing would be to run the game (or sim) first with
NSL sat in the background, quit the game then check the stats. Ideally
though, you need an idea of bandwidth speeds *before* you start trying
to link up with people.

Adam.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.