Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Case fans (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567999-case-fans.html)

Woolfie 10-09-2003 03:17 AM

Case fans
 
My case has two 80mm case fans (in addition to the PS fan and the CPU
cooler). I'm running an Athlon 1100 CPU.

Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
noise a bit.

Thanks

Rider 10-09-2003 03:38 AM

Re: Case fans
 

"Woolfie" <noname@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:9mk9ovk04c3rkrpvgravbhndohkiraee34@4ax.com...
> My case has two 80mm case fans (in addition to the PS fan and the CPU
> cooler). I'm running an Athlon 1100 CPU.
>
> Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
> noise a bit.
>
> Thanks


On an Athlon 1100??? I wouldnt think so. You'd be better off getting a more
efficient CPU cooler and removong those two case fans.

Rider




T.N.O. 10-09-2003 03:43 AM

Re: Case fans
 
"Rider" wrote
> > Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
> > noise a bit.


> On an Athlon 1100??? I wouldnt think so. You'd be better off getting a

more
> efficient CPU cooler and removong those two case fans.


All in all it depends...
What sort of case flow do you have? good bad otherwise?

What temp is the CPU usually(compared to ambient)?

Is your PSU a dual fan one?

Basically, turn one off, and see what happens to CPU temp and all round
system temp, if it isnt effected too badly, turn off the otherone, and
monitor it.

If your not sure at all, leave them on, a loud PC is better than a dead one.



Uncle StoatWarbler 10-09-2003 06:56 PM

Re: Case fans
 
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:17:10 +1300, Woolfie wrote:

> My case has two 80mm case fans (in addition to the PS fan and the CPU
> cooler). I'm running an Athlon 1100 CPU.
>
> Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
> noise a bit.


probably not, but if you rewire them to 5V you'll find they're nearly
inaudible.



T.N.O. 10-09-2003 07:37 PM

Re: Case fans
 
"Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
> probably not, but if you rewire them to 5V you'll find they're nearly
> inaudible.


If they don't spin up at 5v, try 7v.



Woolfie 10-09-2003 07:46 PM

Re: Case fans
 
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:43:09 +1300, "T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote:

>"Rider" wrote
>> > Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
>> > noise a bit.

>
>> On an Athlon 1100??? I wouldnt think so. You'd be better off getting a

>more
>> efficient CPU cooler and removong those two case fans.

>
>All in all it depends...
>What sort of case flow do you have? good bad otherwise?
>
>What temp is the CPU usually(compared to ambient)?
>
>Is your PSU a dual fan one?
>
>Basically, turn one off, and see what happens to CPU temp and all round
>system temp, if it isnt effected too badly, turn off the otherone, and
>monitor it.
>
>If your not sure at all, leave them on, a loud PC is better than a dead one.
>



Thanks for the feedback. The BIOS is reporting the CPU temp as
63C/145F and the System temp as 29C/84F.

How do these temps rate and how much would they increase if I
disconnect the two case fans? Thanks.

T.N.O. 10-09-2003 07:57 PM

Re: Case fans
 
"Woolfie" wrote
> Thanks for the feedback. The BIOS is reporting the CPU temp as
> 63C/145F and the System temp as 29C/84F.


All depends on the temp of the room as well... they arent too bad as far as
temps go, but Bios can be misleading, as the machine has generally been
doing nothing for a while before you see those temps.

Try a program like motherboard monitor, google will have the link :) this
will tell you what the temp in Windows is(assuming your using windows)

> How do these temps rate and how much would they increase if I
> disconnect the two case fans? Thanks.


These temps are pretty much average, not too high, mine are lower, but Im in
dunedin, so with the colder climate, it helps.

Those CPU's are from memory rated to ~90 degrees, but ideally you want to
keep them as low as possible.
Turn one of the fans off, and see what the temp rises(if at all) to, make
sure that the room is about the same temp as when you measured it last time.



Aaron Lawrence 10-10-2003 10:00 AM

Re: Case fans
 
Thus spake Woolfie:
> Thanks for the feedback. The BIOS is reporting the CPU temp as
> 63C/145F and the System temp as 29C/84F.


Those sound quite high to me, especially considering there are already 2
case fans. My CPU works well under that and I'm running very minimal
cooling on a Athlon 1G

If that is idle temp the full-out temp could be almost 70 deg and if
there is any BIOS error that's very close to the 80 deg limit of some
CPUs.

Are you overclocking? What kind of CPU cooler you got?

> How do these temps rate and how much would they increase if I
> disconnect the two case fans? Thanks.


I would not decrease cooling with those temps. Then again, if the fans
aren't set up well they might not be doing much.

Maybe get a better CPU cooler, revise the case layout and you should be
able to remove at least one fan.

Example (semi-random)

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=109881


--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

T.N.O. 10-11-2003 04:07 AM

Re: Case fans
 
"Aaron Lawrence" wrote
> I would not decrease cooling with those temps. Then again, if the fans
> aren't set up well they might not be doing much.


I actually found a case a while ago where disabling two of the case fans
made the cooling beeter, there was no flow to the air movement, and killing
those fans made a better flow for the air to follow.



Uncle StoatWarbler 10-11-2003 03:40 PM

Re: Case fans
 
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:07:59 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> I actually found a case a while ago where disabling two of the case fans
> made the cooling beeter, there was no flow to the air movement, and killing
> those fans made a better flow for the air to follow.


Making ducting inaisde the machine can help a lot too. Most cases have no
concept of airflow design...

And most case modders don't either - a case can be quite efficiently
cooled with one fan if the flow is right


--
There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
1: Those which can demonstrate the provenance of every subscription request.
2: Fraud



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.