Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: email infection again (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567770-re-email-infection-again.html)

Rob 09-23-2003 12:02 AM

Re: email infection again

"Nina" <knof@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:af1vmvceu3ijgbpl8l0cp5hf0s92rvjv5s@4ax.com...
> I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me? I

dare not
> read any MS message...ever again?
>
> Nina

Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
about patches. The only email anyone is likely to receive from Microsoft
would be in response to a support request etc. So basically, if you receive
any unsolicited email purporting to be from MS, it is most probably a virus
and should be deleted without opening.

Rob

Brett Roberts 09-23-2003 01:06 AM

Re: email infection again

"Rob" <phstpok@cold-hot-warm-tepid-mail.com> wrote in message

> "Nina" <knof@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me? I

> dare not
> > read any MS message...ever again?
> >
> > Nina

> Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
> about patches. The only email anyone is likely to receive from Microsoft
> would be in response to a support request etc. So basically, if you

receive
> any unsolicited email purporting to be from MS, it is most probably a

virus
> and should be deleted without opening.
>
> Rob

Microsoft *does* send emails about potential issues (for example, you can
sign up for email update alerts at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/decision.asp ) but we
***NEVER*** send updates or patches as email attachments.

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Rob 09-23-2003 01:38 AM

Re: email infection again

"Brett Roberts" <brettrob@abcmicrosoftxyz.com> wrote in message
> "Rob" <phstpok@cold-hot-warm-tepid-mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Nina" <knof@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > > I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me?

> > dare not
> > > read any MS message...ever again?
> > >
> > > Nina

> > Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
> > about patches. The only email anyone is likely to receive from Microsoft
> > would be in response to a support request etc. So basically, if you

> receive
> > any unsolicited email purporting to be from MS, it is most probably a

> virus
> > and should be deleted without opening.
> >
> > Rob
> >

> Microsoft *does* send emails about potential issues (for example, you can
> sign up for email update alerts at
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/decision.asp ) but we
> ***NEVER*** send updates or patches as email attachments.
>
> Brett Roberts
> Microsoft NZ

Ooops, forgot about the sign-up services. But that only reinforces my point
about _unsolicited_ email.

Rob

T-Boy 09-24-2003 12:24 AM

Re: email infection again

In article <MPG.19db97fc67f81201989d3e@news.paradise.net.nz >,
*@*.* says...
> In article <bko2hi$k2c$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, phstpok@cold-hot-warm-tepid-
> mail.com says...
> >
> > "Nina" <knof@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > > I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me? I

> > dare not
> > > read any MS message...ever again?
> > >
> > > Nina

> > Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
> > about patches.

> Rubbish
>
> If you sign up to any Microsoft mailing list they do send you this
> information.

They don't send *unsolicited* email warning... (you know that
was implied).

--
Duncan